Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE 1: 'Today' with Claire Byrne

Options

Comments

She seems to be developing a bit of an obsession about social media. The trouble with it is that it can be a platform for self importance if the posting is coming across more about oneself than about another focus, eg one's hobby of photographing wildflowers or music artists. There is no excuse for the class of abuse that happens, but it is human nature to respond somewhat negatively to Individuals who appear to elevate themselves into a self-promoting platform.

Claire said that she considers any criticism hard to take, and that the abusive trolling must be so much worse. It just shows, she herself has admitted there at not being good at handling negative feedback, which is not a great way to be for somebody with a daily public presence on the airwaves. Moderate criticism, not personal abuse, should be seen as helpful feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,113 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

She seems to be developing a bit of an obsession about social media. The trouble with it is that it can be a platform for self importance if the posting is coming across more about oneself than about another focus, eg one's hobby of photographing wildflowers or music artists. There is no excuse for the class of abuse that happens, but it is human nature to respond somewhat negatively to Individuals who appear to elevate themselves into a self-promoting platform.

Claire said that she considers any criticism hard to take, and that the abusive trolling must be so much worse. It just shows, she herself has admitted there at not being good at handling negative feedback, which is not a great way to be for somebody with a daily public presence on the airwaves. Moderate criticism, not personal abuse, should be seen as helpful feedback.

Correct Cat, these people seem to think that they can use a state media platform,paid for by the taxpayer to speak ‘ex cathedra’ on subjects they like.

Journalists seem to think they can toss out their ideals from a media outlet and that the great unwashed should not bite back and see through their agenda.

Clare needs to develope a thicker skin if this is her opening salvo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

It's her level, anything unprepared and the whole tone of it needs to be dumbed down so she is not found out. Anything unexpected, no, absolutely no or someone who is capable of a high level of discussion.

Always in any organisation, when the top is rotten (Dee Forbes), then you can expect this kind of nonsense. More interested in berating the common man about non payment of the licence fee then looking at the organisation she is meant to be tasked with running for its failing in providing any sort of decent platform for those which it claims to represent. The Irish people.

Only way to deal with them is through mass non payment of the licence fee. Unfortunately in this country we are far too subservient which makes it no surprise the English ruled us for nearly 400 years.

It's her level, anything unprepared and the whole tone of it needs to be dumbed down so she is not found out. Anything unexpected, no, absolutely no or someone who is capable of a high level of discussion.

Always in any organisation, when the top is rotten (Dee Forbes), then you can expect this kind of nonsense. More interested in berating the common man about non payment of the licence fee then looking at the organisation she is meant to be tasked with running for its failing in providing any sort of decent platform for those which it claims to represent. The Irish people.

Only way to deal with them is through mass non payment of the licence fee. Unfortunately in this country we are far too subservient which makes it no surprise the English ruled us for nearly 400 years.

Jaysus Jim........glad you lanced that boil, I’d say.

Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Alan Kelly saying he's being "constructive"...but in a confused kind of way of course. The confusion virus spreading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Cole wrote: »
    Alan Kelly saying he's being "constructive"...but in a confused kind of way of course. The confusion virus spreading.

Ak47 started off the interview by saying that he was fully behind the government then had totally changed his mind by the end of the interview.

He's always good for a laugh is our Alan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

I must say I was impressed by Michael McGrath this morning. Strong confident performance.

boardise wrote: »
    I must say I was impressed by Michael McGrath this morning. Strong confident performance.

Yes. Countered the confusion narrative and addressed any legitimate area of questioning around the plan in a calm, confident way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Yes. Countered the confusion narrative and addressed any legitimate area of questioning around the plan in a calm, confident way.

It was a good performance, however you can't really blame the media for the confusion narrative - it was handed to them on a plate.

Infoanon wrote: »
    It was a good performance, however you can't really blame the media for the confusion narrative - it was handed to them on a plate.

I can blame them...and some politicians. For example, David McCullagh with MM on the Six One News yesterday finding flaws/confusion in the plan, only to have the details pointed out to him.

Areas for genuine clarification...yes...but confusion...no.

• Advertisement

I can blame them...and some politicians. For example, David McCullagh with MM on the Six One News yesterday finding flaws/confusion in the plan, only to have the details pointed out to him.

Areas for genuine clarification...yes...but confusion...no.

When clarity isnt given ,when ministers contradict each other it's a bit rich to blame the media

When clarity isnt given ,when ministers contradict each other it's a bit rich to blame the media

Of course they should seek clarity but claims of "chaos" around the plan, that many are throwing around, are just ridiculous...and again I do blame the media for stoking this. For example, Bryan Dobson's opening sentence on Morning Ireland today..."chaos and confusion" like this was a fact.

The minute that the five levels suddenly expanded to include level 2.5, the clarity disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

I was surprised to hear JOC say FF are a center left party. Thought I was hearing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I was surprised to hear JOC say FF are a center left party. Thought I was hearing things.

I'm not surprised he would say it.

I'm surprised that anyone would believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

RBB didn't have to try hard to run rings around Claire just now. She was far too scared to butt in and may as well have nipped out for a coffee break there the little she said. God help us when some of the more mouthy PBP types come into studio for a debate.

"The yoga community really needs to be supported now"...

Where can I make a donation...surely there's a petition somewhere...a day to show our appreciation

The Gathering could be volatile.

O’Reilly seems a bit less frantic.

Maybe someone had a chat with Clare last week.

Josepha well able to deal with Louise despite Louise best attempts to shout over her

Josepha well able to deal with Louise despite Louise best attempts to shout over her

Someone from ‘upstairs’ obviously had a word with Clare.

And Clare seems to have had a word with the guests.

“Let’s not have that shambles we had last week” was the probable advice.

Louise started off at a much slower pace than the 150 mph and rising she usually starts off with.

Yes Josepha did well and the journo was even a bit less critical than usual.

Clare dropped the Storey ‘bomb’ on Louise right at the end and in fairness she handled it well too.

We. Shall. See.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Today with CB is the most boring naff show on prime time radio now. Listened back a few times over the week to make sure I was feeling OK, and yep. Bland, boring, no challenges, chewing gum for the ears.

Pat Kenny or LBC for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Louise is good at shouting over people. Years of practice.

Today with CB is the most boring naff show on prime time radio now. Listened back a few times over the week to make sure I was feeling OK, and yep. Bland, boring, no challenges, chewing gum for the ears.

Would’t be quite so critical but certainly on the way.

The only problem with Newsrant is exactly that - the ranting.

“Dr” Ciara Kelly excelled herself this morning, and then we moved on to Pat who continued on ranting about masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

what else could you call them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Bellbottoms

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    what else could you call them ?

I would of thought slightly right of center.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Will Yam wrote: »
    The only problem with Newsrant is exactly that - the ranting.

“Dr” Ciara Kelly excelled herself this morning, and then we moved on to Pat who continued on ranting about masks.

Better a rant than a soporific yawnfest on radio IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I would of thought slightly right of center.

Most certainly not

Better a rant than a soporific yawnfest on radio IMO.

An occasional rant is ok, but not when it goes on and on and on.

Like Kenny when he starts harrumphing about masks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,359 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Listened back to some of today's show. The interview with Sam Bennett was a prime example of how this show has changed with Claire Byrne. They spent about half the interview talking to his mother, playing clips of his grandfather, she joked about making him cry. It came across as an interview from the Life magazine rather than the main paper if that makes sense. Shame really, it's fallen so quickly.

Advertisement