Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting clamped at Train station

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 393 ✭✭Mortpourvelo

Emme wrote: »
    I admit that I was dumb when I forgot to pay my parking for a few hours. I have had a few years of unrelentless stress, personal and family illness and financial problems. This can affect decision making but it has also made me more tolerant of others.

And judgmental of others, assuming we're all loaded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Emme

And judgmental of others, assuming we're all loaded.

If you don't have a problem paying fine of €125 you are more than likely financially secure.

Those who run the clamping companies deserve to be paid in the misfortunes, illnesses, stresses and sorrows of those they clamp as well as in money. Obviously we can't hand that over with the money but karma can be a b*tch.

If you don't have a problem paying fine of €125 you are more than likely financially secure.

Those who run the clamping companies deserve to be paid in the misfortunes, illnesses, stresses and sorrows of those they clamp as well as in money. Obviously we can't hand that over with the money but karma can be a b*tch.

Oh ffs behave, what sort of world are we living in where if YOU break the rules not only do you not accept the consequences but then go on to wish death and dismemberment on those applying the penalties.

No personal responsibilities in this world.

Oh ffs behave, what sort of world are we living in where if YOU break the rules not only do you not accept the consequences but then go on to wish death and dismemberment on those applying the penalties.

No personal responsibilities in this world.

Indeed. You probably think that people who have lost their homes are entirely responsible for it because they were stupid enough to buy at the top of the market, couldn't hold onto their jobs and bought food for their children instead of paying the mortgage.

I don't wish harm on those applying the clamps, they are only doing a job and jobs aren't easy to come by. I don't wish those at the top of the companies any good. They are overcharging, using bullying tactics to extort money out of people and wrongly clamping people in many cases. They may repay some of those they wrongly clamp but in the meantime those people suffer while they wait to be unclamped.

I missed payment by a few hours because I was distracted and made a mistake. However, not everyone who is clamped is dumb, law-evading, criminal, irresponsible...insert whatever other disparaging word you can think of.

A woman put her VALID parking ticket upside down in her car before rushing off to get a train at 8am. She came back at 6pm to find her car clamped. She had arranged to pick up her children from the childminders at 6.30. The clampers said they would take the clamp off her car in an hour or two. She had to frantically call around family and friends looking for somebody to pick up her children. While she was waiting in the dark carpark she was harrassed by local youths. All because she had put her VALID ticket upsidedown!

A woman, her children and the kind person who collected her children suffered because a clamp happy employee didn't bother to check that her ticket was valid. I'm sure some people here think he was a very efficient employee and will deserve any bonus he gets from the clamping company. Hopefully he will have enough money to buy himself a pair of new jackboots. Now I have invoked Godwin's law!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,154 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

A woman put her VALID parking ticket upside down in her car before rushing off to get a train at 8am. She came back at 6pm to find her car clamped. She had arranged to pick up her children from the childminders at 6.30. The clampers said they would take the clamp off her car in an hour or two. She had to frantically call around family and friends looking for somebody to pick up her children. While she was waiting in the dark carpark she was harrassed by local youths. All because she had put her VALID ticket upsidedown!
    it doesn't matter if the ticket is valid if all it looks like on the dash is a blank piece of paper. otherwise everyone would be doing this.

you don't mention, but i assume she was released without charge?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Do you mean upsidedown as in the text was upsidedown? Or the ticket was placed text side down meaning that the clamper had no way of knowing it was a ticket?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Jem72

There are certain people who would fit in very well to a totalitarian regime and would take perverse pleasure in enforcing all the draconian rules that go with a police state.

For God's sake, we're talking about parking fines, not rounding up the intellectuals here. Have the people complaining about getting punished for illegal parking ever considered things from the perspective of those who pay their way and don't park their car so that emergency access is compromised?

So far in my life I've managed to avoid ever getting a parking ticket by using this one weird trick - I always pay my parking fees. The vast majority of people who get clamped haven't and the odd one who gets clamped in error is like the rest of us - paying the price for those who will not pay their way.

There is no way that somebody would be clamped for putting their ticket on the dashboard with the text visible but upside down. How do I know this? - because I did this myself hundreds of times. I've also left my ticket on the dashboard amid dozens of other tickets as a protest back when the they first started charging until I got tired of the mess in my car. Again, never been clamped. The common thread here - I paid for my ticket and it was visible on the dashboard.

In terms of the fine level, 125 euro would not even cover the cost of sending out a van twice with two men for what could be a 2 to 3 hour round trip to clamp and declamp an offender.

The only reasonable complaint in this thread is that Irish Rail should have an hourly option (or a defined grace period extendable for delayed trains) for those who are picking up or dropping off - 4.50 is a little steep for this.

Indeed. You probably think that people who have lost their homes are entirely responsible for it because they were stupid enough to buy at the top of the market, couldn't hold onto their jobs and bought food for their children instead of paying the mortgage.

Not so. That wasn't a mistake, not even poor judgement - no one knew the crash was coming surely!

I DO think anyone who does sod all about dealing with the banks and mortgage companies, buries their head in the sand, calls Joe D and then gets some muppet from the "New Land League" or whatever they are called - is stupid!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Jem72 wrote: »
    ...In terms of the fine level, 125 euro would not even cover the cost of sending out a van twice with two men for what could be a 2 to 3 hour round trip to clamp and declamp an offender.

They don't do this. They tend to clamp an an area at a time.
    The only reasonable complaint in this thread is that Irish Rail should have an hourly option (or a defined grace period extendable for delayed trains) for those who are picking up or dropping off - 4.50 is a little steep for this.

125 is teeny bit steeper!

If you use the car park a lot, the odd of forgetting a couple of times especially if you pay per week or month is quite high. To Err is Human. But if you have a record of paying it, an appeal might be successful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

A woman, her children and the kind person who collected her children suffered because a clamp happy employee didn't bother to check that her ticket was valid. I'm sure some people here think he was a very efficient employee and will deserve any bonus he gets from the clamping company. Hopefully he will have enough money to buy himself a pair of new jackboots. Now I have invoked Godwin's law!!!

I assume by 'upside down' we're talking about face down so it wasn't possible for parking enforcement to check it's validity.

All the rest is irrelevant to be honest.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    I assume by 'upside down' we're talking about face down so it wasn't possible for parking enforcement to check it's validity.

All the rest is irrelevant to be honest.

I don't know if it was face down with no text visible or upside down with text visible, it wasn't my ticket. We were both waiting to be unclamped and she was quite upset on account of not being able to get to her children. She did get refunded but still had to arrange for somebody to pick up her children.
    In terms of the fine level, 125 euro would not even cover the cost of sending out a van twice with two men for what could be a 2 to 3 hour round trip to clamp and declamp an offender.

How do you know this? Also if it is so expensive for companies like NCPS to send a van out and pay the driver/clamper how do they afford to cover every area with an NCPS carpark? If it takes the van 1-2 hours to unclamp somebody there aren't that many of them on the road.

How about an option for 5 minutes? :rolleyes:

I don't know if it was face down with no text visible or upside down with text visible, it wasn't my ticket.

So you've no idea whether she has a valid complaint at all?
    We were both waiting to be unclamped and she was quite upset on account of not being able to get to her children. She did get refunded but still had to arrange for somebody to pick up her children.

If it's so expensive to send

It's understandable that she would be upset, most people are when they discover their vehicle has been clamped. Its probably fair to say it would be unreasonable to expect parking enforcement to consider childcare arrangements before doing their job.

So you've no idea whether she has a valid complaint at all?

She got refunded so she must have had a valid complaint.
    It's understandable that she would be upset, most people are when they discover their vehicle has been clamped. Its probably fair to say it would be unreasonable to expect parking enforcement to consider childcare arrangements before doing their job.

And it would be unreasonable to expect parking enforcement to consider a woman left alone in a dark car park waiting hours to be unclamped and at the mercy of every gurrier passing through.

There are too many people on here defending extortionate clamping charges. There's no point in arguing with shills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

There's a fierce bang of smug self righteousness from some posters on this thread. :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

I don't know if it was face down with no text visible or upside down with text visible,

So you've no clue about the specifics of the case but decided to go on a bit of a rant about it anyway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

I wonder how happy most posters would be arriving at a train station eith no parking enforcement and finding all the spaces taken?

Of course there'd be much wailing and gnashing of teeth at the unfairness of it all.

Irish people are very happy to have an enforcement policy enacted to ensure there's availability of parking, just so long as this policy never negatively impacts on them.

She got refunded so she must have had a valid complaint.

Or she managed to prove she had paid for parking and they refunded on a discretionary basis. You really can't assume either way.
    And it would be unreasonable to expect parking enforcement to consider a woman left alone in a dark car park waiting hours to be unclamped and at the mercy of every gurrier passing through..

Two bizarre suggestions here.
    1) women should be subject to different parking rules
    2) parking enforcement should be able to determine the gender of somebody who is not present.
    There are too many people on here defending extortionate clamping charges. There's no point in arguing with shills.

If you think somebody is a shill you should report the post otherwise it looks like you're just ranting at people that disagree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

There are certain people who would fit in very well to a totalitarian regime and would take perverse pleasure in enforcing all the draconian rules that go with a police state.

Really? Because I actually get tickets in pay and display car parks to avoid a large fine that means I want to live in a totalitarian regime? I'm not pro car clamping it's just that if you don't want a fine, get a ticket. They've made it pretty clear that's what the deal is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

I reckon the people who get clamped are the same people who incur Ryanair's boarding card fees and the like.

The rules are there to be read and followed but obviously only apply to other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    Irish people are very happy to have an enforcement policy enacted to ensure there's availability of parking, just so long as this policy never negatively impacts on them.

Enforcement doesn't mean there will be parking available. It could simply be full. Indeed its says this on the park by text.
    Using the pre-pay facility does not guarantee a parking
    space in the required location.

Especially if they clamp a car in situ, blocking the space for hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

And I think everyone has hammered home their point repeatedly by now...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement