Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi vis discussion thread (read post #1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭what_traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

We've seen hi-vis hookers and hens (note the reg plate btw) already in this thread.

Time to start collecting images of hi-vis ridiculousness I reckon.

men-in-skirts-branan-the-builder-wearing-high-vis-kilts.jpeg

vagarbetskilten.jpg

157079.jpg

HighVis1.jpg?resize=850%2C1265

210914genhivis9_1a1tmg6-1a1tmgb.jpg

article-2589722-1C8E3A0500000578-6_634x506.jpg

HN%20robbery6.jpg

10624959_782874181777564_1521372265819725414_n.jpg?oh=8ed3f3fc38344898cc1e344f16be1ce0&oe=552163FC

high-viz-jacket-protest.png

At least those robbers had hi vis on, it's always important to have health and safety at the forefront of every risky activity, ensure staff are properly trained and a thorough risk assessment is in place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Ryath

So operation transformation are having 10k cycles in a few places around the country to encourage people to be active and normalise cycling. High vis vests mandatory for the spins.

So tips I got from the video dayglow boil in the jacket at all times.
    Leave your rear light pointing downwards facing the road.
    Use a front light that's about as bright as a candle. To see where you're going!
    Wear your helmet pushed back on your head to leave more of your face exposed.
    Did I miss any?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Ryath wrote: »
    Did I miss any?

Yes, you missed the
    - take your hand off the bars/brakes when you are trying to stop to give an obscure hand-signal that will be unnoticed by 90% of drivers and misinterpreted by 9%
    - keep your leg bent when on the saddle to make sure you are in no danger of building up enough speed to keep warm or get home before nightfall

What a dick. Who comes up with this stuff?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

RainyDay wrote: »
    Yes, you missed the
    - take your hand off the bars/brakes when you are trying to stop to give an obscure hand-signal that will be unnoticed by 90% of drivers and misinterpreted by 9%
    - keep your leg bent when on the saddle to make sure you are in no danger of building up enough speed to keep warm or get home before nightfall

Cycling Ireland apparently as he states in his second last sentence.

The stopping signal and straight ahead signals may be some kind of internal Cycling Ireland thing. They are not what is found in the traffic regulations.

In the traffic regs slowing down or stopping is an outstretched right hand moved up and down. Going straight ahead is the right arm held out, bent at the elbow and with the hand up. (Although stricly speaking this is a signal meant to be given to police on point duty)

That said these "official" signals would also be obscure and probably unrecognised by many drivers.

Edit: I should point out that his left and right signals are not what is in the traffic regulations either. To be lawful, and more importantly effective, the arm is supposed to be held straight out from the shoulder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Did I miss any?

• Make sure the OT walking and cycling events are one-off or sporadic.
    • Drive to the events; do not walk or cycle.
    • Wearing hi-vis is mandatory, in order to reinforce the key messages that occasional regimented exercise is healthy and that walking and cycling are dangerous.
    • To dispel any mistaken impressions that walking or cycling daily is a good way to get regular exercise, close the roads during the event and use the footpaths for car parking.

408c09e8f0.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

So operation transformation are having 10k cycles in a few places around the country to encourage people to be active and normalise cycling. High vis vests mandatory for the spins.

[YOURUBE]OHCR0XDV0xo[/YOUTUBE]

So tips I got from the video dayglow boil in the jacket at all times.
    Leave your rear light pointing downwards facing the road.
    Use a front light that's about as bright as a candle. To see where you're going!
    Wear your helmet pushed back on your head to leave more of your face exposed.
    Did I miss any?

What a clown...

Yes, you missed the

- Make sure the chain on your bike is fitted a little too short. This will make sure it pulls the derailleur forward and eventually damages it. The resulting accident may result in you being thrown from the bike.

- nice baggy GAA / Golf leggings are essential for getting caught in the front chain rings or derailleur.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    408c09e8f0.jpg

Don't forget the mandatory ambulance when out for a sedentary walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    - Make sure the chain on your bike is fitted a little too short. This will make sure it pulls the derailleur forward and eventually damages it. The resulting accident may result in you being thrown from the bike.

- nice baggy GAA / Golf leggings are essential for getting caught in the front chain rings or derailleur.

-Always display your bike so the drive side is away from the camera . :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

So it is finally happening...https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/563369634637053952

Have to say I find the issuing of High Viz bemusing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭buffalo

https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/563369634637053952

So it's official - a hi-viz vest is a badge of shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Did I miss any?

Cycling doesn't put "any pressure whatsoever on your joints".
    I have a feeling poor Carl Henry is a victim of a really shoddy script and operation transformation trying to cover their arses with the whole hivis thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Yes, cycling, along with swimming, is often recommended for not being weight-bearing to any great extent.

I'm not commenting on the video directly, as I can't bring myself to watch it. This hi-viz lunacy is starting to depress me more than the other business that had to be quarantined into a megathread. At least I thought they'd leave me alone when I was walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Cakewheels

Someone already posted above about the OT Cycle. My main addition to the comments on the video is why did they not use a hybrid bike rather than a road one when they are talking about a 10k cycle for beginners? I'm very curious about whether that was just the presenters idea, or Cycling Ireland or the OT Producer. Also they spent more of the video talking about the equipment than the cycling skills. Making beginners believe they need to buy a special and potentially expensive jacket is a bit daft as well, worth it for a year round commuter in a city, but hardly necessary for an occasional weekend leisure cycle or trip to the shops on a nice day in a sleepy town.

The high vis thing seems to go way further than the cycle with them.

This weeks episode first featured kids in a school playground all decked out in high vis. Do they think it will make them more visible for the camera or something? Maybe they were out for a walk as well but it only showed them in the playground. It is as if people are starting to think high vis is some essential piece of useful exercise equipment in its own right, like a pair of runners.

After that there was a walking group in Cork on beautiful sunny day. Wouldn't mind if it was dark or something but it was the middle of a sunny day.

What can be done to tackle this?

I did see a advert for OT this week which showed a group cycling withOUT hi-vis - shock horror! They might have been in a park, but it wasn't really clear from the brief clip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

The importance of hi-viz on the road......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

I did see a advert for OT this week which showed a group cycling withOUT hi-vis - shock horror! They might have been in a park, but it wasn't really clear from the brief clip.

Also on Nationwide last night, a group of cyclists going through a forest park without any hi-vis on. What if the deer or other wildlife wanted to stampede across the road? They would never have spotted them without the hi-vis :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What if the deer or other wildlife wanted to stampede across the road? They would never have spotted them without the hi-vis :rolleyes:
    Yes, deer and other wildlife should definitely put on hi-vis vests before stampeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I want to be safe - so as the old adage goes 'be safe, be seen'.
    To that end I have purchased:
    Hi viz yellow fluo socks.
    Hi viz yellow flou arm warmers.
    Black castelli shorts with yellow fluo high viz panelling. The shorts are particularly interesting in that the chamois is known as a kiss. So the hi biz apparel will we quite literally be kissing my ass.

Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭bambergbike

What baffles me about Operation Transformation events with *everyone* in hi-vis is how people are supposed to be able to quickly identify a marshall or an organizer if ALL the participants are dressed up as marshalls.

I smuggled an (unfortunately near-subliminal) message about the general uselessness of RSA-issue hi-vis into the paper of record this morning:
    http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/urban-speed-limits-are-too-high-1.2107318

• Registered Users Posts: 31,015 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

What baffles me about Operation Transformation events with *everyone* in hi-vis is how people are supposed to be able to quickly identify a marshall or an organizer if ALL the participants are dressed up as marshalls.

spartacus.png

etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

I am Cancellara!

(hmm, I've gone wrong here, I think!)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Yes, deer and other wildlife should definitely put on hi-vis vests before stampeding.

This was on Reddit today (they're painted):

BCTPuD5.jpg
    Reindeer are not hunted, but while they roam freely for most of the year, they are owned like cattle. The antlers glow only in car headlights so it's not like wolves are scanning the forest with searchlights for flashy reindeer. In addition to danger they pose on the roads as they do not fear vehicles, the herders have an economic incentive to keep the stock alive. If you drive in Lapland you cannot avoid seeing these animals around roadsides in large flocks. They cause traffic jams just by chilling on the road as well. In the wilderness of Lapland there are few street lights and the nights are tremendously long. I mean polar night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

A flock of reindeer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

http:/www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/editorials/article/Bill-to-require-bike-helmets-intrigues-but-needs-6086168.php

The prospective all-ages helmet law is getting most of the attention, but there is a requirement to"don reflective clothing while cycling at night" mentioned there too.

Not sure what the law's chances of coming into effect actually are. I assume the Republicans would mostly oppose it, but I don't know what sort of make-up California has politically these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Pinch Flat wrote: »

For some reason their PhotoShop of Steve McQueen in Hi-Vis also includes a Canterbury training top.

Advertisement