Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marvel's Black Panther (2018)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,538 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Angela Bassett has joined the cast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,675 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,906 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Even superheroes and superpowers are in third world countries in the MCU

Looks quite good but the influx of superhero movies is getting tiresome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Looks good. I liked how every time in Civil War they "accidentally" or "coincidentally" had him not really have the opportunity to land a proper blow.

I'm guessing we'll get to see a fair show of his powers this time.

From what I remember... before they cancelled Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes.. he was stronger and faster than most of em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

That looks class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,254 ✭✭✭✭Penn

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Even superheroes and superpowers are in third world countries in the MCU

Looks quite good but the influx of superhero movies is getting tiresome

Wakanda was never a third world country. It's an extremely technologically advanced and wealthy country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Is this an origin story ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,891 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Was expecting Randy Orton to hit an RKO out of nowhere when Black Panther was flipping from one car to the other there.

Enjoyed that trailer I must say.

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    Is this an origin story ?

It would want to be! .. BUT.. Civil War is now part of the Origin Story because that's where T'Challas dad gets murdered by the UN bomb that Zemo did (and blamed on Bucky).

So this is probably going to be an intro to Wakanda and the royal family there and how someone gets to be/stay as Black Panther.

Oh and Cap will be there hiding out from Iron Man and I assume something will be coming out of the Thor film and it'll be getting pretty close to the Infinity War story and it'll probably have some build up for Capt Marvel and woah that's a lot of stuff.

Yep, this is gonna be good!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I can't shake the feeling this is just a loose remake of Eddie Murphy's Coming to America, :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks colourful; the standard grading seems to still be there, but between this, Guardians 2 and Thor Ragnoroks own apparently boosted palette, I wonder if Marvel is finally trying to add some vibrancy to its movies.

As much as I love Andy Serkis, a much underappreciated actor for sure, his accent sure is thick. Wonder how it sounds to actual Afrikaans' ears...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Will probably watch that, likely while inebriated. Pity they couldn't get Arnold Vosloo as the baddie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Do anyone but the Irish care about the leprechauns accent in American Gods?

I can't wait to see this.. And Ragnarok..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

my bet would be this one is gonna be a political power struggle one.

daddy got snuffed on the sons watch so i can see someone challenging him to the right to rule wakanda.

which'd prob mean virtually the whole film will be set in wakanda.

i mean steve and co are already there so whats the need to go to the states ?

particularly as tchalla's virtually already done that in civil war.

cant WAIT to see what they do with wakanda. its a blank canvas to get creative.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Do anyone but the Irish care about the leprechauns accent in American Gods?

I can't wait to see this.. And Ragnarok..

It's just a passing thought and curiosity, don't mistake it for 'caring' or insult. Obviously a terrible Oirish accent is noticeable, but I was curious how other nationalities fare when their own tongue is imitated, whether Serkis' attempt is as grating as what often passes for 'Irish '. It sounds clumsy, but given the actors own talents I'd wonder if it was actually a decent approximation to a native speaker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

my bet would be this one is gonna be a political power struggle one.

daddy got snuffed on the sons watch so i can see someone challenging him to the right to rule wakanda.

which'd prob mean virtually the whole film will be set in wakanda.

i mean steve and co are already there so whats the need to go to the states ?

particularly as tchalla's virtually already done that in civil war.

cant WAIT to see what they do with wakanda. its a blank canvas to get creative.

Dunno about Steve being there. He was there at the end of Civil War but I'd imagine he's moved along at this point. I love seeing as much Cap as possible but it'd be nice to have this confined to Black Panther if possible.

black-panther.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,110 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

BlackPantherComicConPoster.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,073 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Still looks like Seymour Skinner as Catwoman to me.

As this person's tweet suggests.

https://twitter.com/EzeSinEnsayo/status/729434060762828807

Hopefully it'll be a good film though, I liked his character in his first outing.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Need to see that footage! :)

Get Even Madder You Can't See That Black Panther Comic-Con Footage By Watching the Cast's Ecstatic Reaction to It
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/get-even-madder-you-cant-see-that-black-panther-comic-c-1797174409

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/889216274189778944

I'm probably not gonna read the description they linked to.

New Trailer

That scene just before the thumbnail above was really cool!

black-panther-poster.jpg?q=35&w=864&h=1279&fit=crop&dpr=1.5

The Trailer for this in 3D on the IMAX before Thor: Ragnarok!

YUH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭conor222

I'm getting very excited for this, initial reviews are extremely good
    Also, I'm a huge fan of Coogler and Jordan so probably not all that surprising :pac:
    https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/the-first-reactions-to-black-panther-are-in-and-theyre-incredible-614435

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭kerplun k

conor222 wrote: »
    I'm getting very excited for this, initial reviews are extremely good
    Also, I'm a huge fan of Coogler and Jordan so probably not all that surprising :pac:
    https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/the-first-reactions-to-black-panther-are-in-and-theyre-incredible-614435

I'm not trying to damping your excitement or anything, but I wouldn't read too much into the early twitter reviews and reactions. I bought into this bullsh*t with Justice league.

http://www.thisisinsider.com/justice-league-reviews-early-2017-11

It boils down to nothing more than marketing from the studios, and click bait for the likes of Joe.ie. Don't waste you time reading that trash.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's the obligatory caveat for any of these blockbuster films that 'first reviews' via Twitter are nearly always coloured by the junkets and open bribery the studio conducted in getting those folks to the showings. That or the standard hyperbole and binary thinking that pollutes the language of social media .

That said, I have very low expectations of this, having fairly minimal experience or admitted knowledge of the source material - so it's unlikely to disappoint :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Someone set up a Facebook group devoted to voting the user score down on Rotten Tomatoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

ps3lover wrote: »
    Someone set up a Facebook group devoted to voting the user score down on Rotten Tomatoes.

Have they given a reason why?

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

FunLover18 wrote: »

My guess would be either extremist Snyder/DC fans or people who think having a black lead character somehow makes the film a left wing propaganda piece.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    The group – that consists of 2,000 members so far – plans to “strike back” against their alleged unfair treatment of DC’s films by pledging to give Black Panther a rotten audience review once the movie hits theaters. Not only that, but they plan on spreading spoilers to Marvel fans of their choosing to further take away from the film’s enjoyment.

https://screenrant.com/black-panther-angry-dc-fans-rotten-tomatoes/

Hah, what I tell ya?

• Advertisement

That's... I mean ... like ...

Urgh.

Yeah, I'm actually genuinely a bit speechless at that; I've said it before, and I'll say it again: imagine a world where that kind of righteous anger & indignation was channelled into something that mattered. 1000 problems in this world, and these folks go to war over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

That is one of, if not THE, most pathetic thing I've ever heard.

Surprised that it's fanboys. Was expecting the usual alt right characters. Ready excuse for rubbishing fan scores on RT etc. though.

Oh I'm fairly confident the alt-right trolls will pop up at some stage, particularly if once left-leaning outlets start focusing on the fact this is the first big black superhero film ('Steel' doesn't count, right? :D ).

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh I'm fairly confident the alt-right trolls will pop up at some stage, particularly if once left-leaning outlets start focusing on the fact this is the first big black superhero film ('Steel' doesn't count, right? :D ).

Blade surely counts. Also at a stretch Blank Man, Meteor Man, Hancock, Spawn...

• Advertisement

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Blade surely counts. Also at a stretch Blank Man, Meteor Man, Hancock, Spawn...

True, forgot about Blade - man, that franchise seem like aeons ago. That makes me feel old! And as for the others, I did say "first, big" ;) certainly the first of the MCU, which does exist within its own subset of the blockbuster at this stage anyway.

pixelburp wrote: »
    True, forgot about Blade - man, that franchise seem like aeons ago. That makes me feel old! And as for the others, I did say "first, big" ;) certainly the first of the MCU, which does exist within its own subset of the blockbuster at this stage anyway.

Whaddaya mean Blank Man wasn't big? :pac:

On a more local note, the first critic to rate it as rotten is Ed Power for the Indo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I do hope the film is good and not full of "progressive" messages, I just want a good film with some standout performances. If the film is not good I do hope that any negative reviews are not just written off as "alt-right trolls"

Ed Power of the Irish Independent is the first on rotten tomatoes to give the film a negative score.
    http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/08/black-panther-knocked-off-rotten-tomatoes-perch-getting-first-bad-review-7298150/

Edit, I missed Hande hoche! already mentioned this on the last page.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I do hope the film is good and not full of "progressive" messages, I just want a good film with some standout performances. If the film is not good I do hope that any negative reviews are not just written off as "alt-right trolls"

Yeah, I also hope people don't start seeing and moaning about the progressive message boogeyman everywhere and then make clearly racist/sexist complaints

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Seen comments on the Indos review but it's fine, he mentioned Trump so with a bit of mental gymnastics they can blame the poor review on "Trump's America"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭conorhal

Ed Power of the Irish Independent is the first on rotten tomatoes to give the film a negative score.
    http://metro.co.uk/2018/02/08/black-panther-knocked-off-rotten-tomatoes-perch-getting-first-bad-review-7298150/

Edit, I missed Hande hoche! already mentioned this on the last page.

Shouldn't the alt-right be cheering on a proud nationalist, anti-globalist, anti immigration leader of an ethno-state? :pac:

conorhal wrote: »
    Shouldn't the alt-right be cheering on a proud nationalist, anti-globalist, anti immigration leader of an ethno-state? :pac:

Yeah, I read a few articles saying Black Panther was the first superhero who really embodies the ideals of the alt right, lol.

I would say most fans at least outside of the USA will just view it as a superhero movie that just happens to be about an advanced African civilization and not attach any special meaning to it which is the way it should be. I will see it Friday and as I usually like marvel films(except Iron man 3 and GOTG 2) I am sure I will like this too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement