Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Think I put too much oil in my car

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

With my years of mechanical experience, I would advise to give the ex-husband another chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

If he’s going to completely drain the engine of oil and replace it with fresh new oil, it might as well be worth getting a new oil filter (€7-€12), thus giving the engine a full oil service!

When was the last time it had an oil service? (Time since or km’s driven since?)

Good point definitely worth doing the filter but they will have a job to get one of a Saturday night on a bank holiday unless the mechanic has one where he’s based

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

If he’s going to completely drain the engine of oil and replace it with fresh new oil, it might as well be worth getting a new oil filter (€7-€12), thus giving the engine a full oil service!

When was the last time it had an oil service? (Time since or km’s driven since?)

Doubt he'll completely drain it, he's coming from Wicklow, I'm in Dublin so he'll only have whatever tools he can bring with him. Doubt he'd have spare oil filters either, maybe but I don't know. It was serviced last December with Toyota, I'm assuming they changed the oil etc.
    Is the car manual or automatic? Is there a chance you are looking at the gearbox oil dipstick?

Didn't even know there was such a thing. But I am fairly sure, like 99%, that I was checking the engine oil dipstick. In fact, my dad was out with me a month ago and I had to get him to open the oil cap as it had been screwed in way too tightly and I checked the dipstick then in front of him and he made no comment of using the wrong one, and he can do a basic service of his own car. Hadn't bought the oil at the time but because he was around at the time, got him to loosen the cap.
    bfa1509 wrote: »
    With my years of mechanical experience, I would advise to give the ex-husband another chance.

Not helpful. He wasn't a mechanic and couldn't do much, but he did top up my oil and water and check my tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The oil dipstick is right behind the filler car and is bright yellow, so I’d assume the OP saw it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

Just finished with the mechanic. He drained almost 3L, so the car actually didn't even need oil. He also said my dipstick is very hard to read and to just keep a 1L bottle in the car and every now and again top it up with a bit of that.

Thanks for all the responses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

So you were running the car no oil before you topped it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes, sounds like it.
    Either way OP, hope you now can read the dipstick so it won't happen again.
    Check level quite often (maybe every time you get petrol to start) so you learn how fast the car burns oil. You don't want it to seize.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

tuxy wrote: »
    It sounds like she added 3 litres to the existing level and the chap drained that?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

The small engine cannot possibly hold 6L oil
    I'm confused now :(

Wibbs wrote: »
    It sounds like she added 3 litres to the existing level and the chap drained that?

Yep you're correct, I misread.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Though on that score I knew a bloke many moons ago with an old Fiesta, where from what I could gather, he had left it in for a service a few weeks back and the mechanic had drained it, put on a new filter, but forgot to add in new oil. Yep. This guy wasn't mechanically minded so thought it sounded a bit "loud" drove it on the regular for those weeks. He noticed a burning smell and it had overheated but on he went. I looked at the dipstick and it was dry as a bone. :eek: I filled it up and he was all pleased that it sounded so much better. How it survived that still staggers me, but gave me a new respect for the engine that was in it. This was pre NCT days and it ran a bot smokey alright but it ran and he held onto it for a couple of years.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

When I did my mothers Yaris a few weeks ago, I don't think I got more than about 1L of oil out of it!!

As I said earlier, the 1L yaris is thirsty for oil, and needs regular checking!!

An example of no oil in an engine;

As I said earlier, the 1L yaris is thirsty for oil, and needs regular checking!!

You said it needs a top up every 8,000-10,000km , the service interval for new oil and filter is 8000km. How can it be considered thirsty for oil if it needs no oil between service intervals?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Pop

P.

You said it needs a top up every 8,000-10,000km , the service interval for new oil and filter is 8000km. How can it be considered thirsty for oil if it needs no oil between service intervals?

Service interval on a Yaris is 15000km.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

I was watching an old Fifth Gear on youtube the other week, one of the presenters did an experiment where they drained the oil completely from and old car and drove it till it seized. I was very surprised how well it went, for such a long time before it gave up!

Found it!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I was watching an old Fifth Gear on youtube the other week, one of the presenters did an experiment where they drained the oil completely from and old car and drove it till it seized. I was very surprised how well it went, for such a long time before it gave up!

Found it!

I posted that same clip only 4 posts back!

You can't expect someone to read that far back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Sorry!

Great minds and all that!

Wibbs wrote: »
    Though on that score I knew a bloke many moons ago with an old Fiesta, where from what I could gather, he had left it in for a service a few weeks back and the mechanic had drained it, put on a new filter, but forgot to add in new oil. Yep. This guy wasn't mechanically minded so thought it sounded a bit "loud" drove it on the regular for those weeks. He noticed a burning smell and it had overheated but on he went. I looked at the dipstick and it was dry as a bone. :eek: I filled it up and he was all pleased that it sounded so much better. How it survived that still staggers me, but gave me a new respect for the engine that was in it. This was pre NCT days and it ran a bot smokey alright but it ran and he held onto it for a couple of years.

Just shows ya, are we going backwards or forwards with technology. If you look at my engine sideways, she goes into a huff and doesn't speak to me for days. :p

• Advertisement

This thread is like the OPs car, I’m shocked it’s still running

Advertisement