Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest Ever Live Musical Performance...

• 16-02-2020 2:26am

I ****ing love this original airing of Johnny Cash singing one of his most icon songs and one of the best ever written.

What are some of yer's?

The over-35, skinny jean wearin', Converse wearin', "I loved the Kings of Leon before Sex on Fire", gig goin', Arctic Monkey crowd may not apply.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,203 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

George Michael's unplugged MTV set was pretty phenomenal

Plenty of iconic Freddie Mercury performances, Donny Hathaway doing Jealous Guy.

Im just posting here to remind myself to post here tomorrow with some actual clips

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ever since I posted one of their videos in the disturbing music video thread a few days back I've been on a bit of a Nine Inch Nails reacquaintence.

Their performance at Woodstock '94 is pretty unreal. Even the intro music gives me chills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,221 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

In my opinion it has to be Riverdance, that first live performance was off the charts amazing.
    Not just the dance, but the hauntingly beautiful music too, especially at the beginning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

MTV had a concert with David Bowie back in the mid to late 90’s, he done a great version of All the Young Dudes.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZCZ_qLOepo
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZCZ_qLOepo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

No video unfortunately but for me it has to be the prodigy at Feile'94. My first concert. Went cause they were the ones I wanted to see. My first time pissed. I was slightly underage at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Queen at Live Aid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,452 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Iron Maiden..Long beach arena 1984. An amazing band who are actually even better live.
    Cinderella and Bonjovi at the Moscow peace festival in 89.
    And Queen at Live Aid..they completely stole the show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

One of the best male vocalists ever and one epic live performance....

https://youtu.be/sJifw6Kej2s

Wasn't there but I love this concert. portishead Roseland New York live

https://youtu.be/ZFwnlCudeC0

As for my own:

B B King at The Royal Albert Hall, in 2011
    https://youtu.be/E5_j91FjsXM

Other great concerts:
    Eric Clapton at Royal Albert Hall, in 2015 (came back from China just to see it)

Radiohead, castlebar (i think), in 1996

U2, Slane, in 2001

The Waterboys, (can't remember where) in 1997

Leonard Cohen, Dublin, in 2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Pink Floyd at Pompeii has to be one of the most iconic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Melodeon

It's 'only' a cover, but, Heart's performance of Stairway to Heaven:

At a Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbott concert in Cork Opera House, the sound system was on the blink. While it was being worked on, Paul and Jacqui stood at the front of the stage with the rest of their band and sang Caravan Of Love a capella. Spine tinglingly brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Wasn't there but I love this concert. portishead Roseland New York live

https://youtu.be/ZFwnlCudeC0

As for my own:

B B King at The Royal Albert Hall, in 2011
    https://youtu.be/E5_j91FjsXM

Other great concerts:
    Eric Clapton at Royal Albert Hall, in 2015 (came back from China just to see it)

Radiohead, castlebar (i think), in 1996

U2, Slane, in 2001

The Waterboys, (can't remember where) in 1997

Leonard Cohen, Dublin, in 2013

Radiohead was actually in the pitch of a local GAA club in Galway - Castlegar. Great gig. Branded as "The Big Day Out"

And U2 in Slane was amazing. I regularly watch the footage on YouTube of All I Want Is You rolling into Where The Streets Have No Name. Incidentally, I'm of the opinion that WTSHNN is the greatest live song ever.

Radiohead was actually in the pitch of a local GAA club in Galway - Castlegar. Great gig. Branded as "The Big Day Out"

Yup. I was at college in Sligo. Bus ride to the concert. Great fun.
    And U2 in Slane was amazing. I regularly watch the footage on YouTube of All I Want Is You rolling into Where The Streets Have No Name. Incidentally, I'm of the opinion that WTSHNN is the greatest live song ever.

TBH I was off my head for most of the concert, and only vaguely remember the songs themselves. I do remember the energy and positive attitude of everyone there. It's a great memory.

Melodeon wrote: »
    It's 'only' a cover, but, Heart's performance of Stairway to Heaven:

This was what I was going to post myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Queen at Live Aid

Queen at Wembley

They're the obvious two.

For gigs I've been at, Radiohead on the In Rainbows tour in Old Trafford Cricket Ground in Manchester.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Stop Making senses used listened to this for months after first hearing it all those years back and still do on occasion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Nirvana mtv unplugged

I was at U2 in slane 2001, thought it was just OK, preferred popmart 1997 in landsdowne Road

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Runrig, excellent live band

The colours of Scotland leave you young inside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Stop Making senses used listened to this for months after first hearing it all those years back and still do on occasion.

The greatest live album of all time imo. Going to see the film in the cinema is great fun too. I saw it years ago when it was on in the Ambassador at the top of O'Connell Street. These days The Lighthouse have it on occasionally.

And in a similar vein, David Byrne's American Utopia show is the most incredible musical spectacle I've ever witnessed. It's him on stage with a large band, but nothing else, no mics, amps, drum risers, etc., just a bare stage that the band leave and enter at various times. The choreography is incredible, it's like nothing I've ever seen at a gig before. This is a sample, the sound is only OK, but the video is better than most others I've seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

B.B. King ‘Live at the Regal’.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

my karaoke Careless Whisper

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    I was at U2 in slane 2001, thought it was just OK, preferred popmart 1997 in landsdowne Road

I was there too. Have to confess as a show Popmart was amazing but as a memorable occasion Slane was pretty special.

Also, I hope that at some stage in the future Oasis live at Knebworth will be released on DVD/download.

I was there too. Have to confess as a show Popmart was amazing but as a memorable occasion Slane was pretty special.

Also, I hope that at some stage in the future Oasis live at Knebworth will be released on DVD/download.

Been told by severals that Zoo Tv ( early nineties) was even better than either?

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Been told by severals that Zoo Tv ( early nineties) was even better than either?

Ye, I heard the same. I was too young for Zoo TV though, only 11 or 12.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Who remembers when beck brought the midnite vultures tour to the fairyhouse racecourse. Big fun, was like a white jewish james brown busting out all over the set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,018 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Bobblehats wrote: »
    Who remembers when beck brought the midnite vultures tour to the fairyhouse racecourse. Big fun, was like a white jewish james brown busting out all over the set

Thought he was a Scientologist?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Thought he was a Scientologist?

Don’t know what he is. And man thing on the keyboards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

This. Everyday this.

If you're not familiar with STP and the late Scott Weiland do yourself a favour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I said it before and I'll say it again, Iggy Pop & the Stooges at Electric Picnic 2007. There is no clips from this gig but the next best thing is their performance from Glastonbury from the same year.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,895 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Please give me your opinion on something.
    However if your opinion is not similar to mine then don’t bother posting as I just want my own opinion reaffirmed

https://youtu.be/In4fw0-4Zrs

im no huge folk fan

and andy irvines voice isnt for everyone

but what these four men make happen on the late late (in black and white!) is absolutely sensational

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Gallagher was amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭the.red.baron

Prince George Harrison tribute

Where'd the guitar go

Close thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Ipso wrote: »
    MTV had a concert with David Bowie back in the mid to late 90’s, he done a great version of All the Young Dudes.

He wrote that song himself....but it was a hit for "Mott The Hoople in 1972

Great song...great performance by Bowie

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

I once saw an all-female Japanese band called The ZZZs in concert who were excellent. Sadly, they seem to have disappeared.

For everybody interested in music, check out this thing I'm running. I need contributions to make it happen.

Boardsies decide greatest music album of all-time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

My first answer would have been the Prince half time Superbowl show as well, but that's been said. So...

I found Pink Floyd Live8 set (above) in 2005 to be really moving at the time and on any rewatch. Whenever those Gilmour solo's reach their peak, I get just a bit choked up. It just seems such a waste that these guys have spent decades not talking, when that band was clearly meant to be!

Also, given the limited time to agree a reunion set and practice it..it's a really good performance. See Led Zep in Live Aid as an example of how this can go badly wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Guns n Roses Live at the Ritz 1988

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,933 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Van Morrison's double live album Too Late To Stop Now. Never surpassed.

druss wrote: »
    My first answer would have been the Prince half time Superbowl show as well, but that's been said. So...

I found Pink Floyd Live8 set (above) in 2005 to be really moving at the time and on any rewatch. Whenever those Gilmour solo's reach their peak, I get just a bit choked up. It just seems such a waste that these guys have spent decades not talking, when that band was clearly meant to be!

Also, given the limited time to agree a reunion set and practice it..it's a really good performance. See Led Zep in Live Aid as an example of how this can go badly wrong.

Was only watching some of that again last night. I always hated Money but they do some job on Comfortably Numb at the end. Was class seeing them together at the time and sounding so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Was only watching some of that again last night. I always hated Money but they do some job on Comfortably Numb at the end. Was class seeing them together at the time and sounding so good.

Not a huge fan of "Money" either, but I can see the logic of playing it at that show. And it is redeemed by the solo. :)

I also agree with Gilmour refusing to play "Another Brick in the Wall" at Live8. Wrong message for sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

This Rage Against The Machine gig looks like it was an amazing experience judging by this song.

And this song in Vicar Street from a great funk band called Vulfpeck. The crowd make it and I would have loved to have been there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement