Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting clamped at Train station

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭M94

I have a solution for you all. Get a motorbike and forget all your worries about parking. The only method of transport that is actually useful in Ireland for now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Some parking enforcement is needed but 125 is too much as others have suggested 60 or 80 would be enough to get message across without breaking the bank.

Basically you miss paying one day and they charge you for 6 months parking.

I guess people will argue it's a deterrent, but even so, I think there should be a difference between forgetting once or twice and constantly abusing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,551 ✭✭✭✭L1011

GM228 wrote: »
    Let me guess, S113 of the Road Traffic Act 1961, the provision most people often incorrectly point to to say private clamping is illegal, it's not that simple.

It's only illegal without lawful authority or reasonable cause, once appropriate warning/signage etc is provided it isn't illegal.

What can be an issue for private claping is the release fee, whilst not illegal, it could be difficult to legally enforcce as the cost to remove a clamp should be relevant to the cost associated with clamping the vehicle.

But all that is irrelevant as private clamping and setting whatever fee on CIE property is legislated for under the Transport Act 1950.

No clamper has ever been willing to go to court to prove they have reasonable cause because of the risk of killing their entire industry in one high enough court judgement. I suspect reasonable cause couldn't be shown either - "the car was blocking something I own, so I made sure it blocked it for longer, your honour..."

Can't imagine you'd be a popular man in an industry full of dodgy characters!

Entire situation is a field of grey and once you can argue solidly enough, they will not risk it

Some train stations have non CIE owned carparks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

L1011 wrote: »
    No clamper has ever been willing to go to court to prove they have reasonable cause because of the risk of killing their entire industry in one high enough court judgement. I suspect reasonable cause couldn't be shown either - "the car was blocking something I own, so I made sure it blocked it for longer, your honour..."

Can't imagine you'd be a popular man in an industry full of dodgy characters!

Entire situation is a field of grey and once you can argue solidly enough, they will not risk it

Some train stations have non CIE owned carparks.

The reasonable cause could be as a result of failure to abide by agreed conditions of a contract under the principles of volenti non fit injuria (i.e a voluntary assumption of risk), something which has already been addressed by the Supreme Court to be lawful when a contract is concerned in Hussey vs Twomey [2009] 3 IR 293.

Whilst not dealing with private clamping per se it made the principles used for private clamping lawful when someone fails to pay for parking and adequate notice (i.e the terms of a contract and the actions for breaking such) is given, although it is uncertain if the signage of terms under a consumer contract qualifies under the ruling as opposed to say a verbal contract. I suspect if it was tested the HC (or ultimately the SC) would clarify it does, especially when the Vehicle Clamping Act 2015 is finally commenced as it will give legislative regulation to private clamping

Issues however could still arise when someone has paid to park and it expires as opposed to someone who failed to pay in the first place, in that case the fee must be reasonable taking into account how much the clamping actually costs to apply etc.

Indeed some car parks are not owned by CIE but the Transport Act 1950 covers lands owned or occupied by CIE.

But no clamping firm is willing to let it be tested - and I assume they've received sufficient legal advice, and separately at that. If they were confident of success I'm sure they'd do it rather than forfeit revenue (and incur costs - clamping, declamping, admin, refunds) consistently.

Take "not owned" to be "not owned or occupied" as in entirely private and merely adjacent and advertised. Nearly wrote occupied but expected issues with that in relation to the idea of operators leasing, etc, etc. People are going to consider clamping there as 'clamping at the train station' even when it does not involve CIE.

Long may the legal greyness continue here - the correct course of a Vehicle Clamping Act should have been to ban it as in Scotland and England & Wales; not allowing it.

But no clamping firm is willing to let it be tested - and I assume they've received sufficient legal advice, and separately at that. If they were confident of success I'm sure they'd do it rather than forfeit revenue (and incur costs - clamping, declamping, admin, refunds) consistently.

Take "not owned" to be "not owned or occupied" as in entirely private and merely adjacent and advertised. Nearly wrote occupied but expected issues with that in relation to the idea of operators leasing, etc, etc. People are going to consider clamping there as 'clamping at the train station' even when it does not involve CIE.

Long may the legal greyness continue here - the correct course of a Vehicle Clamping Act should have been to ban it as in Scotland and England & Wales; not allowing it.

