Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting clamped at Train station

Options
  • 23-11-2016 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭

My other half recently had to go to Dublin from Kildare for a days work experience which she wasn't getting paid for.. anyway she was getting the 8.15 train and was rushing as usual & never got a parking ticket for her car in the station... ?( She totally forgot) but I picked her up on her way home as I commute daily but leave early as she had to get kids ready for school etc..

but as we returned to her car it was clamped, she was obviously raging, she even bawled crying (thinking how she could be so stupid etc) she was wrecked also which didnt help matters. look I know mistakes happen & yes it was totally her fault etc.. but on ringing the no it was €125 to get the clamp released!!! pure ex-torsion!! you cant even talk to anyone as its an automatic service and on paying you have to wait up to 2 hours to be released..

Seriously no wonder people dont use public transport not only is it dear, You have to pay for fare + parking and you forget and your penalised heavily for it! what a fcuking joke!!
    Its €80 if you get clamped in the city centre! totally put me off ever getting the train no matter how bad traffic is!

Seriously how can they get away with it??
    By the way I know its a separate company N.C.P.S or something..

Rant over

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

benny79 wrote: »
    My other half recently had to go to Dublin from Kildare for a days work experience which she wasn't getting paid for.. anyway she was getting the 8.15 train and was rushing as usual & never got a parking ticket for her car in the station... ?( She totally forgot) but I picked her up on her way home as I commute daily but leave early as she had to get kids ready for school etc..

but as we returned to her car it was clamped, she was obviously raging, she even bawled crying (thinking how she could be so stupid etc) she was wrecked also which didnt help matters. look I know mistakes happen & yes it was totally her fault etc.. but on ringing the no it was €125 to get the clamp released!!! pure ex-torsion!! you cant even talk to anyone as its an automatic service and on paying you have to wait up to 2 hours to be released..

Seriously no wonder people dont use public transport not only is it dear, You have to pay for fare + parking and you forget and your penalised heavily for it! what a fcuking joke!!
    Its €80 if you get clamped in the city centre! totally put me off ever getting the train no matter how bad traffic is!

Seriously how can they get away with it??
    By the way I know its a separate company N.C.P.S or something..

Rant over

I thought there was a €100 limit to clamping...
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/new-law-will-limit-clamping-charge-to-100-35138980.html

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Liam_D

1762223.main_image.jpg?strip=all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

Its N.C.P.S. Their tactics put Ireland's top criminal familiies in the shade. OK people should pay to park but it's easy to forget. I got clamped because I made a mistake with the parkbytext app and I wasn't covered for 3 hours. The b*****s clamped me!

€125 is too much to release a clamp from a car. €50 or 60 would be more than enough and fairer on people who are already paying to travel on the train. Clamping fees were supposed to be capped at €100 but the legislation hasn't yet been enforced.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/clamping-law-having-no-impact-on-fees-34953636.html

I know of a woman who was clamped by N.C.P.S. for displaying her ticket upside down. Another person's ticket fell onto the floor and they were clamped. In some cases the release fee is refunded but people are still inconvenienced by the clamp and wait for release. People have to rearrange childminders because of clamping. People waiting alone in dark car parks have been harrassed while waiting for the clamp to be taken off their car.

There is a special corner of hell reserved for the top brass of N.C.P.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

How likely is someone to remember to pay for parking after a €125 clamp release fee versus a €60 fee?

How likely is someone to remember to pay for parking after a €125 clamp release fee versus a €60 fee?

They'll still remember to pay but a €125 fee is beyond the reach of many people. It could put some into a position where they can't afford the basics for the month. That's the reality for many working poor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭benny79

Emme wrote: »
    They'll still remember to pay but a €125 fee is beyond the reach of many people. It could put some into a position where they can't afford the basics for the month. That's the reality for many working poor.

Totally agree ... Even €80 is dear but over a €100 is madness...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭skeogh82

While I agree the fee is extortionate they do cover the car parks in signs about paying for parking so its kinda hard to miss.

It irritates me more that i pay for parking in a car park that is not maintained whatsoever. Clontarf Road has incredibly poor lighting and drainage and in the first half of the carpark there are no more lines which means people end up parking arseways. If they only repainted the lines they would probably get another 3/4 cars a day which is an extra €3k a year (ish) - it would pay for itself in no time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Roadhawk wrote: »

Law never commenced. I prefer it as it is - clamping is so grey area illegal without it that the rare times its happened I've always been refunded.

L1011 wrote: »
    Law never commenced. I prefer it as it is - clamping is so grey area illegal without it that the rare times its happened I've always been refunded.

Either you are a lawyer or you own a parking company. The law would protect people who use car parks and prevent parking companies from gouging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

skeogh82 wrote: »
    While I agree the fee is extortionate they do cover the car parks in signs about paying for parking so its kinda hard to miss.

They are also not regulated. They could clamp every car in a carpark with or without a ticket and you have no recourse. If you dont agree with their clamping, you can appeal it to a 'third party'

Here is an interesting link on the 'third party'

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056321909

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Private clamping isn't illegal on private property, it's just not regulated by legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Well then they should remember to pay for their parking, or get rid of the car.

Adulting really isn't that difficult.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Seriously no wonder people dont use public transport not only is it dear

What has this got to do with public transport?

I agree the fee is steep (and I've been done a couple of times myself), but it's far from specific to public transport car parks. It's a fairly standard release fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,580 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They can charge €500 or €50k if they want, there's no limit in this country as to what can be charged. They can also employ rapists, murderers, kidnappers, ex prisoners to apply clamps there's no official required vetting or licencing process for employees whatsoever in this country for someone who clamps your car and as a result leaves you stranded and vulnerable to all sorts waiting for the clamp to be released.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/act/13/enacted/en/html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

GM228 wrote: »
    Private clamping isn't illegal on private property, it's just not regulated by legislation.

Interfering with vehicles is illegal, though, even on private property.

Either you are a lawyer or you own a parking company. The law would protect people who use car parks and prevent parking companies from gouging.

Neither - I'm just able to state my case solidly

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭skeogh82

If they post the terms and conditions of parking on the big sign outside, and you comply with said terms how can they clamp you?

they once clamped me in error - I was using the annual parking ticket and i changed my car and i had rung and changed the registration on the ticket, and had an email confirmation of same - but the guy checking cars his system hadnt updated.

It was simple to fix, I rang, they saw that the details had changed so they released the clamp. No big deal.

Interfering with vehicles is illegal, though, even on private property.

Let me guess, S113 of the Road Traffic Act 1961, the provision most people often incorrectly point to to say private clamping is illegal, it's not that simple.

It's only illegal without lawful authority or reasonable cause, once appropriate warning/signage etc is provided it isn't illegal.

What can be an issue for private claping is the release fee, whilst not illegal, it could be difficult to legally enforcce as the cost to remove a clamp should be relevant to the cost associated with clamping the vehicle.

But all that is irrelevant as private clamping and setting whatever fee on CIE property is legislated for under the Transport Act 1950.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

It's a stinger, I've been using park by text for the last 5 years. Was 4 cents short of the customary reminder for the month they text you. I was in work an hour, dawned on me that my month was coming to an end.

Missus checked on the car for me, boom clamped. €125 sucks, it'll never happen again though.

cdeb wrote: »
    What has this got to do with public transport?

I agree the fee is steep (and I've been done a couple of times myself), but it's far from specific to public transport car parks. It's a fairly standard release fee.

Eh cause it was the car park of the Train station taught that was obvious...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I'm fairly sure the fee is actually set by Irish Rail not NCPS as NCPS charge different amounts depending where they are clamping.

Some parking enforcement is needed but 125 is too much as others have suggested 60 or 80 would be enough to get message across without breaking the bank.

Seeing as how this thread is about clamping at a train station it's also worth pointing out that even when the Vehicle Clamping Act 2015 is commenced it won't have any relevance to train stations in relation to the fees as property owned or occupied by CIE are exempt.

Well then they should remember to pay for their parking, or get rid of the car.

Adulting really isn't that difficult.

I hope life is always this simple for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Its not nice getting clamped but perhaps a lesson learnt the hard way .

One line from your comment stood out ,"was rushing as usual & never got a parking ticket for her car in the station".

Mr.Frame wrote: »

One line from your comment stood out ,"was rushing as usual & never got a parking ticket for her car in the station".

Yeah she's a women they all rush:D but she would use the train often it was just she had to do a work thing in Dublin (she knows its totally her fault) she or me just couldnt get over the price! she had to borrow for food for the week..

Yes she wont do it again, but if it was €60 or €80 she wouldn't do it again ..but the €125 caused her great upset as she knew she would go without hence having to burrow... we're not in the celtic tiger anymore €125 is a lot of money..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Mr.Frame wrote: »

What lesson is that exactly? There are hundreds of people wrongly clamped each year and they have no recourse as private clamping companies are unregulated. Is the lesson don't own a car or use any privately owned car parks?

Eh cause it was the car park of the Train station taught that was obvious...
    That it was in a train station is irrelevant here.

I got clamped in a hotel car park once, but it'd be equally silly to say "That's why people don't go to hotels any more"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Kitsunegari

Firstly, Irish Rail set the rates; NCPS, just enforce and collect. The reason why clamping is so prevalent in Ireland is because of the various issues that have arose in areas and town lands where there is no parking enforcement such. I know my local station does it as previously opportunists would abandon their cars for days, members from the travelling community set up 'home' and people not using the rail services would use the car park leaving very little spaces for actual rail users.

I don't agree with the high fines and that's an issue for Irish Rail but clamping and parking enforcement is a necessary evil IMO.

Fair enough if Irish Rail set the rates, but I think €125 is still a fairly standard release fee?

I've been clamped twice - once in a hotel car park, once in a car park in an industrial estate. Both times the release fee was €125.

I agree with your post overall alright.

• Advertisement

cdeb wrote: »
    That it was in a train station is irrelevant here.

I got clamped in a hotel car park once, but it'd be equally silly to say "That's why people don't go to hotels any more"[/QUOTE

Where you staying in the hotel? If so I would of running a muck.. and yes I wouldn't stay in that hotel again... Train is different, its 1 company and there's no competition... and you are paying way too much for public transport in this country for a very poor service but that's another days debate..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement