Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Roe McDermott on the Woke slot semi defending the milkshake being thrown at Leo Varadkar today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

jay0109 wrote: »
    Roe Finnegan on the Woke slot semi defending the milkshake being thrown at Leo Varadkar today

Can't listen today but ffs. Thats crazy sh1t - there is no defending that, what if it was acid?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,129 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Can't listen today but ffs. Thats crazy sh1t - there is no defending that, what if it was acid?

"But it wasnt" will be their answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Roe Finnegan on the Woke slot semi defending the milkshake being thrown at Leo Varadkar today

Roe McDermott or Roe Finnegan? No idea who Finnegan is, sadly I am aware of McDermott

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Roe McDermott or Roe Finnegan? No idea who Finnegan is, say I am aware of McDermott

Apologies....Roe McDermott

• Advertisement

Apologies....Roe McDermott

The coffee gets a pass as it was black or brown then. Makes perfect sense.

#woke

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

thought she'd be offended as Leo is part of a minority group. If it was a straight white irish male she'd be delighted

Start the programme with Roe McDermott, with more man bashing.

"men are 33% more likely to interrupt a woman than they are a man".

Sweet Jesus.

Edit: not sure if this is meant to be a discussion on the debate in the US, or a man being mean to women one????

Edit: think she was getting a little emotional there at the end ... lucky she wasn't on with Duffy or Tubs, they would have kept going cos they could sense tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Deiselurker

I heard that yesterday. I haven't listened to it in months but had it on as was driving. I haven't missed that kind of nonsense from Roe McDermott and the other woke contributors who turn everything into a gender or race issue.
    They must be losing listeners due to this agenda and should have more common sense guests on.

I heard that yesterday. I haven't listened to it in months but had it on as was driving. I haven't missed that kind of nonsense from Roe McDermott and the other woke contributors who turn everything into a gender or race issue.
    They must be losing listeners due to this agenda and should have more common sense guests on.

Well I do know he’s lost me as a listener. Not only has Matt given up any semblance of an enquiring approach to topics, and become more biased than some US tv anchors, but the quality of contributors is approaching rock bottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Horse84

https://twitter.com/cooper_m/status/1314651454867636225?s=21

He is owning his woke self that’s for sure

I caught the tv segment with Jennifer Gannon*.

So in the first 90mins of yesterday’s show there was Gannon AND BOTH McDermott’s (Woke and Roe)? #wokefest

*Jennifer naturally referred to a female “gaff goddess” when talking about an Irish version of changing rooms. And talked about “the national ‘psych’” - I assume she meant “ psyche”. :rolleyes:

I caught the tv segment with Jennifer Gannon*.

So in the first 90mins of yesterday’s show there was Gannon AND BOTH McDermott’s (Woke and Roe)? #wokefest

*Jennifer naturally referred to a female “gaff goddess” when talking about an Irish version of changing rooms. And talked about “the national ‘psych’” - I assume she meant “ psyche”. :rolleyes:

“The Last Woke” with Matt Cooper

I rarely listen myself to TLW any more, only had it on to listen to Dunphy about the football.

That segment with the 2 McDermotts and Matt in full Woke Mode was cringeworthy to listen to. Some people's lives just seem to be about watching out for things they can shout sexism/racism at. Matt is no better, he is a shadow of the journo he once was.

Will not be tuning in again for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

Should be renamed The Lost Word as it's currently only peddling to certain agendas. Matt seems to be pandering to the faux outrage brigade now that his MC conference Charing gigs are gone for the foreseeable. Probably goes down on his knees nightly praying he lands a gig in RTE.

Would love if they changed the theme tune to this based on the name alone:

Then when they listen to the words they can all have a #groupcry together, as this is a subject so serious it's not to be made fun of.............;):rolleyes::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

NIMAN wrote: »
    I rarely listen myself to TLW any more, only had it on to listen to Dunphy about the football.

That segment with the 2 McDermotts and Matt in full Woke Mode was cringeworthy to listen to. Some people's lives just seem to be about watching out for things they can shout sexism/racism at. Matt is no better, he is a shadow of the journo he once was.

Will not be tuning in again for a while.

go WOKE - go broke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

At last, Cal having a right go at Matt and Marian.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,251 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

At last, Cal having a right go at Matt and Marian.

Posted this in the other thread.

No its tragic tbh. Cal is badly struggling with the news of Trump going. He became way more hardline Trump diehard after his wife died and is clearly not coping. He used to be better than this and reeling him out now post Trump is unfair. He used to be a good counter voice, now its tantrums and conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Cal remarried about 5 minutes after his wife died. I agree though - he has really gone way over to the loony side. I used to enjoy listening to him because he gave the other side of the argument without sounding like an extra from Fox News. Not any more, I'm afraid. Too much Trump is bad for you, no matter what you what your political persuasion is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Actually felt sad listening to Cal tonight trying to defend the indefensible i used to enjoy him before with the alternative view on topics but he seems to have really be hooked into all of this conspiracy stuff coming from the Trump side .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Tork wrote: »
    Cal remarried about 5 minutes after his wife died. I agree though - he has really gone way over to the loony side. I used to enjoy listening to him because he gave the other side of the argument without sounding like an extra from Fox News. Not any more, I'm afraid. Too much Trump is bad for you, no matter what you what your political persuasion is.

Cal was a presenter on FOX news back in the day , member of a panel discussion at weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Cal was a presenter on FOX news back in the day , member of a panel discussion at weekend

I'd forgotten about Cal's Fox News past :o Anyway, the point I was trying to make is that he used to be worth listening to. Most Irish people, I think, watch US politics with European eyes and find it hard to understand the mindset of people who vote for Republicans. It isn't helped by there being something of a pro-Democrat bias on the radio. So many of the Republican/Trump analysts who come onto the radio come across as obnoxious wingnuts, so it was good to hear Cal instead. I didn't really agree with him but was always interested in what he had to say. I've never liked how Matt and Marion gang up on him and try to shout him down and often wonder how they've all supposedly managed to remain friends through all of it. He was always going to blow, I think. Especially this week when he wasn't a happy man at all. It is a shame that he has gone down the angry, conspiratorial route but maybe watching too much conservative media has done that to him. He is no fan of the Democrats so I guess seeing Joe Biden getting back in has been playing on his mind. I bet there was a lot of kissing and making up going on during the ad break!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Was on a long drive home - covid rules legitimately - while listening to TLW this evening.

First off Marion McKeowns line was terrible, dropping out every 3 seconds.

Cal Thomas line was perfect.

Matt Copper ignored Cal Thomas at one stage when the line was perfect and passed onto the other contributioner whose line was dropping continuously. Just because the other contributer agreed with him. It was disgraceful radio and Cooper deserves a wrap in the knuckles for it. I would be surprised if there wasn't complaints lodged to the BAI.

And I don't believe his excuse for a minute naout technical difficulties. He had no problem hearing Marion who dropped off but couldn't hear Cal whose line was perfect.

That's like something you'd hear from Trump Matt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

While I don't agree with Cal's views and he certainly lost the plot yesterday,his treatment from Matt and Marion over the years has been disgraceful. When Marion is speaking she is rarely interrupted but Cal is always by the other two. How many times over the years in this segment has Cal to remind Matt that he is still on the line as Matt allows Marion go on a long rant.The amount of time Cal is allowed to express his views(whether right or wrong) is minuscule in comparison to the time Marion and indeed Matt speak,even though Matt is supposed to be neutral and facilitating the debate.
    Matt as a presenter and journalist has gone way down in my estimation over the 4 years of Trump's tenure as President. Ok he doesn't like Donald(which is fair enough) but his childish attacks on Donald over the years and his behaviour when talking about Donald is no better than the way Trump conducts himself at times. Of course the irony of that is lost on Matt

If Cal didnt spend half his time complaining about lack of time and a quarter of the remaining time spouting conspiracies/refusing to answer a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭giveitholly

pjohnson wrote: »
    If Cal didnt spend half his time complaining about lack of time and a quarter of the remaining time spouting conspiracies/refusing to answer a question.

He doesn't spend half his time complaining about lack of time,not denying he is losing the plot regards Trump in the last week or two but I am talking about his treatment over the last few years,No way does did he get as much air time as Marion did

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭DrSerious3

Cal wasnt at his most articulate but its hard to blame him. The way he has been treated by Matt over the last year has been disgraceful, I have never seen a contributor getting such treatment on any radio show. If they want am American Republican voice on Today FM they should listen to the arguments presented. I wonder if he will be back next week - if I was him I wouldn't.

DrSerious3 wrote: »
    Cal wasnt at his most articulate but its hard to blame him. The way he has been treated by Matt over the last year has been disgraceful, I have never seen a contributor getting such treatment on any radio show. If they want am American Republican voice on Today FM they should listen to the arguments presented. I wonder if he will be back next week - if I was him I wouldn't.

If Today FM want an American Republican voice they wouldnt ask Cal back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Budget must be tight wouldn't have the resources that even cash strapped rte can fund the talk shows and back up staff needed so just put out cheaper shows to fill the time .

Advertisement