Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Headset Discussion

Options
  • 22-05-2014 11:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks,

In an ongoing effort to broaden discussion, I've been creating threads for ongoing topics contained within the General Discussion thread. Headset chat is popping up quite a bit, so it's high time we had a dedicated thread for any & all headset discussion.

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a set of Turtle Beach xp500's for my XB1. From what I understand I need to buy the stereo adapter as well to get it to work.

Has anyone got a set of these headphones or others from TB? Do you have any recommendations / thoughts to share? Basically are they worth it?

I'm more concerned about the game audio quality than the quality of the the audio from chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

awec wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm looking at getting a set of Turtle Beach xp500's for my XB1. From what I understand I need to buy the stereo adapter as well to get it to work.

Has anyone got a set of these headphones or others from TB? Do you have any recommendations / thoughts to share? Basically are they worth it?

I'm more concerned about the game audio quality than the quality of the the audio from chat.

I don't own the TB xp500 although I have plenty of TB headsets and find the ear cups tend to become uncomfortable during a good gaming session.

The XP500 is currently marked as discontinued on the Turtle Beach website so I am not sure what that means for spare parts, updates, etc. They are quite an expensive headset. At this price level I'd consider an Astro A40 or A50 headset also.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I have the XP500s (PS4)

I've always bought TBs so can't compare them to Astros. They are considerably better than the wired headsets I had before. Had to get an additional cable to make it compatible for the PS4 and had a bit of trouble getting it but Amazon stock them now, I think.

• Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I have the XP500s (PS4)

I've always bought TBs so can't compare them to Astros. They are considerably better than the wired headsets I had before. Had to get an additional cable to make it compatible for the PS4 and had a bit of trouble getting it but Amazon stock them now, I think.

How do you find the surround sound? They are listed as Dolby 7.1 on the TB site - you find the surround quality any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I find the sound quality really good. Play a lot of FPSs and noticed I was able to more easily pinpoint where footsteps were coming from once I upgraded.

I'm useless at tech stuff so can't really say if the surround sound is good, bad or indifferent but it's certainly better than it was on the DPX21s, which I had before. There's a ton of options/settings/pre-sets that I have never bothered touching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

having owned every expensive headset possible twice my opinion weighs in here :D

turtle beach are expensive and uncomfortable with prolonged use...

Astros all day long yes I know they are expensive but the sound is absolutely amazing that's the a40s and a50s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

having owned every expensive headset possible twice my opinion weighs in here :D

turtle beach are expensive and uncomfortable with prolonged use...

Astros all day long yes I know they are expensive but the sound is absolutely amazing that's the a40s and a50s

i'll vouch for this the man loves his headsets

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭jaykay2

I bought a pair of XP510's a couple of months ago and they are amazing. Had to buy the adapter for the chat aspect but the sound and even features are really impressive.

I can connect to my phone through Bluetooth and listen to podcasts or music while playing. Have even had a match playing on the iPad and listened to it while playing, only Looking over when I hear a goal.

Can't recommend them enough. All I'll say though is that turtle beach have announced a new set which is totally wireless to the xbox. Chat and all. So you might want to take a look at them before you purchase anything.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

Got a pair of Turtle Beach XO Sevens today so I'll try them out tomorrow and report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

funkyflea wrote: »
    Got a pair of Turtle Beach XO Sevens today so I'll try them out tomorrow and report back.

i have the fours, be interested to hear if the sevens were worth the extra given the speakers are the same 50mm in both sets. I find the fours good but uncomfortable after a few hours. Most places say they are identical for games but sevens have an edge for music and movies. One thing I will say is that on more than a few occasions, actually any time I chat in a party with someone new they comment on on the clarity of my voice.

One thing all these sets need is an on screen balance indicator to show game/voice audio level but that is a MS thing i guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

dunworth1 wrote: »
    i'll vouch for this the man loves his headsets

Yes Brian I have headset fetishes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

calex71 wrote: »
    i have the fours, be interested to hear if the sevens were worth the extra given the speakers are the same 50mm in both sets. I find the fours good but uncomfortable after a few hours. Most places say they are identical for games but sevens have an edge for music and movies. One thing I will say is that on more than a few occasions, actually any time I chat in a party with someone new they comment on on the clarity of my voice.

One thing all these sets need is an on screen balance indicator to show game/voice audio level but that is a MS thing i guess.

Can't compare it to the fours as I haven't used them but the sound quality is quite good actually. The cups are large enough to sit comfortably. But like any headphones of this style after a couple of hours I need to take them off and let my head 'breath'! They have a little bit of a clamp.

Haven't had an opportunity to try out the mic on them yet.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

May as well keep this in one topic...

Going to invest in my first real gaming headset, and was thinking of getting the TB Seven. A quick question though; does it transfer the game sounds and such over to the headsets as well (as in, not just chat but the music and ambient audio as well)? Do I need to wire it up to the TV or Xbox itself or is it all just done via the controller? (And I need the adapter as well, right? Argos seem to sell the adapter for 25 quids so I'd need to add that on to cost as well...)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Lord TSC wrote: »
    May as well keep this in one topic...

Going to invest in my first real gaming headset, and was thinking of getting the TB Seven. A quick question though; does it transfer the game sounds and such over to the headsets as well (as in, not just chat but the music and ambient audio as well)? Do I need to wire it up to the TV or Xbox itself or is it all just done via the controller? (And I need the adapter as well, right? Argos seem to sell the adapter for 25 quids so I'd need to add that on to cost as well...)

if you get the xo sevens you get the adapter with them in the box.

yes you can hear game/movie audio through them.

there is only one wire and that goes into the adapter and that sends both chat and game audio

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

Anyone know what the story is with the Turtlebeach XO Fours. Are they virtual surround sound or what?

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    Anyone know what the story is with the Turtlebeach XO Fours. Are they virtual surround sound or what?

Stereo, I like them but bit uncomfortable after a while. The one really needs an on screen indicator for volume levels when using the adaptor like the PS4 has.

Edit: I'm told by those I've chatted with that the mic is very good on them. Obviously I can't hear for myself what it sounds like, but they said it was a noticeable leap from the standard headset.

Actually even on the standard headset, I found people I would have chatted with all through my 360 days sounded totally different after the change to the one

Stereo, I like them but bit uncomfortable after a while. The one really needs an on screen indicator for volume levels when using the adaptor like the PS4 has.

Edit: I'm told by those I've chatted with that the mic is very good on them. Obviously I can't hear for myself what it sounds like, but they said it was a noticeable leap from the standard headset.

Actually even on the standard headset, I found people I would have chatted with all through my 360 days sounded totally different after the change to the one

Yeah I was going to buy a pair tomorrow or order the Earforce Atlas which are pretty much the XO four with a paintjob but won't be now :/

Haha yeah, people did sound different on the ONE compared to 360. Crazy.

I have the XP500's but they only work some of the time. I don't know what the story is with them. If I could get them fixed I'd buy the adapter and use them permanently.

Yeah I was going to buy a pair tomorrow or order the Earforce Atlas which are pretty much the XO four with a paintjob but won't be now :/

Haha yeah, people did sound different on the ONE compared to 360. Crazy.

I have the XP500's but they only work some of the time. I don't know what the story is with them. If I could get them fixed I'd buy the adapter and use them permanently.

The atlas , fours and sevens all have the same drivers form what I have read. I should confess to not paying full price for mine, took advantage of the argos misprice that time :o No way are they worth full price.

I have experimented with the adaptor though, I tried my triton 360 headset with it, worked well. Tried my pc head phones cheap old JVC ones and the sennheiser ear buds from my phone, those didn't have mics but sounded ok and if id spent 20 quid on an adaptor id have settled on using those for the times I need to have the TV totally muted late night etc. Quality was not even close to the XO fours but accepable if id only spent 20 quid on an adaptor. MY tv is a pain like most new ones, the headphone port is on the back and mutes the TV speakers while connected.

The atlas , fours and sevens all have the same drivers form what I have read. I should confess to not paying full price for mine, took advantage of the argos misprice that time :o No way are they worth full price.

I have experimented with the adaptor though, I tried my triton 360 headset with it, worked well. Tried my pc head phones cheap old JVC ones and the sennheiser ear buds from my phone, those didn't have mics but sounded ok and if id spent 20 quid on an adaptor id have settled on using those for the times I need to have the TV totally muted late night etc. Quality was not even close to the XO fours but accepable if id only spent 20 quid on an adaptor. MY tv is a pain like most new ones, the headphone port is on the back and mutes the TV speakers while connected.

How much were they with the misprice? :eek:

How much were they with the misprice? :eek:

89.99 so same price as the xbox branded stereo headset.

• Advertisement

89.99 so same price as the xbox branded stereo headset.

Ah ok I don't feel too bad. Thought you were going to say something scandelous like €20 lol. They're €87 on Amazon :)

Price drop on the headsets. They now cost (Amazon.co.uk):

Xo Four: €69.60

Earforce Atlas (Titanfall version of Xo Four): €96.20

Xo Seven: €113.90

Price drop on the headsets. They now cost (Amazon.co.uk):

Xo Four: €69.60

Earforce Atlas (Titanfall version of Xo Four): €96.20

Xo Seven: €113.90

From what I have read in various places all 3 use the same 50mm drivers, with the sevens main difference being the changeable covers, and a slight edge for music and movies.

From what I have read in various places all 3 use the same 50mm drivers, with the sevens main difference being the changeable covers, and a slight edge for music and movies.

Yeah pretty much. No point going for anything other than the XO fours unlees you wanted to pay a little extra for a fancy paint job for the Atlas.

I'm happy with my setup now anyway, as long as it keeps working. I'm using my old XP500's with the chat adapter. Love it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

A bit late to the party, but if you want to hear how your voice sounds through the headset, either go to skype and ring the test line, or else go to upload studio and record a voiceover on a clip youve created.

A bit late to the party, but if you want to hear how your voice sounds through the headset, either go to skype and ring the test line, or else go to upload studio and record a voiceover on a clip youve created.

I NEVER want to hear my own voice :D

Just sounds so weird .... do I really sound like that :eek: Used to hate on one of the older 360 headsets getting echo sometimes on laggy connections.
    That said with tight ear cups it's hard to know if you are shouting or not I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Corvo

The price of these headsets is depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

Only got into gaming a few years back, I got the turtle beach ear force fox trot
    Worked fine on the 360
    Have the xbox one since launch and just found my headset in the spare room
    Are these any good for gaming or are they only entry level, having a kid in a few weeks so gaming will need to be on the quiet lol
    Mine plug into the tv at the back so kind of a pain too
    Any advice ?

Only got into gaming a few years back, I got the turtle beach ear force fox trot
    Worked fine on the 360
    Have the xbox one since launch and just found my headset in the spare room
    Are these any good for gaming or are they only entry level, having a kid in a few weeks so gaming will need to be on the quiet lol
    Mine plug into the tv at the back so kind of a pain too
    Any advice ?

You have 2 options.

1. Buy an Xbox Stereo Chat Adapter and use earphones you may have at the moment into it for quite gaming without cables coming from the tv. These cost €30 in Gamestop or €26.49 in Argos if there's any in stock.

2. Pay €69.28 for a new Turtle Beach XO Four on Amazon.co.uk which includes the stereo chat adapter linked above.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

You have 2 options.

1. Buy an Xbox Stereo Chat Adapter and use earphones you may have at the moment into it for quite gaming without cables coming from the tv. These cost €30 in Gamestop or €26.49 in Argos if there's any in stock.

2. Pay €69.28 for a new Turtle Beach XO Four on Amazon.co.uk which includes the stereo chat adapter linked above.
    Cheers I think I will get the set from amazon, are they any better than what I have ?
    Sound wise

Advertisement