Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your new improved government regulations compliant cycle part II

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I passed a Boardsie on the way out of laragh heading to the sally gap. He was wearing a green logo shirt, has a beard...I envy anyone able to cycle up that ;)
    It was a glorious afternoon with the windows open going over the mountain.

Possibly myself, not actually a bad climb at all and well worth a go. You can always put your foot down and take a breather if needed.

Had planned on 137k yesterday, but a couple of extra unintended climbs left me a bit knackered and cut it short to 118k. First planned off road section had a high gate in front of it, serving as a reminder that bikemap.net will happily route you through someones front garden if you're not careful. Ended up going over Rocky valley drive instead, which is a tough little climb, Kilmac and back roads to and dirt tracks toward Rathdrum, where the climb up from Clara bridge managed to leave me truly gasping. Planned route had a few more of those ramps, but I got lazy and headed back via Laragh, coffee, gap and home. Lovely empty l-roads from Kilmac to Clara, with a nice off road stretch. I doubt I'll be taking the main road through Roundwood too often from now on. Also 1.7k climbing, about 200m of which was pretty brutal.

Got home, and youngest wanders up and wants to know if I'm up for going for a cycle? Sure why not, take the old hack out and head back out. Bike not feeling to great, and about 5 mins from the house hear a grinding noise, get some chain slip and find the BB is totally shot with cranks wobbling from side to side. Luckily we're at the top of a hill, so tell the youngest to keep going, scoot back down the hill, mostly freewheel it to the house, swap bikes, a sprint on after her. End up doing another lazy, chatty 18k with her, back home and beer time. Now off to find the BB removal tool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

46k around NCD, 26km/h average.
    i was wondering why strava was only reporting segments from the second half - for most of the first half, i appear to have been cycling around 20m east of the road, from the map display. since i obviously went cross country, i'm very pleased with my times.

https://www.strava.com/activities/691769570

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Featherbeds completely covered in fog, passed a Tesco man who had ran his truck off the road just at the bottom of the wall. Back in time to watch the match. Up the dubs!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

bazermc wrote: »
    ...passed a Tesco man who had ran his truck off the road just at the bottom of the wall...
    Did he come down The Wall in the truck? :eek:

Did he come down The Wall in the truck? :eek:

No it looked like he was on the way up and his van was on its left hand side with half of it in ditch. I was going to stop but didn't want to miss the match.

• Advertisement

Ah, a van - I was picturing a large truck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

I cleaned mine, thats as much as Ive done since the SKT! Havent felt right since that day actually.
    Well at least it looks lovely now!

Ah, a van - I was picturing a large truck!

No it was one of the Tesco delivery vans. I don't know what he was thinking trying to go up the road. The only house is at the top and that can be accessed from the old long hill road.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Usual Club spin on a Sunday, headed towards Kilkenny direction where there isn't a pothole to be seen, beautiful roads. I guess that's what multiple All Irelands gets you!
    I did pick up a 4th overall on a segment on Glenbower descent, small things make me happy.

127km with 1000m or so of climbing at 30.5km/h avg really nice day on the bike.

Time now to prep for two club races midweek to effectively finish the Summer season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,047 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Wife was booked in for a spa day in johnstown house, so I went out for a quick spin round carbury edenderry and back via back roads. Nice rolling roads, lovely day for it. 38.5km @28.1kph

https://www.strava.com/activities/692120206

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Easy 33km out to the Cliff Stop in Howth today @23kph, nice handy one before the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭jamesd

Did a local sportive 100km at average 28km, my fastest ever 100km so very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

A fast paced club spin across the Sally and Wicklow gaps plus a loop of the Laragh Classic route for some of the guys who'll be racing it. 140km at 27km/h average. Tough day out!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,952 ✭✭✭G1032

Not a great day on the bike and I had to call for the cavalry.

About 15km or so spin in to meet the club and then headed for Mulranny. Started to get pain in my right knee about 70km. We pulled in after I asked the gang if they wouldn't mind and I did a bit of stretching while they got a coffee. After the restart it was just as bad and when we hit the first incline out of Mulranny the pain got worse. Way worse. Limped back the 15+ km to Newport on my own praying that the youngest child wasn't gone down to bed so I could ring for a lift. My luck was in. My good wife came and got me in Newport. There was simply no way I'd have made the last 35km home on the bike. Had a nice big 99 cone and read the paper out in the sun while waiting for my lift after a 10 minute chat to a nice English couple who were riding tandem around Ireland. They were admiring my Brooks Cambium C17!!

102km done when I packed it in.
    29.8km/hr average
    633m
    One very sore knee.

Now to see what a few days rest will do for it. Fingers crossed it'll be OK soon. Giant's Causeway sportive coming up in 2 weeks.

https://www.strava.com/activities/691964593

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Best of luck with the knee, and enjoy a few lazy days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Miklos wrote: »
    A fast paced club spin across the Sally and Wicklow gaps plus a loop of the Laragh Classic route for some of the guys who'll be racing it. 140km at 27km/h average. Tough day out!

Wasn't one of you club members who had the classic fall over while there's an audience watching at Glenmacnass carpark was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Did a quick loop of Ballinastoe today. Beat quite a few PRs on the way up, none on the way down!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Wasn't one of you club members who had the classic fall over while there's an audience watching at Glenmacnass carpark was it?

Nope, not the crew I was out with anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Doc07

Miklos wrote: »

Tough day out! Try IKEA with a baby and a toddler.
    Sounds like I missed a good spin. Might not have been able to keep up though. Next week hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

You get good days and bad days and sometimes a bit of both. Today was one of those. I lost my Dad suddenly last week and it knocked the crap out of me. I tried to stay positive but it's hard. We're from the mountains and he loved the mountains. He'd walked all over the Wicklow hills on charity walks so every Sunday, part of my ritual would be to ring him on the way home and have the chat about where my spin took me today, the weather, the colours of the heather, the cackle of a cock Grouse.

After a week of beer and whiskey and comfort food I realy needed to just get out. I organised a spin with mate and we set off today, up Stocking Lane, Kippure, down to Laragh for coffee then up to the top of Turlough Hill and back home via Blessington. My mate is a good lad and when I wanted to talk we talked, when I said nothing he gave me my space.

My legs felt like shít and the head wasn't right. Half a dozen times I was about to quit on the hills. If I'd been on my own I probably would have. I let my buddy fly of up to the summits on his own but plodded along and caught him at the top. I'm supposed to be going on a cycling trip in a few weeks and at times I really felt like pulling the plug.
    The first hour or more up on the Gap and Kippure was a blanket fog but coming down to Laragh it brightened up and my own mood lifted with the sunshine. The descent down the Gap on the new tar was exhilarating. The legs were still like lead for the spin up to Turlough Hill and I struggled a fair bit coming back along the N81 but my head was clearer. Not particularly good, but definitely better. Looking forward to getting back out a bit more over the next few weeks and hopefully have a good holiday at the end of the month.
    So anyways, sorry for the misery, I'l hopefully be a bit more upbeat next time out.

112km , 1588m climbed.
    https://www.strava.com/activities/691964592

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

46k around NCD, 26km/h average.
    i was wondering why strava was only reporting segments from the second half - for most of the first half, i appear to have been cycling around 20m east of the road, from the map display. since i obviously went cross country, i'm very pleased with my times.

https://www.strava.com/activities/691769570
    actually, does anyone know how this happens? i know i can't fix it for the cycle today (annoying, as i'd like to see how i did on the climb up to fourknocks) but is this a glitch likely to happen again?

actually, does anyone know how this happens? i know i can't fix it for the cycle today (annoying, as i'd like to see how i did on the climb up to fourknocks) but is this a glitch likely to happen again?

I've noticed that the GPS on your phone is a good bit less accurate than the GPS on a Garmin or the like. I'd imagine this is what happened here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

So sorry about your da, Daroxtar. It's trite to say it, but he'll be there in the mountains for you, and he'll continue through you and on.

There's a setting on Garmin to lock it onto roads but I'm not sure if a similar thing exists for the phone.

P_1 wrote: »
    I've noticed that the GPS on your phone is a good bit less accurate than the GPS on a Garmin or the like. I'd imagine this is what happened here.
    i'd expect more inaccuracy, but to remain consistently and noticeably out struck me as odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭secman

Headed from house to ballyedmund, boolavogue , ratheenduff, oulart, up by oulart hill , on out on to main road to wexford, into castlebridge . Just before wexford town took the left turn , coast road back to curracloe, Blackwater, kilmuckridge, back to house.

7o km Avg 25.1 kph. Felt tired after a late night, hit the sack at 3 am. Too old for this staying out late lark:

Condolences to Daroxtar on losing your dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

In the days when I used a satnav for driving - first Garmin, then TomTom, which I found better - I noticed that mist and heavy cloud tended to throw off the accuracy; several times I saw the 'car' cursor apparently travelling parallel to the road on the map when the clouds were heavy, while my wheels were securely on tarmac.

108km this morning. Park - Maynooth - Dunshaughlan - Ashbourne - Garristown - Naul - Balrothery - Skerries - Rush and a pothole and a rescue call at Blakes Cross.

Managed to steal someone's KOM though :p

https://www.strava.com/activities/693491337

• Registered Users Posts: 9,136 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

P_1 wrote: »
    Managed to steal someone's KOM though :p
    It's hard to tell if that segment is a proper noun or an instruction (much like Roger Moore) :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Went up to the Featherbeds this morning before work, via Stocking Avenue, Hellfire etc.

Such a lovely morning. The only annoy thing was the amount of sheep on the roads. Worse than cyclists tbh. They were EVERYWHERE! Three and four abreast at times!

Notable point... If you are cycling up to hellfire, after the TimberTrove place, on the right there is a gaff, and in their garden the have built what is basically a Glass cube with seats etc. tis a stunning yoke. I can't even begin to imaging the views they get from it.

Anyways, 440m climbed with 20 odd km done. Not bad considering I left the gaff at 6:am. Better than nothing!

The sheep ruined my descent though.

You win this time Petri dish!

(Sorry for your loss Daroxtar) :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement