Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold: Snow/Ice - Sat 17th March Onward - READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Yawn, 2 weeks ago was enough - this weather can go **** itself at this stage. What are the chances of a nice 30c+ summer now to balance things out? :D

Well the last time Ireland had a good summer with a yr ending in 8 was back in the 1800s lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭recyclebin

What's the snow potentional with this new beast? Is it red warning territory? Parades being cancelled, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jdcv94

Do people think this will be a north easterly flow like the last round of beasterley streamers pre Emma?

If so, it can get f**ked, got caught in the Anglesey shadow last time around in Gorey before Emma came and saved the day and dropped a meter of snow almost over night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

recyclebin wrote: »
    What's the snow potentional with this new beast? Is it red warning territory? Parades being cancelled, etc?
    Hard to say - definitely not the ridiculous snowfalls and drifts we saw with Emma, but it is charging up nicely:
    445417.JPG

At present it's really the night of the 17th into the 18th that's looking like the problem. Paddy's Day might see some falls, but with a gun to my head you'd be looking at mostly sleety stuff and maybe a few short flurries.

Nothing of note to fall until well after the parades have moved on. Models are also suggesting a pretty sharp drop in temps through the day. So what will seem like decent attire at the start of the parade will feel too thin and cold by the end of it.

Worth remembering that if you head out to see anything - bring some heavier clothing for later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,079 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Spent most of the snow week eating Tuna please no more snow and please please please no more Tuna, will this be a briefer event or will it potentially last the 3-5 days again, the two weeks+ date difference would hopefully bring about a much quicker and faster thaw period too post event (yeah yeah it hasn't even happen yet and he's already talking of thaw). Crazy double dipping weather events are a thing of beauty to read about when they're thousands of miles away but we just aren't set up for such things here, thanks guys for being so through with these charts and stats, very useful in preping for such things.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

How are we fixed for bread ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Met.ie update at 9.06am..

"..St. Patrick's weekend will be very cold. Saturday, St. Patrick's Day will be dry in many areas, with bright spells, but scattered snow showers will occur, mainly in eastern coastal counties and along the south coast. Breezy, with moderate to fresh easterly winds. Max. temperatures will range from just 1 or 2 degrees in the north and east to 5 or 6 along west and southwest coasts. Saturday night will be very cold and frosty, with scattered snow showers in the eastern half of the country, but mainly dry elsewhere.

Sunday: Still very cold, with scattered snow showers, most of them in Leinster and the eastern half of Munster, but well scattered elsewhere, with sunny spells. Max. 1 to 4 Celsius. Very cold and frosty again on Sunday night, but mostly dry.

Further Outlook (Monday to Wednesday): present indications are that it will remain very cold, with frosty nights, but dry and bright. ".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Hope that those who are hoping for see more snow, get to see what they are hoping for. To be honest, I personally have had enough of this Winter and looking out at the death sludge that is my (admittedly tiny) back garden, my seasonal instinct is to get out there prepare it for the new growth of Spring. Sincerely hope we will see similar patterns over the warm part of the year, with direct easterly winds bringing intervals of proper dry weather with a pleasant, non-sticky warmth, and a good frequency of thundery spells. But given that the climate of this country is the way it is, I already know that this is asking way way too much.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Thus forum was bang on last time ,so are we getting snow in cork. Or could anything happen yet. Please say no snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

CptMackey wrote: »
    Thus forum was bang on last time ,so are we getting snow in cork. Or could anything happen yet. Please say no snow.

Too early to say. In Cork it will depend on wind direction (unless a low pressure system forms). If its a ne wing forget it, if its se then some snow showers are probable.

• Advertisement

Latest GFS run appears to indicate less precipation than earlier output. ME were calling for cold & dry conditions from next Monday onwards on the 07.55 forecast.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Well good news for anyone travelling to Cheltenham this week as there will be no disruption there. Not weatherwise anyway.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

GFS is another upgrade, deepening the cold pool of air further and increasing the prospect for some heavy snow shower activity and possibly thunderstorms particularly on east coasts.

Never saw the Thundersnow predicted during Emma. Told the missus about it and she thought i was mad.....if we get snow this time...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE THUNDERSNOW

I think Thundersnow should come with its own theme tune!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Hope that those who are hoping for see more snow, get to see what they are hoping for. To be honest, I personally have had enough of this Winter and looking out at the death sludge that is my (admittedly tiny) back garden, my seasonal instinct is to get out there prepare it for the new growth of Spring. Sincerely hope we will see similar patterns over the warm part of the year, with direct easterly winds bringing intervals of proper dry weather with a pleasant, non-sticky warmth, and a good frequency of thundery spells. But given that the climate of this country is the way it is, I already know that this is asking way way too much.

I too was hoping to spend Paddy's weekend in the garden instead of having to burn more money on fuel :(

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Snow definitely not as much as storm Emma, but we could see up to foot in places again in 24-36hr window.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

daheff wrote: »
    Never saw the Thundersnow predicted during Emma. Told the missus about it and she thought i was mad.....if we get snow this time...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE THUNDERSNOW

I think Thundersnow should come with its own theme tune!

What exactly is Thundersnow? Is it just thunder whilst snow is falling?

If it is, why is that exciting?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

There is some increasing likelihood of cold and potentially snowy weather from the east as we head toward St Patrick's weekend and in to the following week.

Still parts of lying snow in parts of Dublin and Kildare, even at low levels! Goes to show the size of the drifts and amount of snow that fell. In 2010 all the snow at lower levels disappeared in 36 hours after a temperature rise. This has been over a week and it’s still white on both sides of the Greenhills Road!

Plenty of lying snow in ditches around Mountmellick to Emo and Mountmellick to Tullamore (Scrubb Hill, Killeigh on N80 still has 1-2ft in the ditches on the high ground

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭davidsr20

As a big snow lover i can’t believe I’m saying this but I do hope the west escapes. 2 weeks ago was epic but I’m lookimg forward to spring as it’s been a severe winter all round for cold storms wind etc.

Even the last few days 10 degrees has been a nice change.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

pilly wrote: »
    What exactly is Thundersnow? Is it just thunder whilst snow is falling?

If it is, why is that exciting?

Thundersnow =Snow & thunderstorm together

I love thunderstorms, I love snow falling. Combine the 2 and its awesome (for me anyways -and a couple of others around this forum)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

davidsr20 wrote: »
    As a big snow lover i can’t believe I’m saying this but I do hope the west escapes. 2 weeks ago was epic but I’m lookimg forward to spring as it’s been a severe winter all round for cold storms wind etc.

I am the complete opposite.

I think it's too warm, too benign and too green!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

I am the complete opposite.

I think it's too warm, too benign and too green!

Emigrating is a solution if 10 degrees is to much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

I love thunderstorms, I love snow falling. Combine the 2 and its awesome (for me anyways -and a couple of others around this forum)!

A million times this..

I remember in 2010 opening my front door to watch the snow fall - the sky lit up and almost immediately the loudest clap of thunder I've ever heard in my life. Scared the effing bejaysus out of me... but ultimately thrilling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Can someone wake him up for a morning update...

p_Zra_WKH_d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

davidsr20 wrote: »

Agree totally re the winter; now I am offshore the winds are keener. But yes I long for a good snow.. sorry! It is so lovely here when it snows..

It was so disappointing last months

Been outside to see if Croagh Patrick still has snow as they say here that that means yes, more snow, but it is playing coy and hiding head in the clouds

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Strangegravy

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Pwindedd wrote: »
    A million times this..

I remember in 2010 opening my front door to watch the snow fall - the sky lit up and almost immediately the loudest clap of thunder I've ever heard in my life. Scared the effing bejaysus out of me... but ultimately thrilling :D

Always loved to see thundersnow only saw it once in 2010, I saw this on youtube I think it illustrates what is so cool about it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp1B7vfsoEw

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

We had thunder snow during Emma in the midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Graces7 wrote: »
    Been outside to see if Croagh Patrick still has snow as they say here that that means yes, more snow, but it is playing coy and hiding head in the clouds

Please let me know if there is snow on cone of Croagh Patrick and/or if you see Punxsatawney Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Please let me know if there is snow on cone of Croagh Patrick and/or if you see Punxsatawney Phil.

Just a tiny amount; Croagh Patrick that is as I am not...... er.... aquainted with PP !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Still the remnants of drifts around county Wexford. People won't be happy to see more snow at the weekend.

Advertisement