Private clamping is not illegal per se in England and Wales, just Scotland, it's legal with lawful authority. It has in fact specifically been tested and ruled to be lawful in England and Wales prior to the Protection of Freedoms Act under the principles of volenti non fit injuria, (due to a legal loophole in the Protectiom of Fredoms Act it still stands apparently due to the common law lawful authority from the Appeals Court-open to correction though), the same principles which have already been ruled to be legal here by our own Supreme Court.

I suspect the only reason why it hasn't specifically been tested here is due to costs and resources, in reality such a test case would be brought by the person clamped not the clampers and there is unlikely to be anyone with the resources to take on such a case to the HC or SC.

In light of the original persuasive judgement in England and Wales and the impending regulation of private clamping under the Vehicle Clamping Act 2015 I think a test case here would confirm it perfectly legal as the principles behind it as already stated have already been tested and confirmed to be legal here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

GM228 wrote:
    I suspect the only reason why it hasn't specifically been tested here is due to costs and resources, in reaity such a test case would be brought by the person clamped not the clampers and there is unlikely to be anyone with the resources to take on such a case to the HC or SC.

This. Not worth the bother and cost for a clamping company.

As the vehicle clamping act was a Varadkar flight of fancy, I'm not entirely sure it will be commenced - ever.

It still stands that clamping firms consistently refund/release rather than go to court. Theorising why doesn't alter that.

As the vehicle clamping act was a Varadkar flight of fancy, I'm not entirely sure it will be commenced - ever.

I believe Shane Ross confirmed only recently in the Dáil that it will be commenced soon pending some background work by the NTA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

stumbled across this thread as got caught out at heuston too , i had my daughter and usually run over to see she gets through the gate as shes only 14.
    Typical this day the train gate wasnt open so was there about 5 minutes , caught between leaving her on her own or running back to the car etc
    €125 , very very very painful esp at this time of year.
    I put an appeal in but dont hold out much hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Typical this day the train gate wasnt open ....

If it's typical for this to happen, why didn't you just pay for some parking?

And 125 is not a large expense for a car owner to face, if anything it's at the low end for costs of unexpected maintenance.

The car park in Heuston is a bit way from the platform. I've seen people just stop in the set down area to do that, what people board etc. Maybe there's a fine their too. I dunno.

And 125 is not a large expense for a car owner to face, if anything it's at the low end for costs of unexpected maintenance.

Usually i pull in and drop her off , you know the platform number and can watch her go through , so happened on that day she had loads of bags and i wanted to help her to the gate.
    suppose in hindsight we should of all went to the car park but usually its set down and drop off , a matter of seconds.

your out of touch if you think the average person can afford €125 for a parking fine!

I think they should ramp up the fines from 50 everytime the same reg gets clamped add another 50. But 125 first time is steep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Clamping cars and excessive charges at CIE car parks must be doing wonders to promote rail travel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Most antagonistic, ignorant post of the thread. Written solely to annoy.
    Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Most antagonistic, ignorant post of the thread. Written solely to annoy.
    Well done.

Indeed. I thought of a reply but if I wrote it down I would be banned. I don't mind paying €125 for essential car MAINTENANCE, expected or unexpected. I do mind paying €125 for a clamping fee which goes nowhere towards maintaining my car or keeping it in good running order.

You're meant to. That's the whole point of a deterrent. "a thing that discourages or is intended to discourage someone from doing something."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

your out of touch if you think the average person can afford €125 for a parking fine!

So what do you do when you get a €200 emergency car repair bill - just don't pay it because "your out of touch if you think the average person can afford €200 for a repair " that doesn't happen in the real world, if you own a car, motorbike, bicycle you budget for unexpected costs so you should always have money to pay a fine.

What your really saying is that you don't want to follow the rules - well tough luck. The rules are there and unless your actively out there doing something to change them stop giving out about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Usually i pull in and drop her off , you know the platform number and can watch her go through , so happened on that day she had loads of bags and i wanted to help her to the gate.
    suppose in hindsight we should of all went to the car park but usually its set down and drop off , a matter of seconds.

I've dropped off and picked up people at Heuston for years now and have seen the parking attendants at work. At busy times they were on patrol all the time and while irksome they usually give a few minutes grace or a "hurry up" grunt before they clamp. There is one lad who is/was stickier than others; chances are that you were gone longer than you felt. Not much comfort but it's a bummer when it happens.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I normally agree with your posts, but if you think 125 isn't a large expense to some people your deluded.

So what do you do when you get a €200 emergency car repair bill - just don't pay it because "your out of touch if you think the average person can afford €200 for a repair " that doesn't happen in the real world, if you own a car, motorbike, bicycle you budget for unexpected costs so you should always have money to pay a fine.

What your really saying is that you don't want to follow the rules - well tough luck. The rules are there and unless your actively out there doing something to change them stop giving out about them

125 is a big parking fine.

Regardless of what repairing a car costs.

I've dropped off and picked up people at Heuston for years now and have seen the parking attendants at work. At busy times they were on patrol all the time and while irksome they usually give a few minutes grace or a "hurry up" grunt before they clamp. There is one lad who is/was stickier than others; chances are that you were gone longer than you felt. Not much comfort but it's a bummer when it happens.

Yeah just one of those things , i do this run a couple of times a month and never a bother , just so happened that she had all the extra luggage and no platform number up so had to walk to the main part of station with her , once there im wondering leave her or run back to car.
    Was sunday and really quiet so said id wait , 5 minutes max.
    In fairness to Heuston i leave the car for a couple of minutes each time and never had a problem , i drive from Belfast so sometimes rush over to the loo but never had a problem.

For drop off etc the car park is too far away , used to be one round the back which was handy for a short wait but they took it away

beauf wrote: »
    You're meant to. That's the whole point of a deterrent. "a thing that discourages or is intended to discourage someone from doing something."

Like being able to afford groceries for the rest of the month?

That is the reality for some people who have to pay out an unexpected €125. Don't say "you can't afford a car then" because that is how close many people are to destitution. The working poor are being penalised enough. A maximum clamping fee of €50 would be enough of a deterrent for most people. It's immoral to extort more than that from people.

I was clamped just after I have paid out €400 in unexpected costs for repair to my car. Paying the €400 was hard but at least I got some tangible benefit for it.

I agree that there should be some penalty for parking illegally but €125 is too much for most people. Those who can afford to pay €125 are in the minority and those who are advocating it are either very rich or shills for companies like NCPS.

I already made the point that the fine is excessive.

Unless the parking is causing extreme difficulty somewhere. Like paying customers can't get parking because of the people parking without paying, or blocking something.

But it seems to be a standard fee around time, where there is no difficulty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Emme wrote: »
    Like being able to afford groceries for the rest of the month?

That is the reality for some people who have to pay out an unexpected €125. Don't say "you can't afford a car then" because that is how close many people are to destitution. The working poor are being penalised enough. A maximum clamping fee of €50 would be enough of a deterrent for most people. It's immoral to extort more than that from people.

I was clamped just after I have paid out €400 in unexpected costs for repair to my car. Paying the €400 was hard but at least I got some tangible benefit for it.

I agree that there should be some penalty for parking illegally but €125 is too much for most people. Those who can afford to pay €125 are in the minority and those who are advocating it are either very rich or shills for companies like NCPS.
    I think the point being made is that as a responsible car owner, you should ideally always have a couple of hundred emergency money to hand. The perceived value of what you spend it on doesn't really come in to it. You're out the money either way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

What the hell has being poor got to do with it ???

If you're not well off you don't need to follow the rules ??

Grow up, pay the bill at the time and quit whining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

In which case, don't park your car illegally..

What the hell has being poor got to do with it ??? - If you're not well off you don't need to follow the rules ?? - Grow up, pay the bill at the time and quit whining.

Maybe they should ramp it up to €1000 then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

what type of person works for these companies.
    A job i would never, ever do.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    I think the point being made is that as a responsible car owner, you should ideally always have a couple of hundred emergency money to hand. The perceived value of what you spend it on doesn't really come in to it. You're out the money either way.

Its not a valid point. If you have a unexpected bill you can't afford, you simply stop driving till you can afford it. (or in Bangernomics ditch the car and buy another) Not being able to afford a contingency fund,
    has nothing to do with being responsible, its about being able to afford a contingency fund.

None of which has got anything to do with how much a parking fine is. Its disproportionate to the situation IMO. €125 is over a half a years tax saver parking at a station. Fines used to be €80 around Dublin. That seems to have increased to €125 in a lot of places now, not just Railway Stations. If that's because its a major problem when fair enough. But if it just to increase profits, then that's a different thing entirely.

None of which negates anyone deliberately flouting the rules.

AnneFrank wrote: »

If we have rules we have to have enforcement of those rules. Unless you want uncontrolled parking chaos everywhere. Its got nothing to do with the people working there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I understand that €125 is a big pill to swallow for people.

If you have already ponied up 400 nicker, and if the 125 is putting you at risk of starving for the month, then you need to avoid parking illegally. It is actually that simple.

AnneFrank wrote: »

A decent person looking for a wage perhaps, if I were unemployed and struggling for a job I'd take one most definately without a second thought.

And what type of person am I, someone who would do such a job? A decent person.

Maybe they should ramp it up to €1000 then.

Suits me.

Suits me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON-7v4qnHP8
    In which case, don't park your car illegally..

I did not intentionally park illegally. I made an error when renewing my park by text and missed a few hours. If the clamper had come a few hours later I would have been fine.

I envy all you people who have never made mistakes and have limitless money. It's different in the real world, I hope you never have to live there :rolleyes:

Actually, not at all.

Just not dumb enough to "forget" to pay a parking ticket. That's free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

€125 is a lot of money. Which is why I always get a ticket, even if it's for a few minutes. Costs much less than the fine and no nasty surprises to come back to!

€125 is a lot of money. Which is why I always get a ticket, even if it's for a few minutes. Costs much less than the fine and no nasty surprises to come back to!
    If we have rules we have to have enforcement of those rules. Unless you want uncontrolled parking chaos everywhere. Its got nothing to do with the people working there.
    Actually, not at all.

Just not dumb enough to "forget" to pay a parking ticket. That's free.

I admit that I was dumb when I forgot to pay my parking for a few hours. I have had a few years of unrelentless stress, personal and family illness and financial problems. This can affect decision making but it has also made me more tolerant of others.

There are certain people who would fit in very well to a totalitarian regime and would take perverse pleasure in enforcing all the draconian rules that go with a police state.

• Advertisement

+1

I admit that I was dumb when I forgot to pay my parking for a few hours. I have had a few years of unrelentless stress, personal and family illness and financial problems. This can affect decision making but it has also made me more tolerant of others.

And judgmental of others, assuming we're all loaded.

And judgmental of others, assuming we're all loaded.

If you don't have a problem paying fine of €125 you are more than likely financially secure.

Those who run the clamping companies deserve to be paid in the misfortunes, illnesses, stresses and sorrows of those they clamp as well as in money. Obviously we can't hand that over with the money but karma can be a b*tch.

If you don't have a problem paying fine of €125 you are more than likely financially secure.

Those who run the clamping companies deserve to be paid in the misfortunes, illnesses, stresses and sorrows of those they clamp as well as in money. Obviously we can't hand that over with the money but karma can be a b*tch.

Oh ffs behave, what sort of world are we living in where if YOU break the rules not only do you not accept the consequences but then go on to wish death and dismemberment on those applying the penalties.

No personal responsibilities in this world.

Oh ffs behave, what sort of world are we living in where if YOU break the rules not only do you not accept the consequences but then go on to wish death and dismemberment on those applying the penalties.

No personal responsibilities in this world.

Indeed. You probably think that people who have lost their homes are entirely responsible for it because they were stupid enough to buy at the top of the market, couldn't hold onto their jobs and bought food for their children instead of paying the mortgage.

I don't wish harm on those applying the clamps, they are only doing a job and jobs aren't easy to come by. I don't wish those at the top of the companies any good. They are overcharging, using bullying tactics to extort money out of people and wrongly clamping people in many cases. They may repay some of those they wrongly clamp but in the meantime those people suffer while they wait to be unclamped.

I missed payment by a few hours because I was distracted and made a mistake. However, not everyone who is clamped is dumb, law-evading, criminal, irresponsible...insert whatever other disparaging word you can think of.

