Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Think I put too much oil in my car

Options
  • 16-03-2019 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I checked the oil in my car and the dipstick was showing close to the minimum line. So I added some oil and checked it again, this time the dipstick wasn't showing anything, I checked it a few times to no avail. I added more oil, I think about 3L in total. The dipstick is still not showing anything, I don't know what I am doing wrong.

It's a 2010 1L Toyota Yaris. I had it serviced last December. It's always needed top up oil between services a few times however my ex husband used to look after this.

Have I put too much oil in it? If so, what should I do to rectify the matter?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Keep in mind the clean oil will be harder to see on the dipstick.

Don’t start the engine until you know for sure you haven’t overfilled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

I would think 3-4 liters would be a complete oild change for a 1l Yaris. Are you sure its not just showing very high on the dip stick? Its probably clear with that amount of new oil in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Keep in mind the clean oil will be harder to see on the dipstick.

Don’t start the engine until you know for sure you haven’t overfilled it.

How will I know for sure? I don't know what to do.

What will happen if I drive it and it is too full?

Take the dipstick out and clean it with a kitchen towel, make sure it’s dry.

Then put it back in and take it out again. Look for oil on the stick.

There should be a definite line between the top level of the oil and the rest f the stick.
    Monife wrote: »
    What will happen if I drive it and it is too full?

You could damage the engine.

• Advertisement

Take the dipstick out and clean it with a kitchen towel, make sure it’s dry.

Then put it back in and take it out again. Look for oil on the stick.

I did this a number of times and there was practically no oil anywhere on the stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

How will I know for sure? I don't know what to do.

If you have added 3 litres of oil its almost certainly over filled. Google says capacity is 3.2 litres. I would definitely not start it. On the underside of the engine there is a sump nut which when removed will result in the oil draining off. You will need spanner of the correct size and have a container handy for the oil. Refill with 3.2 litres of the correct grade oil.

I did this a number of times and there was practically no oil anywhere on the stick.

A Yaris only takes 3 litres of oil in the first place and if the oil was completely empty your engine would have imploded or you would have had a warning light at the least.

I’d be pretty certain that you’ve over filled it, so somebody will need to drain some oil out of the sump for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

Are you sure you are putting the oil in the right place.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let the car sit an hour after the oil fill.
    Then check.

Are you sure you are using the right dipstick?
    https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2011_Toyota_Yaris_1.5L_4_Cyl._Sedan/oil/check_oil_level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

<nope>

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

biko wrote: »
    Then check.

https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/2011_Toyota_Yaris_1.5L_4_Cyl._Sedan/oil/check_oil_level

Do you think there’s 3 litres of oil slowly working it’s way down?

Definitely checking the right dipstick, it's beside where you put the oil. Also, yes, I did put the oil in the right place, the cap says engine oil.

biko wrote: »
    Then check.

Thanks, I'll check again in an hour.

No, but when in doubt just go textbook. If you have to ask then it's best to do things by the numbers.

From seeing some oil on the dipstick to being able to fill 3 litres something isn't right.

After an hour the new and old oil will have mixed enough to show a clear line on the dipstick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

What made you check in the first place? Have you looked under the car in case theres a leak? Although for 3 liters not to show it would have to be a hole in the sump.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Maybe it's a really heavy oil :)

Was the engine hot or cold when filling with oil?

If you have breakdown assist with your car insurance, I'd call them first- usually doesn't cost anything and they could save you 1000's - as others have said, don't start the car- you have a great chance to save your precious little Yaris right now but it could go horribly wrong if you start to heat up the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭kirving

If you did put 3L of oil into the oil in, under no circumstances start the engine. Nothing bad will happen if it's not started, but you you start it, even for a minute, you could destroy the engine. You need to call a mechanic.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

3L of oil sounds way too much if it was only getting close to the minimum level mark.

My mother has a 2012 1L Yaris, and I've done the last 3-4 oil changes for her, the engine only needs about 3L of oil in total.
    The engine does need regular checking as the oil level does go down quite regularly (at least every 8,000-10,000km it will need a check/top up).

Has any oil leaked onto the ground under the engine? It seems very odd that you're not seeing anything at all on the dipstick, especially since you were seeing it close to the minimum level initially.

Do you know anyone mechanically minded that could take a look?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I think we need more info.
    Is the car in regular use, how often do you check out, what kind of service intervals do you do?

It could be something as simple as the dip stick not seating correctly or as serious as oil sludge preventing the oil draining into the pan.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Yaris takes 3.4 litres to fill after engine has completely drained of oil. So if you topped it up then you’ve just filled it twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Yaris takes 3.4 litres to fill after engine has completely drained of oil. So if you topped it up then you’ve just filled it twice.

Yeah if it was totally drained and you put 3 litres in it would be low but safe to drive.

3 litres + whatever was in it sounds very dangerous. As said loads of times already, do not start it.

Thanks for all the replies. Engine was stone cold, no oil on the ground.

My mum put me in touch with her mechanic and he said it sounds like I've overfilled it. Luckily he's going to drop out tomorrow and sort it for me.

Sound, let us know the result

Well done. Good decision. Hopefully all will be OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is the car manual or automatic? Is there a chance you are looking at the gearbox oil dipstick?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Thanks for all the replies. Engine was stone cold, no oil on the ground.

My mum put me in touch with her mechanic and he said it sounds like I've overfilled it. Luckily he's going to drop out tomorrow and sort it for me.

If he’s going to completely drain the engine of oil and replace it with fresh new oil, it might as well be worth getting a new oil filter (€7-€12), thus giving the engine a full oil service!

When was the last time it had an oil service? (Time since or km’s driven since?)

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

Don't even turn it on - you could burst seals etc. and really mess up the engine. Wait for the mechanic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

BBMcQ wrote:
    Speaks volumes about their phone customer service.

veetwin wrote:
    If you have added 3 litres of oil its almost certainly over filled. Google says capacity is 3.2 litres. I would definitely not start it. On the underside of the engine there is a sump nut which when removed will result in the oil draining off. You will need spanner of the correct size and have a container handy for the oil. Refill with 3.2 litres of the correct grade oil.

Get a loan of a vacuum pump suck out a litre ( on sale in Aldi or Lidl ATM)

Advertisement