Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What beer are we drinking this week? Episode 3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Spotted four-packs of 'Toast' pale ale and IPA in Dunnes (Athlone) today. Beers made with discarded bread, apparently. The box said they're brewed by Rascal's in Dublin, on behalf of some UK company. Anyone tried them?

Tiny Rebel and Iceland teamed up to make a beer from leftover bread. It’s called Bread Board and is exclusive to Iceland. Not sure if you can get it over here though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭Passenger

siren-craft-brew-siren-craft-brew-mavka-1547641511Siren-craft-brew-mavka-front.png

Rich, luxurious chocolate and coffee. Not a hint of coconut however. Lovely. 11.4% ABV and only €4.75 in Stephen Street News.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Tiny Rebel and Iceland teamed up to make a beer from leftover bread. It’s called Bread Board and is exclusive to Iceland. Not sure if you can get it over here though.

Thanks, 'Toast' seems to be the same concept and, as mentioned, is now being sold in Dunnes here. The pale ale is 5% and the IPA 6%. The four-packs are €9.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

The pale ale is 5% and the IPA 6%. The four-packs are €9.
    Both are currently on tap at the Rascals brewery, for anyone who doesn't fancy buying over a litre at a time.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Both are currently on tap at the Rascals brewery, for anyone who doesn't fancy buying over a litre at a time.

Only relevant if you live close to Rascals of course. Otherwise you’ll be spending the difference on bus/tram fare.

Does Dunnes have a courtesy bus now?

Does Dunnes have a courtesy bus now?

Possibly, but I’d say most people live within walking distance to a Dunnes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

How's that rascals place doing anyway?

RasTa wrote: »

I’ve only been there once, around Christmas, and I really liked it. Quite busy and the pizza was top notch. A couple of mates live in the area so they’ve been there a few times and said it’s been busy any time they’ve been there.

Sitting in it now and there's a decent crowd. 20-30 people, I'd say. Only one of the Toast beers is on, though. Anybody know where the nearest Dunnes is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Rochester Mills Brewing Co Peanut Brittle Milkshake Stout and Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake Stout.

Edit: To clarify for some, two different beers!!

D1KvYQGWsAAb1si.jpg

This beer is everywhere at the moment. You can buy your beers and drink them in the off license over here for the same price. They even have taps.

Ireland, you are so terrible you should be ashamed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Was in before the Pats Rovers game last night, nice spot and was understandably full while we were there as they do 10% off with match tickets, it'll be my go to spot when going to games there a few times a year, wouldn't be around that area any other time.

Good beer and Pizza can't really go wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,161 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

OOnegative wrote: »
    Rochester Mills Brewing Co Peanut Brittle and Toasted Marshmallow Milkshake Stout.

This is the moment.
    It's gone too far too often.
    It's been a while coming but beer has jumped the shark for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

penev10 wrote: »
    Shepherd and Neame's Christmas Ale, hunted down the last bottle in SuperValu on the quays yesterday. My favourite ale by a long margin. Only managed to find 3 bottles over the whole of xmas.

13682.thm350.jpg

If anyone spots any more let me know :)

Sorry to dig this one up but I've managed to pick up three of these just now :) Let me know if you still have a goo for them.

This beer is everywhere at the moment.
    An awful, sticky, hot, overpriced (possibly racist) mess. Thankfully they don't make it any more. Have a Rain Shadow and feel better.

An awful, sticky, hot, overpriced (possibly racist) mess. Thankfully they don't make it any more. Have a Rain Shadow and feel better.

It's not that bad, tried it on draft awhile back but not arsed going for it again.

This is my tasty beverage atm.

IDShot_540x540.jpg
    This is the moment.
    It's gone too far too often.
    It's been a while coming but beer has jumped the shark for me.

You would have enjoyed some of the stouts at the festival I was at last week

S'more BBLs, 16.2% Sour Stout and Imperial Stout blend aged in bourbon barrels with graham crackers, cacao nibs, marshmallows and vanilla

Professor Pastry (w/ Horus Aged Ales), 12.5% Pastry Stout with organic graham cracker, organic marshmallow creme and Tahitian vanilla bean

Big Ass Money Stout 2, 16% Imperial Stout with frozen pizza and money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

This beer is everywhere at the moment. You can buy your beers and drink them in the off license over here for the same price. They even have taps.

