Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars: Only diverse films will be considered for best picture

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

MJohnston wrote: »
    I’m saying that it’s not racism against white people AT ALL. You haven’t shown me anything that suggests that it is.

You have been saying there have been too many men directing, writing and all. That is racism
    If you don't get that it's because you are applying double standards as woke people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    You have been says there have been too many men directing, writing and all. That is racism
    If you don't get that it's because you are applying double standards as woke people do

Men are a race now? Jesus you’re stupid.

If you think Hollywood is inclusive, why are you freaking out so much about these changes?

because they are rules for social engineering, you have been answered multiple times already on previous posts
    This is the western world, not the Soviet Union

Men are a race now? Jesus you’re stupid.

you conveniently left out white men
    and cut the insults or you will be reported

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,147 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mod note: Folks, dial down the rhetoric and heat please or we will have to start issuing cards. Thanks.

• Advertisement

you conveniently left out white men
    and cut the insults or you will be reported

I didn’t conveniently leave out white men because you only wrote “men” in your post.

because they are rules for social engineering, you have been answered multiple times already on previous posts
    This is the western world, not the Soviet Union

This doesn’t even make sense - you said Hollywood was inclusive so how can it be social engineering to have absolutely minimal standards for inclusion?

I find it bizarre that people can't understand why this stuff bothers people. It's becoming more and more common for white men to be singled out across loads of avenues in life. The supporters of these things only look at them in vacuum and wonder why that one specific thing is an issue whereas the fact is, it's a trend that is only gathering pace.

And then we get branded as backwards or right-wing for even caring that segregation and treating people differently based on their sex and race is the new progressive. All of this new race-related stuff in the US is a direct result of the actions of people who purport to hate racism yet constantly stoke it.

I find it bizarre that people can't understand why this stuff bothers people. It's becoming more and more common for white men to be singled out across loads of avenues in life. The supporters of these things only look at them in vacuum and wonder why that one specific thing is an issue whereas the fact is, it's a trend that is only gathering pace.

And then we get branded as backwards or right-wing for even caring that segregation and treating people differently based on their sex and race is the new progressive. All of this new race-related stuff in the US is a direct result of the actions of people who purport to hate racism yet constantly stoke it.

I couldn't have said it better

I didn’t conveniently leave out white men because you only wrote “men” in your post.

You have been replied to this point several times before
    Western Society isn't going to accept social engineering.
    White men aren't going accept being discriminated against

• Advertisement

Again — us straight, white, cos males have been super privileged for centuries. Letting go of that is hard, I understand, but that’s all equality is asking of us (and it’s actually very rewarding and easy to do once you do let go!) and to ensure everyone has the same opportunities.

Affirmative action is only necessary because of the existing, long-term deficit in diversity which tends to reinforce itself.

It’s as simple as that, and there’s nothing sinister about attempts to push for more diversity. Anyone reacting against that needs to seriously question why they’re so afraid of women or people of various different colours being able to have the same opportunities as them.

With that, I’m done. This could have been an interesting discussion but has been ruined by people being deliberately ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,358 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I couldn't have said it better
    You asked "How many women were even directing movies in the 90 years?" fully aware that the answer is along the lines of "Not a lot" and you fully endorse the quoted post saying that this is somewhat of a slight against white men.

So what do you propose the industry does to resolve the lack of diversity behind the camera? Or do we just carry on as is for the next 90 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

How many women were even directing movies in the 90 years?

Today Hollywood is inclusive, there is no need to count one by one how many members of each categories are represented in each movie. That's social engineering and we dont do that in the western world
    We hire people against skills and talents, not against their category

Ok so how long have women been directing? Kathryn Bigelow did Point Break in 1991, so that's 30 years. Do you really think 5 female directors nominated in that time is reflective of an inclusive industry.

Let's look at the blockbusters. How many Superheroes movies have been directed by women? How many have been directed by POC?

Either they're not getting the opportunity for "some" reason or white men are naturally better at directing films.

Again — us straight, white, cos males have been super privileged for centuries. Letting go of that is hard, I understand, but that’s all equality is asking of us (and it’s actually very rewarding and easy to do once you do let go!) and to ensure everyone has the same opportunities.

Affirmative action is only necessary because of the existing, long-term deficit in diversity which tends to reinforce itself.

It’s as simple as that, and there’s nothing sinister about attempts to push for more diversity. Anyone reacting against that needs to seriously question why they’re so afraid of women or people of various different colours being able to have the same opportunities as them.

With that, I’m done. This could have been an interesting discussion but has been ruined by people being deliberately ignorant.

Women and people of various different colors can write, direct and act in movies, no one is stopping them. There is no written rule in Hollywood saying that a movie requires a higher number of white men in it.
    Pushing diversity by social engineering is a form of racism. We aren't going to have it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Star Trek has warned us about this.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Ok so how long have women been directing? Kathryn Bigelow did Point Break in 1991, so that's 30 years. Do you really think 5 female directors nominated in that time is reflective of an inclusive industry.

Let's look at the blockbusters. How many Superheroes movies have been directed by women? How many have been directed by POC?

Either they're not getting the opportunity for "some" reason or white men are naturally better at directing films.

How many women have expressed an interested and ambition in directing a superhero movie? Once again, you are confusing equal opportunities with equal outcome

How movies directed by a woman in that 30 years deserved to be nominated for an Oscar but were not?

