Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscars: Only diverse films will be considered for best picture

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    excellent point.
    There are so many reasons why a film may not need to be diverse.

Anyway, The Academy Awards have been losing their relevance for years now

Oh it’s so hard to read isn’t it?
    To go back to Parasite, even if the fact that every single role on-screen (aside from the Westerners at the end I suppose) is an Asian didn't cause it to qualify for category A already (it does), then there's the fact that 1 lead is a woman, and 4 significant supporting roles are women. Category A - check.

Then 3 out of 6 producers on the film are women too. Category B - check.

Categories C and D we're never going to be able to ascertain for ourselves, but there's zero chance Parasite isn't meeting those categories (even if being Asian didn't count).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

MJohnston wrote: »
    Oh it’s so hard to read isn’t it?

maybe it's hard to read for you
    A film doesn't have to be diverse, a film needs to be able to tell a story. if it's the story of a bunch of white men what do you do? do you cast 1/3 black women, 1/3 gay and 1/3 white men and then you paint their faces?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

santana75 wrote: »
    Last few years have been particularly bad.

No, they haven’t. Cinema is a thriving, varied art form that continues to offer beautiful, challenging, entertaining, provocative experiences. Even this year, where traditional distribution methods have been catastrophically disrupted, I am still frequently discovering amazing new films that offer something new and distinctive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

if it's the story of a bunch of white men what do you do? do you cast 1/3 black women, 1/3 gay and 1/3 white men and then you paint their faces?

It’s impossible to have a reasonable argument if you refuse point blank to engage with the points being made or the reality of the situation. To put it as simply as humanly possible: there is no rule being introduced by the Academy that demands a film has to have a diverse on-screen cast to be eligible for an Oscar.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,378 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

So films like The Revenant wouldn't get a look in?
    Is excluding things and telling them they can't be here not a bit "get to the back of the bus"?

and black panther dont forget.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

What about There Will Be Blood or Mulan because they're a snapshot of a time and place? Are they inclusive because they're all one race? It makes sense.

What i don't understand is why we are doing this to ourselves, it's like we hating on what we are what we have achieved.
    Americans should be proud of having the most successful movie industry in the world, instead they are feeling guilty
    Makes no sense to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭TheBlackPill

What i don't understand is why we are doing this to ourselves, it's like we hating on what we are what we have achieved

in the modern world of Europe/Us we face no real existential threat like our ancestors so we have to make up BS to keep us worried..our natural state is to be worried and looking for enemies

A film doesn't have to be diverse, a film needs to be able to tell a story. if it's the story of a bunch of white men what do you do? do you cast 1/3 black women, 1/3 gay and 1/3 white men and then you paint their faces?

Simple - you keep it as a story of a bunch of white men. Categories B, C, D do not effect the story you’re portraying onscreen.

What i don't understand is why we are doing this to ourselves, it's like we hating on what we are what we have achieved.
    Americans should be proud of having the most successful movie industry in the world, instead they are feeling guilty
    Makes no sense to me

They’re just somewhat empathetic humans and looking to be a tiny amount more inclusive. It’s really not hard to understand.

I know that’s hard to understand for people who have no empathy, but you can’t seriously be unaware of the *existence* of empathy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Seems to me the only people who are worried are those unhappy with this news. If they actually took the time to read it, they might realise that no one is going to stop making movies overloaded with white men who are of course the real victims here.

They’re just somewhat empathetic humans and looking to be a tiny amount more inclusive. It’s really not hard to understand.

I know that’s hard to understand for people who have no empathy, but you can’t seriously be unaware of the *existence* of empathy.

Tiny amount more inclusive has become straight out discrimination and censorship
    Thanks god more and more people are waking up

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Seems to me the only people who are worried are those unhappy with this news. If they actually took the time to read it, they might realise that no one is going to stop making movies overloaded with white men who are of course the real victims here.

Overloaded with white men?

Now replace the word white with another color and see how bad it sounds
    How come you can't see the racism when it's directed at white people?

It’s not racism bud, pure and simple.

Hollywood is run by white men. In the history of Hollywood movies, most of them are written by, directed by and about white men. You don't see anything wrong with that?

Thanks god more and more people are waking up

With all due respect Mic 1972, if ‘waking up’ means wilfully ignoring or rejecting objective facts about the nature of these rule changes even when they’re clearly and straightforwardly laid out, I’m happy hitting the snooze button.

Hollywood is run by white men. In the history of Hollywood movies, most of them are written by, directed by and about white men. You don't see anything wrong with that?

Do you have an issue with Bollywood movies being predominantly written, directed and interpreted by Indians?
    Italian movies being predominantly written, directed and interpreted by Italians? and so on

Why is it now all of a sudden unacceptable that Hollywood would have a history of white actors/actresses and writers. They created that industry.

Over the years Hollywood has become inclusive of all minorities, there is no need to count one by one how many people of each minority are represented.
    What you are asking is social engineering and it has no place in the free liberal western society

It’s not racism bud, pure and simple.

Racism against white people is not racism?
    that's interesting

Racism against white people is not racism?
    that's interesting

Because it’s not racism against white people. Are you actually 48 years old and arguing that ‘racism is good actually’ on a message board? What have you done with your life!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I love this cute idea of Hollywood - and The Academy - are some bastion of idealistic, pure art. As if "art" isn't itself inherently about diversity of opinion - or Hollywood isn't a corporate beast; one that'd remaster "Triumph of the Will" if it thought there was a market.

If this is some argument about "art" for its own sake then anything that encourages difference and new explorations of alternate perspectives should be welcomed. Even though that's not what the proposal is about but we're past mere facts here.

Hollywood is inherently about the artistic status quo, or whatevers trending as "Oscar bait" that year. the Oscars themselves a yardstick for people who don't watch movies. I guarantee next year's entries will be as mediocre and bland as they often are. After that there'll be some new "controversy" to give the "pc gone mad" of modernity to get upset about, for the brief time they give a shít about cinema. So it goes.

• Advertisement

A movie can be created by and acted in entirely by Asian, Hispanic/Latinx, Black/African American, Indigenous/Native American/Alaskan Native, Middle Eastern/North African, Native Hawaiian or other Pacific Islander.. But not white people. It's so blatantly treating a race differently, you have voluntarily sacrifice all critical thought to not see it.

And as I mentioned before, a list of recent winners than broke these rules would be helpful for context because every time we mention a movie, we get told it would have won fine. I want to know why the rule even needs to exist. Why should a white male sound technician not get the job because of some Oscar rule.

It’s addressing a massive, long running imbalance in the industry which has benefited white men most of all. If you don’t think addressing that is important, then just say that instead of inventing some false racism boogeyman.

Doing so requires you, yet again, to ignore the fact that the rules consider crewmembers or execs who are women (including WHITE Women), non-hetero people (including WHITE non-hetero people), and non-cisgender people (including WHITE non-cisgender people) to cause movies to become eligible for Best Picture. Even when they’re not appearing onscreen at all.

It’s not about racism against white people, simple as that.

I’m reminded of the paraphrased quote “when you’ve only ever experienced privilege, equality feels like oppression” - fully applicable here.

The most laughable idea here is that a present day film featuring only straight white men, crewed by only straight white men, and produced, distributed, and marketed by companies that will only employ straight white men would ever have been good enough to be up for Best Picture.

Because it’s not racism against white people. Are you actually 48 years old and arguing that ‘racism is good actually’ on a message board? What have you done with your life!

I'm arguing that racism is equally bad, whether is against black or white.

You are the one saying that racism against white people is not really racism, which is a contradiction in terms, typical woke double standards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,200 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I think the Oscars have become a lot more irrelevant, maybe diluted a little by the plethora of awards. I don't see this as a good thing but am unsure if this makes me a racist.

Everything makes you a racist so don't worry about it.

It’s addressing a massive, long running imbalance in the industry which has benefited white men most of all. If you don’t think addressing that is important, then just say that instead of inventing some false racism boogeyman.

Doing so requires you, yet again, to ignore the fact that the rules consider crewmembers or execs who are women (including WHITE Women), non-hetero people (including WHITE non-hetero people), and non-cisgender people (including WHITE non-cisgender people) to cause movies to become eligible for Best Picture. Even when they’re not appearing onscreen at all.

It’s not about racism against white people, simple as that.

I’m reminded of the paraphrased quote “when you’ve only ever experienced privilege, equality feels like oppression” - fully applicable here.

The most laughable idea here is that a present day film featuring only straight white men, crewed by only straight white men, and produced, distributed, and marketed by companies that will only employ straight white men would ever have been good enough to be up for Best Picture.

I included male in my post so I am well aware of the women thing. And list the recent movies that would break these rules because if movies haven't been breaking them, they're not addressing any imbalances.

Anyways, you've fallen into the trap where if you can't replace a word with Jewish, you shouldn't be saying what you're saying.

The most laughable idea here is that a present day film featuring only straight black men, crewed by only straight black men, and produced, distributed, and marketed by companies that will only employ straight black men would ever have been good enough to be up for Best Picture.

The most laughable idea here is that a present day film featuring only gay Jewish men, crewed by only gay Jewish men, and produced, distributed, and marketed by companies that will only employ gay Jewish men would ever have been good enough to be up for Best Picture.

If the idea that straight white men making a good movie is laughable to you, you're an absolutely massive racist and sexist. You're not even talking about equality anymore. You're just a bigot.

I included male in my post so I am well aware of the women thing. And list the recent movies that would break these rules because if movies haven't been breaking them, they're not addressing any imbalances.

Anyways, you've fallen into the trap where if you can't replace a word with Jewish, you shouldn't be saying what you're saying.

The most laughable idea here is that a present day film featuring only straight black men, crewed by only straight black men, and produced, distributed, and marketed by companies that will only employ straight black men would ever have been good enough to be up for Best Picture.

The most laughable idea here is that a present day film featuring only gay Jewish men, crewed by only gay Jewish men, and produced, distributed, and marketed by companies that will only employ gay Jewish men would ever have been good enough to be up for Best Picture.

If the idea that straight white men making a good movie is laughable to you, you're an absolutely massive racist and sexist. You're not even talking about equality anymore. You're just a bigot.

Perfectly said

Do you have an issue with Bollywood movies being predominantly written, directed and interpreted by Indians?
    Italian movies being predominantly written, directed and interpreted by Italians? and so on

Why is it now all of a sudden unacceptable that Hollywood would have a history of white actors/actresses and writers. They created that industry.

Over the years Hollywood has become inclusive of all minorities, there is no need to count one by one how many people of each minority are represented.
    What you are asking is social engineering and it has no place in the free liberal western society

I'll reiterate my facts from earlier and ask if you really want to talk about social engineering.

In the 90-year-plus history of the Academy Awards, just five female filmmakers have been nominated for best director and one has won. Only 14 actors of colour have won Academy Awards.

No I’m just a realist. A movie that is created with straight white males all the way down through the crew and studios has done that on purpose, because there’s ZERO chance that happens by accident. That movie will be trash, pure and simple.

As for which recent movies would have broken these rules — that’s my fúcking point! None of them would, they’d all be eligible for Best Picture, I guarantee it.

To be clear — my argument isn’t that these new rules are going to be in *any* way effective, but that they’re so utterly minor and ineffective that anyone complaining about their existence is either woefully misinformed or just hates *any* moves towards diversity no matter how small.

I'm arguing that racism is equally bad, whether is against black or white.

You are the one saying that racism against white people is not really racism, which is a contradiction in terms, typical woke double standards

I’m saying that it’s not racism against white people AT ALL. You haven’t shown me anything that suggests that it is.

I'll reiterate my facts from earlier and ask if you really want to talk about social engineering.

In the 90-year-plus history of the Academy Awards, just five female filmmakers have been nominated for best director and one has won. Only 14 actors of colour have won Academy Awards.

How many women were even directing movies in the 90 years?

Today Hollywood is inclusive, there is no need to count one by one how many members of each categories are represented in each movie. That's social engineering and we dont do that in the western world
    We hire people against skills and talents, not against their category

• Advertisement

How many women were even directing movies in the 90 years?

Today Hollywood is inclusive, there is no need to count one by one how many members of each categories are represented in each movie. That's social engineering and we dont do that in the western world
    We hire people against skills and talents, not against their category

If you think Hollywood is inclusive, why are you freaking out so much about these changes?

Advertisement