Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

75% of Dubliners satisfied with PT in their City

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Bray Head

The DART is no better than it was 30 years ago when I started using it.

Same: comfort of carriages
    Better: Leap, better access at some stations, RTPI
    Worse: it is slower between Bray and Pearse

So on balance, no change.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Bray Head wrote: »
    The DART is no better than it was 30 years ago when I started using it.

Same: comfort of carriages
    Better: Leap, better access at some stations, RTPI
    Worse: it is slower between Bray and Pearse

So on balance, no change.

Why is it slower between Bray and Pearse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I'd like some of what they are smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,886 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

DB is great where I am TG. I can get Luas too, but the bus is handier for me, and quicker believe it or not, bus lane all the way in really.

Problem is the traffic in the city centre holding up buses. Mad. So while I'm happy with my own service, there are problems outside their control too.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

DB is great where I am TG. I can get Luas too, but the bus is handier for me, and quicker believe it or not, bus lane all the way in really.

Problem is the traffic in the city centre holding up buses. Mad. So while I'm happy with my own service, there are problems outside their control too.

You'll find DB tend to up their game when they have competition from another service

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,112 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

I've already posted my views but I should probably add that I don't think that 75% should be considered a spectacular result. I would think that 80% should be a pass and 85%+ a respectable figure. Over 90% would probably signify that the populace takes a quality PT system for granted. That's where we should be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭GreenFolder2

This is the problem though - There's no political demand for good public transport in Ireland, only more and more roads.

Like it or not, Ireland makes political and democratic choices to scatter the population as thinly as possible. That is a political decision. It's not accidental. People do not vote for parties that restrict planning permission, that propose denser housing in cities or that have proposed sane approaches to how we organise things.

The electorate likes : big one off houses in the countryside, motorways, a university and a hospital in every village and paying as little tax as humanly possible while getting maximum social welfare and world class social services.

They want gigabit broadband everywhere, but won't live in concentrated towns / villages making it impossible to provide. The water's polluted because there's no way of connecting sewage treatment to one-off-housing in scattered developments. They want a specific type of school of every citizen : catholic, slightly posher catholic, male, female, christian, non-christian, irish speaking, protestant, jewish, hindu, muslim etc but then go mad when that costs money and will not compromise.

Hospitals must be able to do full cardiac surgery in every small town.

That's basically what you're dealing with here. A completely unrealistic set of requirements that will never be satisfied.

We will never have decent public transport when nobody sees it as a priority and everyone's focused on living on a 3/4 acre site on the side of a road with easy access to a motorway.

When the oil runs out we are absolutely doomed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

How can anyone be satisfied. I'd estimate punctuality is running at about 20% on Irish Rail commuter routes despite their outlandish back slapping claims of over 95% punctuality.

Sick of the leaves on the track/poor rail conditions nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    How can anyone be satisfied.

Depends on how the question was asked.

Are you satisfied with the variety of public transport options available to you?

Are you satisfied with the public transport available to you?

Advertisement