That is not a snotty retort - it is genuine honest question.

How many women have expressed an interested and ambition in directing a superhero movie? Once again, you are confusing equal opportunities with equal outcome

I would like someone to post examples and evidence of Kevin Feige not hiring a woman to direct a Marvel movie because she is a woman.

No, it was never going to be interesting if your belief is that white men have had privileged lives for centuries. It's particularly remarkable for someone in Ireland of all places to believe this.

Good luck.

No, it was never going to be interesting if your belief is that white men have had privileged lives for centuries. It's particularly remarkable for someone in Ireland of all places to believe this.

Good luck.

I'm a straight, white, (raised) Catholic Irish male who has been on the receiving of prejudice behaviour and comments. Both in Ireland and abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Talking of Irish Catholic prejudice muddies the waters of an inherently American social construct and problem. America has systemic racism problems to this day, while Hollywood has been an industry dominated by, yes, white males; modern America was intentionally built to benefit that demographic through laws like Jim Crow et al and has been well documented down the years. (even something presumed rigorous like medical research has been skewed by a historical refusal to use women or people of colour in test groups. Drugs recalled because it was never tested on [say] women).

pixelburp wrote: »
    Talking of Irish Catholic prejudice muddies the waters of an inherently American social construct and problem. America has systemic racism problems to this day, while Hollywood has been an industry dominated by, yes, white males; modern America was intentionally built to benefit that demographic through laws like Jim Crow et al and has been well documented down the years. (even something presumed rigorous like medical research has been skewed by a historical refusal to use women or people of colour in test groups. Drugs recalled because it was never tested on [say] women).

I was not saying that there isn't racism in America or that Hollywood isn't dominated by whites males.

Why would you think I was saying this?

I simply stated that I've been o the receiving end of prejudice because I'm white, straight, etc.

I think you jumped to a conclusion because I said I said I straight, white, (raised) Catholic Irish male

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I was not saying that there isn't racism in America or that Hollywood isn't dominated by whites males.

I'm not sure what you're point was but there are people on this thread and this is seems to exactly what they're saying and these measures which seek to address the imbalance in a very small way are seen as an attack on white males and their dominance of the industry.

I'm taking MJohnston's lead and bowing out.

I'm not sure what you're point was but there are people on this thread and this is seems to exactly what they're saying and these measures which seek to address the imbalance in a very small way are seen as an attack on white males and their dominance of the industry.

MJohnston was reported to the mods for insulting, that's how he bowed out

I've been on the receiving end of prejudice - that is my point.

What have to do with other people on the thread who one opinion or the other? Why are you grouping me with anyone?

I'm actually prejudiced against white actors. I'm tired of the same old pasty faces. And I prefer looking at a movie that has mainly women in the main cast. And I want them to keep their clothes on.

I never said anything was an "attack on white males". However the way the imbalance is being addressed is nonsense.

You don't balance the scales by favouring the "underrepresented" of any skin colour or gender, etc.. You balance the scales by treating everyone the same.

You that by removing the cause of the imbalance.

Why are the Oscars unfair? Money.

Movies with money get marketed to to the voters. A movie that doesn't get that push only makes by sheer chance - word of mouth tells the voters this was popular or "hip".

You tell the studios to off off with their schemes and you tell the voters no more free gifts. If they want to be members it has to be for the love of movies. So go to the cinema, get a Netflix subscription, or buy the blu-ray.

Vote for the movie, not the gift pack.

MJohnston was reported to the mods for insulting, that's how he bowed out

What did I post that caused offence to Funlover?

I'm actually prejudiced against white actors. I'm tired of the same old pasty faces. And I prefer looking at a movie that has mainly women in the main cast. And I want them to keep their clothes on.

are you crazy??? who are you to tell women to cover up? free women can go naked in the street if they want :D:D

are you crazy??? who are you to tell women to cover up? free women can go naked in the street if they want :D:D

See, a straight white (raised) Catholic white Irish male cannot win in this world.

I can't imagine what life is like these days for straight white Catholic white Irish male

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭santana75

In the 90-year-plus history of the Academy Awards, just five female filmmakers have been nominated for best director and one has won. Only 14 actors of colour have won Academy Awards.

So you're saying theres a conspiracy to keep women and people of colour down by the academy and Hollywood in general? Like theres a group of white men sitting in a room some where plotting to prevent anyone not white or male from winning awards.......give over with this victim nonsense will you. If a woman makes a high quality film it will be noticed and rewarded, firstly by the people who go to see movies and then by awarding bodies. Quality will always be noticed, whether that is from man, woman, black or white. Quality work wont be ignored for long, it speaks for itself.

• Advertisement

santana75 wrote: »
    So you're saying theres a conspiracy to keep women and people of colour down by the academy and Hollywood in general? Like theres a group of white men sitting in a room some where plotting to prevent anyone not white or male from winning awards.......give over with this victim nonsense will you. If a woman makes a high quality film it will be noticed and rewarded, firstly by the people who go to see movies and then by awarding bodies. Quality will always be noticed, whether that is from man, woman, black or white. Quality work wont be ignored for long, it speaks for itself.

Yes, but it called a cabal.

They dress like Mr. Monoply - monocle with top hat and tails.

They gather regularly clucking their tongues, stroking their beards and wondering how best to subjugate the "undesirables" like females and such.

Whereis a Simpsons moment I never thought I could use in my lifetime :P

Advertisement