Ireland, you are so terrible you should be ashamed.

Haven't seen it here, this year yet. One of my fav stouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

IDShot_540x540.jpg

That's one fantastic beer in so many ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Spotted four-packs of 'Toast' pale ale and IPA in Dunnes (Athlone) today. Beers made with discarded bread, apparently. The box said they're brewed by Rascal's in Dublin, on behalf of some UK company. Anyone tried them?

I've tried it, watery enough would be my comment, the OH liked it but she wouldn't like anything too strong

I thought the IPA was excellent. There's a really unusual flowery hop flavour. It does a good job of mimicking Brussels Beer Project's Babylone, on which it's based. I haven't tried the pale ale yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Quintis

IDShot_540x540.jpg

Where can you pick this up?

Quintis wrote: »
    Where can you pick this up?
    Tesco and Sainsburys up north usually have it. I've not seen it in the Republic in years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Last of the Texas beers I'm trying on this trip: Karbach Love Street. This is a Kölsch along the same lines as another favourite Houston beer, Saint Arnold Fancy Lawnmower, so I had to try it despite the silly name. Slightly more hoppy than expected, which is a good thing.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,528 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Tesco and Sainsburys up north usually have it. I've not seen it in the Republic in years.

A couple of years ago when it still had the old label, I was able to get it locally - possibly Molloys but probably Dunnes. Haven't seen it since though :(

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Any sightings of Porterhouse Chocolate Truffle Stout in the wild yet? Must be soon time for it.

slayerking wrote: »
    Any sightings of Porterhouse Chocolate Truffle Stout in the wild yet? Must be soon time for it.
    They said they'd have it at the Alltech festival this weekend so it'll be in the pubs in the next day or two, I'm sure.

I've been underwhelmed before with Yellowbelly beers. Against my better judgment I picked up a couple of Citra Pale Ales, Jesus Christ talk about almost entirely lacking in any sort of flavour at all. BB 02/20 so it's not that. Considering pouring it down the sink

Had a Lagunitas 12th of Never earlier which had a really nice sour note to it.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My experience is that there are some bloody awful batches of Citra, its usually fine but occasionally you have to wonder how it passed QC. Suspect its why my local shop stopped stocking it; should probably ask seeing as I know the owner somewhat well!

They still stock the lager and also every other Irish craft they have ever stocked that hasn't gone out of business (Arthurstown), so they don't dump things often.

They have QC? :P

I got 2 of these (and an On The Fritz) for €10 but they're only 440mL cans and 4.8%/4.5% respectively, I thought what they lacked in bang per buck would be made up for in flavour! Guinness Citra is miles better than this stuff. I've no idea what the On The Fritz will be like, but expectations are now rock bottom

Never buying anything Yellowbelly again :mad:

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

The On The Fritz is better, but still pretty meh, and bad value for money

They should put as much effort into the beer as they do into the labels.

Scrap the cap!

The On The Fritz is better, but still pretty meh, and bad value for money

They should put as much effort into the beer as they do into the labels.

The labelling and brewing appears to be 100% separate, if you believe the label on this one :pac:

https://mitchellandson.com/products/yellowbelly-pauls-on-holiday-maibock-33cl-can

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

A couple of years ago when it still had the old label, I was able to get it locally - possibly Molloys but probably Dunnes. Haven't seen it since though :(

My Tesco used to have it all the time, with the old label. I liked it too. Be interesting to taste it now to see what I thought as I've drank a lot more stuff since then. As said, haven't seen it down here for a long time.

D1aGFT0X4AE17Ug.jpg

Divine Right of kings, collab with Old Chimneys. They left a bit of it in the barrel for another 4 months and it's one of the best imperial stouts I've had in a long long time. No pastry just stout. Buy all the cans if you see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Ryath

Divine Right of kings, collab with Old Chimneys. They left a bit of it in the barrel for another 4 months and it's one of the best imperial stouts I've had in a long long time. No pastry just stout. Buy all the cans if you see it.

Where did you pick it up? Finished my Christmas collection of stouts and want to get a few more, selection locally is poor my local Tesco and O'Briens have feck all at the minute. I did get a Yeastie Boys Breakfast Club Waffle and Blueberry Breakfast Stout in O'Briens the other day. Enjoyed it maybe a touch too sweet.

Carry Out in does have a few ones. White Gypsy Old Smoke made a nice change. See their pale ales aren't well thought but to my taste Yellowbelly It's not Vodka and colab with Wicklow Wolf, Wolf of Maltstreet were quite decent.

Selection of imperial stouts to me seemed poor to me this year. Off licences seemed to just get one or two cases of a beer in and that was it. May just stock up more when I see them!

RasTa is in Manchester I think.

Ryath wrote: »
    Where did you pick it up? Finished my Christmas collection of stouts and want to get a few more

Yeah I'm in Manchester, I've seen most of the Northern Monk beers making it over to Ireland now but the one I'm in love with is meant to be a webshop and refectory exclusive so who knows. The 10.5% one in the photo is a PP beer so that will make it over

Think Pro-Addition distribute their beers so you could ask them.

Had the Trouble / Dead Centre peach and white chocolate IPA yesterday. Should have had a half, a full pint is a bit of a slog.

Why does every pub over here serve guinness with the super chilled badge? Couldn't find a normal one today although it's rare that I'm looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭sceach16

Why does every pub over here serve guinness with the super chilled badge? Couldn't find a normal one today although it's rare that I'm looking

First, where is here? Second from my here (Dublin), I agree. As you head further south/west stout is warmer and (IMO) nicer.

Solution is to head to Cork and drink Murphy's. I am a jack!

• Advertisement

Are Heineken really pushing Beamish now or have I just started going to older audience pubs most of the time?

Never noticed it on taps with the frequency I've seen recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭poitinstill

got the alc free IPA in lidl 99c a 330 bottle. "powered by perlenbacher"
    about as nice a alc free beer as ive ever had.

Having a can of the Cloudwater x White Hag collaboration, Cairde Gan Teorainneacha, a Black IPA. Really nice, very Cloudwater.

There are 3 dates on the Can, COD which I assume is the canned on date, FFB ????, and BBE which is obviously the Best Before End date.
    The dates are, 15/02/19, 05/06/19 and 05/07/19 respectively. Anyone know what the FFB is?

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

According to Cloudwater, it's "Freshest Flavour Before".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Reel Deel 'Say Nowt Stout' which I picked up in Aldi. Pleasant, easy-drinking stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

L1011 wrote: »
    Are Heineken really pushing Beamish now or have I just started going to older audience pubs most of the time?

Yeah I think they are pushing it recently. There was a Beamish promo night (free pints and merch) recently in O'Sullivans pub in Bray. Have never seen that anywhere before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,941 ✭✭✭krustydoyle

Tried Yellowbellys new Saison. Wheres Wallonia.. its decent

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Had a can of Beavertown collab Milk Stout called Lust last night, pretty good but pricey like most of their stuff.
    Dot Brewing Straight up IPA was a decent effort. Nice to have a refreshing lemon sherbet flavour instead of a thick orangey soup.

Uncle_moe wrote: »
    Had a can of Beavertown collab Milk Stout called Lust last night, pretty good but pricey like most of their stuff.
    Dot Brewing Straight up IPA was a decent effort. Nice to have a refreshing lemon sherbet flavour instead of a thick orangey soup.
    I really liked that Beavertown one with Beak Brewery.

Picked up a few from Dot Brewing too, including the Straight Up IPA, wasn't impressed with them at all, which is surprising because anything I've had from them is usually top notch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

L1011 wrote: »

Big time, have been for quite a while now. Murphy's very much the poor relation these days and will be dropped at some stage I reckon. IMHO they've also altered the Murphy's recipe several years ago too, making it very bland - would take Beamish over it any day now. Also, strangely enough, myself and several others have noted significant problems with the widgets in cans of Murphy's not working.

Advertisement