A woman put her VALID parking ticket upside down in her car before rushing off to get a train at 8am. She came back at 6pm to find her car clamped. She had arranged to pick up her children from the childminders at 6.30. The clampers said they would take the clamp off her car in an hour or two. She had to frantically call around family and friends looking for somebody to pick up her children. While she was waiting in the dark carpark she was harrassed by local youths. All because she had put her VALID ticket upsidedown!

A woman, her children and the kind person who collected her children suffered because a clamp happy employee didn't bother to check that her ticket was valid. I'm sure some people here think he was a very efficient employee and will deserve any bonus he gets from the clamping company. Hopefully he will have enough money to buy himself a pair of new jackboots. Now I have invoked Godwin's law!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

A woman put her VALID parking ticket upside down in her car before rushing off to get a train at 8am. She came back at 6pm to find her car clamped. She had arranged to pick up her children from the childminders at 6.30. The clampers said they would take the clamp off her car in an hour or two. She had to frantically call around family and friends looking for somebody to pick up her children. While she was waiting in the dark carpark she was harrassed by local youths. All because she had put her VALID ticket upsidedown!
    it doesn't matter if the ticket is valid if all it looks like on the dash is a blank piece of paper. otherwise everyone would be doing this.

you don't mention, but i assume she was released without charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Do you mean upsidedown as in the text was upsidedown? Or the ticket was placed text side down meaning that the clamper had no way of knowing it was a ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Jem72

There are certain people who would fit in very well to a totalitarian regime and would take perverse pleasure in enforcing all the draconian rules that go with a police state.

For God's sake, we're talking about parking fines, not rounding up the intellectuals here. Have the people complaining about getting punished for illegal parking ever considered things from the perspective of those who pay their way and don't park their car so that emergency access is compromised?

So far in my life I've managed to avoid ever getting a parking ticket by using this one weird trick - I always pay my parking fees. The vast majority of people who get clamped haven't and the odd one who gets clamped in error is like the rest of us - paying the price for those who will not pay their way.

There is no way that somebody would be clamped for putting their ticket on the dashboard with the text visible but upside down. How do I know this? - because I did this myself hundreds of times. I've also left my ticket on the dashboard amid dozens of other tickets as a protest back when the they first started charging until I got tired of the mess in my car. Again, never been clamped. The common thread here - I paid for my ticket and it was visible on the dashboard.

In terms of the fine level, 125 euro would not even cover the cost of sending out a van twice with two men for what could be a 2 to 3 hour round trip to clamp and declamp an offender.

The only reasonable complaint in this thread is that Irish Rail should have an hourly option (or a defined grace period extendable for delayed trains) for those who are picking up or dropping off - 4.50 is a little steep for this.

Indeed. You probably think that people who have lost their homes are entirely responsible for it because they were stupid enough to buy at the top of the market, couldn't hold onto their jobs and bought food for their children instead of paying the mortgage.

Not so. That wasn't a mistake, not even poor judgement - no one knew the crash was coming surely!

I DO think anyone who does sod all about dealing with the banks and mortgage companies, buries their head in the sand, calls Joe D and then gets some muppet from the "New Land League" or whatever they are called - is stupid!!!!

Jem72 wrote: »
    ...In terms of the fine level, 125 euro would not even cover the cost of sending out a van twice with two men for what could be a 2 to 3 hour round trip to clamp and declamp an offender.

They don't do this. They tend to clamp an an area at a time.
    Jem72 wrote: »
    The only reasonable complaint in this thread is that Irish Rail should have an hourly option (or a defined grace period extendable for delayed trains) for those who are picking up or dropping off - 4.50 is a little steep for this.

125 is teeny bit steeper!

If you use the car park a lot, the odd of forgetting a couple of times especially if you pay per week or month is quite high. To Err is Human. But if you have a record of paying it, an appeal might be successful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

A woman, her children and the kind person who collected her children suffered because a clamp happy employee didn't bother to check that her ticket was valid. I'm sure some people here think he was a very efficient employee and will deserve any bonus he gets from the clamping company. Hopefully he will have enough money to buy himself a pair of new jackboots. Now I have invoked Godwin's law!!!

I assume by 'upside down' we're talking about face down so it wasn't possible for parking enforcement to check it's validity.

All the rest is irrelevant to be honest.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement