Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Marvel's Black Panther (2018)

• 24-07-2016 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭ Also Starring LeVar Burton

Black Panther Cast Officially Announced

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭ Also Starring LeVar Burton

• Registered Users Posts: 75,365 ✭✭✭✭ JP Liz V1

Angela Bassett has joined the cast

• Registered Users Posts: 10,035 ✭✭✭✭ McDermotX

• Registered Users Posts: 32,929 ✭✭✭✭ PTH2009

Even superheroes and superpowers are in third world countries in the MCU

Looks quite good but the influx of superhero movies is getting tiresome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭ Slydice

Looks good. I liked how every time in Civil War they "accidentally" or "coincidentally" had him not really have the opportunity to land a proper blow.

I'm guessing we'll get to see a fair show of his powers this time.

From what I remember... before they cancelled Avengers: Earths Mightiest Heroes.. he was stronger and faster than most of em.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ Brief_Lives

That looks class

• Registered Users Posts: 30,305 ✭✭✭✭ Penn

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Even superheroes and superpowers are in third world countries in the MCU

Looks quite good but the influx of superhero movies is getting tiresome

Wakanda was never a third world country. It's an extremely technologically advanced and wealthy country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ricero

Is this an origin story ?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,298 ✭✭✭✭ Agent Coulson

Was expecting Randy Orton to hit an RKO out of nowhere when Black Panther was flipping from one car to the other there.

Enjoyed that trailer I must say.

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    Is this an origin story ?

It would want to be! .. BUT.. Civil War is now part of the Origin Story because that's where T'Challas dad gets murdered by the UN bomb that Zemo did (and blamed on Bucky).

So this is probably going to be an intro to Wakanda and the royal family there and how someone gets to be/stay as Black Panther.

Oh and Cap will be there hiding out from Iron Man and I assume something will be coming out of the Thor film and it'll be getting pretty close to the Infinity War story and it'll probably have some build up for Capt Marvel and woah that's a lot of stuff.

Yep, this is gonna be good!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 31,017 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭ Mickeroo

I can't shake the feeling this is just a loose remake of Eddie Murphy's Coming to America, :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 27,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭ pixelburp

Looks colourful; the standard grading seems to still be there, but between this, Guardians 2 and Thor Ragnoroks own apparently boosted palette, I wonder if Marvel is finally trying to add some vibrancy to its movies.

As much as I love Andy Serkis, a much underappreciated actor for sure, his accent sure is thick. Wonder how it sounds to actual Afrikaans' ears...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,029 ✭✭✭ Hande hoche!

Will probably watch that, likely while inebriated. Pity they couldn't get Arnold Vosloo as the baddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ Brief_Lives

Do anyone but the Irish care about the leprechauns accent in American Gods?

I can't wait to see this.. And Ragnarok..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 constitutionus

my bet would be this one is gonna be a political power struggle one.

daddy got snuffed on the sons watch so i can see someone challenging him to the right to rule wakanda.

which'd prob mean virtually the whole film will be set in wakanda.

i mean steve and co are already there so whats the need to go to the states ?

particularly as tchalla's virtually already done that in civil war.

cant WAIT to see what they do with wakanda. its a blank canvas to get creative.

Do anyone but the Irish care about the leprechauns accent in American Gods?

I can't wait to see this.. And Ragnarok..

It's just a passing thought and curiosity, don't mistake it for 'caring' or insult. Obviously a terrible Oirish accent is noticeable, but I was curious how other nationalities fare when their own tongue is imitated, whether Serkis' attempt is as grating as what often passes for 'Irish '. It sounds clumsy, but given the actors own talents I'd wonder if it was actually a decent approximation to a native speaker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭ Nervous Wreck

my bet would be this one is gonna be a political power struggle one.

daddy got snuffed on the sons watch so i can see someone challenging him to the right to rule wakanda.

which'd prob mean virtually the whole film will be set in wakanda.

i mean steve and co are already there so whats the need to go to the states ?

particularly as tchalla's virtually already done that in civil war.

cant WAIT to see what they do with wakanda. its a blank canvas to get creative.

Dunno about Steve being there. He was there at the end of Civil War but I'd imagine he's moved along at this point. I love seeing as much Cap as possible but it'd be nice to have this confined to Black Panther if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭ EoinMcLovin

BlackPantherComicConPoster.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,009 ✭✭✭✭ Tom Mann Centuria

Still looks like Seymour Skinner as Catwoman to me.

As this person's tweet suggests.

https://twitter.com/EzeSinEnsayo/status/729434060762828807

Hopefully it'll be a good film though, I liked his character in his first outing.

Need to see that footage! :)

Get Even Madder You Can't See That Black Panther Comic-Con Footage By Watching the Cast's Ecstatic Reaction to It
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/get-even-madder-you-cant-see-that-black-panther-comic-c-1797174409

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/889216274189778944

I'm probably not gonna read the description they linked to.

New Trailer

That scene just before the thumbnail above was really cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭ EoinMcLovin

black-panther-poster.jpg?q=35&w=864&h=1279&fit=crop&dpr=1.5

The Trailer for this in 3D on the IMAX before Thor: Ragnarok!

YUH!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭ conor222

I'm getting very excited for this, initial reviews are extremely good
    Also, I'm a huge fan of Coogler and Jordan so probably not all that surprising :pac:
    https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/the-first-reactions-to-black-panther-are-in-and-theyre-incredible-614435

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭ kerplun k

conor222 wrote: »
    I'm getting very excited for this, initial reviews are extremely good
    Also, I'm a huge fan of Coogler and Jordan so probably not all that surprising :pac:
    https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/the-first-reactions-to-black-panther-are-in-and-theyre-incredible-614435

I'm not trying to damping your excitement or anything, but I wouldn't read too much into the early twitter reviews and reactions. I bought into this bullsh*t with Justice league.

http://www.thisisinsider.com/justice-league-reviews-early-2017-11

It boils down to nothing more than marketing from the studios, and click bait for the likes of Joe.ie. Don't waste you time reading that trash.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's the obligatory caveat for any of these blockbuster films that 'first reviews' via Twitter are nearly always coloured by the junkets and open bribery the studio conducted in getting those folks to the showings. That or the standard hyperbole and binary thinking that pollutes the language of social media .

That said, I have very low expectations of this, having fairly minimal experience or admitted knowledge of the source material - so it's unlikely to disappoint :D

Advertisement