Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor abolishes some roaming charges across the EU.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

silverwood wrote: »
    Why should the person calling be penalised just because the receiver is abroad? That's a bit mean :mad:

I could understand the charge if the person abroad wanted to call home alright, that's fair enough of course.

Sorry i picked you up wrong, if you or your wife is at home and the other is in the EU, yes you could call for free, and they could answer for free. Sorry my mistake, i thought you meant both of you away at the same time. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Cameraman

Sounded good - but just read the small print :

"The Roaming Offer shall apply for the period from May 5th 2011 to November 4th 2011(“the Applicable Period”), which period may be extended by Meteor at its sole discretion and determination. "

So - no guarantee it will last.

• Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

Does that mean we will still have free texts while roaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Good news alright, signed up there this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

pissed wrote: »
    So if I am in Portugal later this year and bring my 3 dongle with me which is topped up for €15 for one month on PAYG I can use it without further charges ?

Another option for data in Portugal is Vodafone. You can get a data sim for €5 in a local vodafone shop and then pay €1 per hour for internet access. Not sure what the minimum spend is but I usually top up by €10 for 10 hours. The sim card expires after six months if not used. You would also need to purchase a dongle if you dont have one already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

Dazzy wrote: »
    Another option for data in Portugal is Vodafone. You can get a data sim for €5 in a local vodafone shop and then pay €1 per hour for internet access. Not sure what the minimum spend is but I usually top up by €10 for 10 hours. The sim card expires after six months if not used. You would also need to purchase a dongle if you dont have one already.

Cheers, I have a few dongles, one is unlocked so that should be ok. Just a case of setting up a new connection. Keeps the teenagers happy at night :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Text "EUROPE" to 50104 for current Meteor Bill and PAYG customers.

Meteor Link

Its OPT IN so it doesnt change any T&C's so you cannot get out of contract. Who cares though. What a fantastic bit of news. They are the first Carrier in Europe to abolish roaming charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Im on an payg plan from a few years ago with free calls to a certain number and free texts to anyone. From what I read on this thread it is only on a specific PAYG contract so I cannot avail of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Im on an payg plan from a few years ago with free calls to a certain number and free texts to anyone. From what I read on this thread it is only on a specific PAYG contract so I cannot avail of this?

is that not free calls to one meteor number and free sms to all meteor numbers? either way, you are correct, that is an older plan. you must be on "anytime choice" to avail of this new offer (you can get free calls and texts to all meteor numbers on "choice" - there is very few reasons to still be on the older tariff). you can change tariff with a quick call to customer care and then opt in to the new offer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Folks if ye read the meteor link i provided above its all there.
    Qualifying Plans shall be Anytime Choice on Prepay and all current Bill Pay tariff plans, excluding Bill Pay Lite (SIM Only) plans, Connect 60 & 65, Bill Pay Max and Bill Pay Smart Unlimited. Any change of tariff to a non-qualifying plan, shall result in the loss of the Roaming Offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭ellobee

Kensington wrote: »
    And data is still €10.24/MB while roaming.

I'll be sticking with Three anyway...

Meteor to cut mobile broadband roaming rate by 90pc

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/item/21663-meteor-to-cut-mobile-broadb/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

theteal wrote: »
    is that not free calls to one meteor number and free sms to all meteor numbers? either way, you are correct, that is an older plan. you must be on "anytime choice" to avail of this new offer (you can get free calls and texts to all meteor numbers on "choice" - there is very few reasons to still be on the older tariff). you can change tariff with a quick call to customer care and then opt in to the new offer

The rest of the chargers are much cheaper on my plan. Very few numbers I ring are meteor, mostly o2. The number I ring the most in Meteor though so I have that free and cheaper calls to the othe rnumbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 mossyhayes

About time someone took the lead on this. Maybe the other operators will follow suit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

From Meteors FB page

Meteor
    Just heard that data roaming rate in the EU will be reduced to 99c per MB in the next 2 weeks. Good news!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

+1. To be reduced from 18th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

although both developments are great, I still think data roaming is a bit on the expensive side esp if you plan on using a phone as a sat nav

would certainly be picking up another network's sim which could be used abroad or getting one while there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

99c per MB is an improvement, but since they charge 69c for 50MB at home it is still 70 times the price. Better than 700 times, but not exactly good value.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

just download the maps before you go and then you don't need to roam for gps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Great news, might be a good idea to get a free Meteor SIM just for roaming: http://www.meteor.ie/plans/pay_as_you_go/free_sim_card/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭brk3

Dont know about you guys, but I think it's pretty poor if it doesn't come out of your plan. Why do they do this, you could already be paying them up to €50 a month which is dead money if you're roaming :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I will be bringing a Meteor sim on holidays with me this summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

brk3 wrote: »
    Dont know about you guys, but I think it's pretty poor if it doesn't come out of your plan. Why do they do this, you could already be paying them up to €50 a month which is dead money if you're roaming :confused:

Because when you're abroad you're not even using their network. I presume they break even now by charging you the standard rate. If it came out of your free allowance they would actually have to pay the foreign network for your calls.

It's a good deal, I'm going to go back on a meteor plan when the Galaxy S II becomes available.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

I don't understand all this noise. I am an O2 billpay customer and spend a lot of time in France. My latest bill shows use for March, while I was there. The prices for texts received & sent and for calls received and sent are lower than the new Meteor prices. A long time ago I got a text saying that following EU rules the prices for calls and texts while roaming would be reduced.

Meteor says "Meteor are the first operator in Ireland to abolish roaming charges in Europe" crap, as far as I am concerned, I don't recall ever paying a specific fixed price to receive a call.

BTW, I complained to O2 about data roaming charges and they changed my plan.....They still aren't cheap and I agree that roaming pricing generally is a racket.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

I'm going to Germany this week and it would be handy to have access to internet on my phone although 99c per meg is still a little pricey for me.

Would anyone know of any German network that I could pickup a prepaid sim card without having to fill in a load of documentation etc..

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

BarryM wrote: »
    I don't understand all this noise. I am an O2 billpay customer and spend a lot of time in France. My latest bill shows use for March, while I was there. The prices for texts received & sent and for calls received and sent are lower than the new Meteor prices. A long time ago I got a text saying that following EU rules the prices for calls and texts while roaming would be reduced.

Meteor says "Meteor are the first operator in Ireland to abolish roaming charges in Europe" crap, as far as I am concerned, I don't recall ever paying a specific fixed price to receive a call.

BTW, I complained to O2 about data roaming charges and they changed my plan.....They still aren't cheap and I agree that roaming pricing generally is a racket.

B

You must be the only person in Ireland that does not know the proper roaming rates. So i'll be nice and fill you in and get you up to date because you seriously need it. The following rates are for all networks in Ireland.

Its 18c a minute to receive a call in europe. It used to be much more before the EU stepped in.

The rate per minute to call someone while in the EU is 47c per minute.

So Meteor's new offer is excellent. Your comment now looks rediculous. So to say you have never paid for roaming in the EU before was downright silly. Maybe get the correct information in future before saying a new offer is ''crap'' when it most certainly is NOT.

Meteor are the first operator to abolish roaming charges, they would not advertise that if they weren't as it could lead to legal repercussions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭dowtchaboy

Tiesto wrote: »
    I'm going to Germany this week and it would be handy to have access to internet on my phone although 99c per meg is still a little pricey for me.

Would anyone know of any German network that I could pickup a prepaid sim card without having to fill in a load of documentation etc..

cheers
    Nip in to one of the MediaMarkt stores and get a SIM - can't recall the exact brand but I got one for €5 or less that had €10 of credit (I think). They have basically free phone + SIM deals too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Tiesto

dowtchaboy wrote: »
    Nip in to one of the MediaMarkt stores and get a SIM - can't recall the exact brand but I got one for €5 or less that had €10 of credit (I think). They have basically free phone + SIM deals too.

Thanks, ill do just that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Tiesto wrote: »
    Thanks, ill do just that

Cheapest would be to get an O2 Sim and sign up to someone like klarmobil, their showing up as the cheapest at the moment on prepay or freenetmobile.

Comparison

http://www.klarmobil.de/service/preislisten/index.html
    http://www.freenetmobile.de/wettbewerbsvergleich/index.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Mary28

I spent 13 minutes on the phone to Meteor customer care yesterday. Most of that time I was on hold. I was asking them to unlock my phone as I am in Belgium and I wanted to get a sim here to use as it would be cheaper, I explained all this to her. The customer care girl couldn't find the unlock code and was apparently ringing around trying to get it for me. She knew I was abroad already as I mentioned being on hold for so long was costing me a fortune. In the end she came back and said they'd have to contact the mobile phone company to get it and for me to call back in about a week to get the unlock code. At no point did the silly t!t think to tell me about this new offer. Raging now cos that call cost me a fortune. Like how thick are these people. Hardly required lateral thinking to give me a better solution!

Anyway earlier someone asked if you can txt that opt in no from abroad and I just txted it from Belgium and it worked. I received a txt confirmation that I would now benefit from this new offer.

Advertisement