Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female opinion on mothers plans

Options
  • 28-11-2020 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

I am not sure what could possibly be gained from any confrontation?

It sounds like that the relationship has either broken down completely long ago, or was never really there in the first place. I cannot see confrontation bringing anything positive, and to be honest may make for even deeper upset.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I think your user name OP says it all.

I would definately not confront your MIL over the ring, or menopause non-comment. Not because they wern’t cruel and viciously unkind but because any mother than can be that passive aggressive and casually cruel will enjoy swimming in the hurt she case caused, or will just leverage your comments for further spiteful comments or to hurt your wife more.

We all know someone who is like this. You wife hs as least stated her ‘claim’ on the rings - that they meant something to her and she had assumed as daughter that she would (automatically) get them. That’s enough to let the mother know she cares and is hurt by her actions.

Perhaps the MIL is trying to spike a divide between your wife and her niece and poison that relationship out of evil indifference, casual malice or jealousy.

At the end of the day they are your MIL’s rings and she can leave them to whomever she wants as a token of her affection or for whatever reason.

It may be 30 years yet until it becomes relevant - or they could be stolen by ‘carers’ ( as happened a close family member) or burgled or lost. What you don’t want is every time they fall our or your wife dosn’t perform some small service is for them to be used against her and continuously held against her. Life is too short. It sounds like a classic power play from someone who enjoys the trip and has little else to do.MIl sounds like a total weapon. Leave her to it & maybe your wife should not be confiding in her so much - she obviously don’t want to be involved and dosn’t want to emotionally engage.

Sorry to hear you have such trouble conceiving & such a classic b***** for a MIL - its a pity she is taking it out on her own daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MILfromhell

Advertisement