Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

** Vehicle Hire queries **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Glebee

In regard to being high back boosters or even just basic boosters on a plane, do you have to pay extra to bring these?

Basic boosters are free as carry on, did not travel with high back but think they go in hold free.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭golfman

Hi folks,

I have a real odd situation. Back in May I hired a car for an impending trip to Spain. I was floating around all the price comparison sites etc trying to find the best deal and I went ahead and booked it. I can't for the life of me remember which site I ended up booking it on as I'd looked at so many.

It was late at night and I didn't check for a confirmation email. I'm flying on Sunday. I can't find any confirmation email. I've searched my email around the date I booked it - nothing, the airport name - nothing, car hire - nothing, car- nothing. No sign of it. All spam emails have been deleted that far back.

I checked my bank statement and it said I paid my money to a company called CARHIRE. Not much help. I've contacted the bank 3 times, been onto the fraud dept for over 30 mins and they can't tell me who received that money! All they can tell me is it was an irish company and this is a "strange case".

I've tried to retrieve my booking on every car hire site that offers cars at the airport and none recognise a booking.

Has anyone else rented a car and the reference on their bank statement was CARHIRE ?

My only other option is to cancel it through the bank but I will pay nearly 2.5X what I paid due to the last minute nature of it...

Any ideas much appreciated.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you don't delete your history your browser history might show what site you used.

spurious wrote: »
    If you don't delete your history your browser history might show what site you used.

Genius.... although it will probably show every site under the sun but its a good start!

I'm at work at the moment, laptop at home. Will try that later..

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

golfman wrote: »

I've tried to retrieve my booking on every car hire site that offers cars at the airport and none recognise a booking.

How have you tried to retrieve the booking, do you have a reference number or something or just using your email address?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you know roughly the dates, it's just a matter of ploughing through them, or using the right search term. All is not lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

It's not CARHIRE.ie is it ?

https://www.carhire.ie

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    How have you tried to retrieve the booking, do you have a reference number or something or just using your email address?

Yep, tried that on all the sites using email address and date. I don't have the booking ref number unfortunately.

spurious wrote: »
    If you know roughly the dates, it's just a matter of ploughing through them, or using the right search term. All is not lost.

I know the exact date as I have the transaction on my bank statement so should be able to really narrow it down.

They have an online chat help section, might be worth a shot

• Advertisement

Unfortunately they only do car hire in Ireland. This booking is for Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

would you have used another email address perhaps

k123456 wrote: »
    would you have used another email address perhaps

Unless I typed it in incorrectly, I wouldn't have.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

Does your email provider have a "restore deleted items" option? Maybe you deleted the email accidentally or never noticed it in your spam folder.

Halfbaker wrote: »
    Does your email provider have a "restore deleted items" option? Maybe you deleted the email accidentally or never noticed it in your spam folder.

I'm still on Yahoo..... its a miracle if you can search your inbox let alone restore deleted items.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Would you have used the 'broker' DoyouSpain.com - they might be able to help?

Would you have used the 'broker' DoyouSpain.com - they might be able to help?

So I'm currently having a twitter converstaion with Cartrawler. I asked them if they knew who CARHIRE would be a reference to as they partner with most companies. They came back and said it looks like its them, but they can't find my booking anywhere...... even after giving them all the information.

The plot thickens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Surely your bank will have an accompanying identifier code, tracing that particular transaction to the car hire provider.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    Surely your bank will have an accompanying identifier code, tracing that particular transaction to the car hire provider.

You would have thought so but no. They had no idea who the beneficiary of this money is, which is madness.

Update:

After randomly tweeting CarTrawler, and their finance dept were able to trace the transaction and find the booking. They sent me through the confirmation so all is sorted.

Their customer service was top notch as a side note. A refreshing change......

Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Advertisement

Great! Now enjoy your holiday!

Meeeee79 wrote: »
    Great! Now enjoy your holiday!

Thanks! I intend to! Today was a bit perplexing to say the least. Still can't get over that the banks had no idea where the money went.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Had a strange and stressful (at the time) experience in Toulouse Airport last week. You do your paperwork in the terminal building but pick up the car keys from a kiosk in a nearby multi-storey.

Got the keys no bother and the car was only 20 metres from the kiosk. On loading the cases I put the keys down in the boot to lift another case. Then without thinking I closed the lid to find that the entire car was locked.

No real bother I thought and hopped back into the kiosk to get them to open the car with the spare or master key. Foolish me. Long story short they don't hold spare or master keys and the only way they could open the car was to smash the window. They gave me a replacement car and the rest of the break went fine.

The crazy situation now is that I am held liable for the replacement window and am waiting on the bill. What I can't get over is that the car was standing beside the kiosk, not miles away on the side of a road, and they had no way to release the lock other than break in to the car. It's hard to believe that rental companies do not have an easier way of dealing with what is probably a relatively common occurrence.

Anyway, next car rental: give keys to missus, tell her to stand at least 5 metres away until boot is loaded. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4 irelandbill

I think your right 'leakinglava', as the tracking page just updates the date each day and the message stays the same. What a waste of my time and tax money. It tells me nothing and just worries people!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I think your right 'leakinglava', as the tracking page just updates the date each day and the message stays the same. What a waste of my time and tax money. It tells me nothing and just worries people!!!!!!!!!

How is a website updating wasting your 'tax money'?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭redcup342

FYI Just a head up on Sixt Germany.

They've recently changed their Website so that if you just go with the default options you have Third Party Insurance only without CDW.

I.E. you are liable for the full cost of the car if you crash it.

You need to tick the box for Insurance (usually around 6/7 euros per day)
    422565.JPG
    422566.JPG
    If you do not tick this box, when you arrive at the desk you'll be told you have No Insurance and the only option will be to take their basic insurance for 25-30 euros per day.

Other option is to just not take it and be liable for the entire value of the car, which could be 28-50k depending on the vehicle you have rented.

Never seen it in Europe anyway, normally an excess of between 1000 and 2500 euros is the default option.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Need to rent a car for a week in Faro, Portugal. I have rented cars many times in the last few years and often I'm left disappointed. They promise you one car but you get a sh*ttier version. With so many booking sites and variances on price etc is there any way to better ensure you get what you want?

Last time I went I got a dirt cheap car, little 1L supermimi, the A/C died and we roasted. This time I want something decent. Ideally I'd love something fun or different - maybe even a convertible if its within budget.

Any tips on getting a decent car at a decent price without getting the runaround?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

I find Ryanair best for prices
    They are a broker service, and the car hire co, will be any one of many car hire companies, Hertz, Europcar , Dollar etc
    The cheapest quotes will be someone like Goldcar, Firefly etc
    and the more expensive Hertz, Europcar etc

assuming the price difference is not huge, I would go with the more expensive Hertz, Europcar etc
    Google : 
    Goldcar , Firefly etc and you will see 1000's of unsatisfied customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

ollaetta wrote: »

The crazy situation now is that I am held liable for the replacement window and am waiting on the bill. What I can't get over is that the car was standing beside the kiosk, not miles away on the side of a road, and they had no way to release the lock other than break in to the car. It's hard to believe that rental companies do not have an easier way of dealing with what is probably a relatively common occurrence.

Anyway, next car rental: give keys to missus, tell her to stand at least 5 metres away until boot is loaded. :o

Operators in Europe don't seem to follow the US model, where every car is left open, with the key in the glove compartment or on the dash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

How clean does a rental car have to be when you give it back?, currently have a focus in Nice that I've had for 10 days and need to take back tomorrow. It's covered in sand on the outside, do I need to wash it?

Advertisement