Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The future of James Bond

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Shatterhand is just too blatant a double-entendre to take seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,412 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

james bond is well past it. time to retire 007

they should expand the series to cover other 00 agents. there is no reason why they cant be black, chineese, gay, female etc that people think james bond should be
    it would allow a whole new set of charicters and storylines.

I can’t agree, although there is no reason people like that couldn’t be in the secret service it might feel like jammed in diversity for the sake of it. There is no need to expand the bond universe just do a bit of a new style. Personally I haven’t been blown away by the Craig ones. Good movies well made but I preferred the tongue in cheek older ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

salmocab wrote: »
    I can’t agree, although there is no reason people like that couldn’t be in the secret service it might feel like jammed in diversity for the sake of it. There is no need to expand the bond universe just do a bit of a new style. Personally I haven’t been blown away by the Craig ones. Good movies well made but I preferred the tongue in cheek older ones.

I'm not suggesting a whole series of different race and LGBTQ etc.
    Leave James bond the way he is. 006 could be similar but with new catchphrases and personality.

I too fathered to older films. A bit more fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,563 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Shatterhand to be the new title ?

shatter-pa.jpg

No, Mr.Bond...I expect you to die.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Killing Eve is one of those things that absolutely lived up to the hype when I watched it, though not sure how her comedic styling might fit into Bond, especially Craig's variation of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

sxt wrote: »
    I'd say it was being considered when Angelina Jolie was the top of her star power in 2010, she played a secret agent in 2010 but even in that movie, it was hard to believe a 9 stone woman could beat up 16 stone men in that movie

That's because the movie originally starred a male lead. Evelyn Salt was originally Edward Salt.

When they changed it to a female character for Jolie, they didn't re-write any of the physical stuff. A strong breeze could knock Angelina over so it came off more than a little fake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

Wouldn't be my first choice but he's a very good actor.
    Last few bond films let down by weak stories and the reversion to the gimmicks of the old movies so weak subject matter could be his biggest hurdle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Wouldn't be my first choice but he's a very good actor.
    Last few bond films let down by weak stories and the reversion to the gimmicks of the old movies so weak subject matter could be his biggest hurdle.

Yeah, they need to sort out the writers next. But I think Hardy is a good choice.

Edit: Just looking at the source for the above Twitter account, and there's nothing official there at all. The author is just saying this is what's happening, but has no sources whatsoever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't buy it. I find it hard to believe they would announce this before Craig's final film is out. Even if they are in talks i don't think they would be anywhere close to being complete at this stage. Plus Hardy is way to big a name. They'd have to pay him a fortune.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I didn’t think Tom Hardy would go for it tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,563 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

If this is true, it's an odd choice for Hardy to make. He seems to be a lad that likes to mix things up a bit and being tied to a franchise like Bond can be very restrictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Tony EH wrote: »
    If this is true, it's an odd choice for Hardy to make. He seems to be a lad that likes to mix things up a bit and being tied to a franchise like Bond can be very restrictive.

Not like he's signed up for any other franchise. :pac: Money talks at the end of the day for actors.

They'd be doing very well to get him anyway. Now if Nolan directs.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

2 things with tom hardy immediately rule him out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Acosta

Surprised by the amount of people online that would prefer Henry Cavill. He's a piss poor actor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Acosta wrote: »
    Surprised by the amount of people online that would prefer Henry Cavill. He's a piss poor actor.

And Bond is all about the acting......

Cavill is good just hasn't had a good Superman to play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Don't think I'm buying it

It's too big a celeb news item to drop on a Saturday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,577 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Not like he's signed up for any other franchise. :pac: Money talks at the end of the day for actors.

They'd be doing very well to get him anyway. Now if Nolan directs.....

Venom which he also produces

I could see him as a Bond villain, was This Means War his audition :P

• Advertisement

Hardy would be the shortest bond at 5 ' 9"

glasso wrote: »
    Hardy would be the shortest bond at 5 ' 9"

Meh....I don't care about that sh1t and I'm sure most would agree if the actor has sufficient presence which Hardy has in spades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Not really a fan, sorry. He's ok as a co-star like in Inception but otherwise no.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Fuascailteoir

I don't care about the next james bond, he kills for country, queen and God. We don't need another murderous toff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I can't think of any current top actor as overrated as Tom Hardy. Possibly Idris Elba although he's not as big as Hardy.

This has to be wind-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭Acosta

Thought he was shocking in the last Mission Impossible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Thing is that any actor who has been cast as Bond tends to be a somewhat of an "unknown" actor.

Like that they've done enough to get on the radar to be cast. But never a household name. Tom Hardy is a megastar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,577 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

JJayoo wrote: »
    And Bond is all about the acting......
    Thought he was shocking in the last Mission Impossible

Bond needs to have charisma which Cavill lacks imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Ricky Tarr as James Bond? So crazy it just might work...

I like Tom Hardy but I can't see him as Bond. I always felt it should be Idris Elba.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

I like Tom Hardy but I can't see him as Bond. I always felt it should be Idris Elba.
    Bond has grey eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Sadly for Idris he is 48 years old. If he was 10 years younger he would be a heavily strong contender as we are now in an age where characters race or genders are swapped. Personally I believe the next Bond will be black.

As it stands Craig has the longest run of being Bond having spent 14 years and starting when he was 38. If Elba was to be cast he would be playing Bond at perhaps 51 when the movie comes out? Then 57-60 if they managed to get three movies out of him.

Vestiapx wrote: »
    Bond has grey eyes.

Sean connery has brown eyes.

Are there no good trans men of colour out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I don't care about the next james bond, he kills for country, queen and God. We don't need another murderous toff

I watched Anthony Start as Homelander in The Boys.

Would be interesting to see a Bond who was totally cool and suave, but also capable of being a complete nutjob in certain situations

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

How come James Bond never Plays James Bond ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    I watched Anthony Start as Homelander in The Boys.

Would be interesting to see a Bond who was totally cool and suave, but also capable of being a complete nutjob in certain situations

Bond has to be in control of his actions and maintain a cool head in all situations. If Mi5 selected a nut job as one of their operatives then their selection process would be a failure. Who would want a flapper as a 007.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

Age is a big thing for me with bond. I think Hardy is too old to be cast as bond now. By the time the first film would be out he'd be about 47, he could easily be 50 by the second. That should be a cut off in my eyes. And when you cast a bond you want at least 3 films from him.

I felt brosnan at the end looked too old for it, even more so with connery and Moore. They were less believable beating up people, and a bit of a dirty old man bedding the 20 something year old girls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

If it’s going to be a younger actor it will end up being someone like Harry Styles, Nicholas Hoult, Jamie Bell, Taron Egerton or one of the lads from GoT.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Mortgage Question

blue note wrote: »
    Age is a big thing for me with bond. I think Hardy is too old to be cast as bond now. By the time the first film would be out he'd be about 47, he could easily be 50 by the second. That should be a cut off in my eyes. And when you cast a bond you want at least 3 films from him.

I felt brosnan at the end looked too old for it, even more so with connery and Moore. They were less believable beating up people, and a bit of a dirty old man bedding the 20 something year old girls.

There's no issue with Bond bedding young women, he's a ruthless character that does what he wants. Women in early to mid twenties are most attractive and Bond goes after what he wants.

The issue with age is it's gets more difficult to suspend belief that he can beat up so many younger men.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

blue note wrote: »

Roger Moore mentioned this himself in interviews, he felt ridiculous as a 50 something year old man kissing/bedding 20 something year olds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Saw the thread and clicked on it thinking the OP heard about Hardy being mentioned in the news a few days ago about the Bond role.

Never realised Hardy was being talked about for the role 10 years ago!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

John David Washington (provided he can do the accent of course)

khalessi wrote: »
    Roger Moore mentioned this himself in interviews, he felt ridiculous as a 50 something year old man kissing/bedding 20 something year olds.

poor bastard, my heart goes out to him

MrStuffins wrote: »
    John David Washington (provided he can do the accent of course)

He's a bit bland imo

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Have been saying this for ages, but whoever they cast next, I hope there introduce them in Craig's last appearance and I hope they kill Craig's Bond, with "James Bond" becoming the the alias assumed by each 007 in memory of him sacrificng himself to save the day. Bring some stakes into it, a sense of Bond not being invulnerable.

Whoever they get as the new Bond, they need to change their world building so that it's not centred around Bond. The super villain shouldn't know who Bond is or care about him, at least until he thwarts his plans.

fitz wrote: »
    Have been saying this for ages, but whoever they cast next, I hope there introduce them in Craig's last appearance and I hope they kill Craig's Bond, with "James Bond" becoming the the alias assumed by each 007 in memory of him sacrificng himself to save the day. Bring some stakes into it, a sense of Bond not being invulnerable.

Terrible idea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

A Dead Bond ~ ~ Are you crazy ? ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'd much rather they cut all ties with the Craig films altogether. They were largely rubbish.

• Advertisement
Advertisement