Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Pangea wrote: »
    Meteo times and Im outside the yellow line :(

UAzRul.jpg

Sorry Pangea... i should of been more thoughtful ...

You can still hope :)
    236680.jpg

http://www.meteotimes.net/2013/01/something-wintry-this-way-comes-ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

UK Met Office just issued an Amber Warning for Northern Ireland.
    Amber Warning of Snow18 Jan 2013, 12:00
    Amber Warning of Snow

Valid From: 18 Jan 2013, 12:00
    Valid To: 19 Jan 2013, 09:00
    Issued at - 17 Jan 2013, 12:48
    Valid from - 18 Jan 2013, 12:00
    Valid to - 19 Jan 2013, 09:00

Rain will turn increasingly to sleet and then snow at all levels across Northern Ireland during the course of Friday afternoon and evening, with some placing receiving accumulations of 5-10 cm of snow overnight into Saturday and as much as 15-20 cm above 200 metres, with drifting in the strengthening east to northeasterly winds.

The public should be prepared for travel disruption.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

fontenoy7 wrote: »
    There were major freezes in the east in 2009, 2010 with massive snowfall for Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford areas although not for the South east in 2010.

There was major snowfall in Dublin for a week in 2008 as well. I am not being smart here but there was no major snowfall at low levels in the South during this period..a couple of days after Christmas.

I think people get the picture already, nearly every one of your posts talks about snow in Dublin and Wicklow!

Not a lot of point looking at the likes of GFS for tomorrow, high res models should have the specifics more accurate, I've always found NAE unreliable for rainfall projections but seems its the best available now the Hirlam models aren't available anymore. Coamps on weatheronline seems to have a very high res but can't say I've ever used it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

BBC giving snow for full east coast from early tomorrow. (8am) Donegal getting it most of the day :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

236685.jpg

Upgrades continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Well I can confirm the wind has started to pick up in Cork. I await with bated breath the arrival of the rain, here is hoping that it turns to snow further up the country and then returns back to us with snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Harps wrote: »
    I think people get the picture already, nearly every one of your posts talks about snow in Dublin and Wicklow!

Not a lot of point looking at the likes of GFS for tomorrow, high res models should have the specifics more accurate, I've always found NAE unreliable for rainfall projections but seems its the best available now the Hirlam models aren't available anymore. Coamps on weatheronline seems to have a very high res but can't say I've ever used it

True, when other areas did get a lot of snow, including the south east as I know only too well!!!
    Same for some in other areas of the country, Cavan comes to mind with that huge fall of snow in March 2010.
    Beats anything elsewhere from the pictures I saw of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Never been so happy to see this!!!! Who's coming snow chasing tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

The Met O have a Be Prepared warning for the North

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

hi guys,is it possible for anything to happen today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

diceyd wrote: »
    hi guys,is it possible for anything to happen today?

No.

Never been so happy to see this!!!! Who's coming snow chasing tomorrow?

I will be very jealous of you tomorrow. :D UK Met Office going for up to 10cm at lower levels there tomorrow, and they are usually on the conservative side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,543 ✭✭✭kingshankly

With all the rain forecast tonight it will be hard for any snow to stick

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Iancar29 wrote: »
    236680.jpg

For people hoping for widespread snowmageddon in the next 24 hours, I'd say this map pretty much sums up well what is more likely to happen, based on current models.

As anxious as I am to see snow....what makes me more anxious (well not really) is the prospects of posts tomorrow say the likes of 'you told us it was going to snow', etc., etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Warning for Saturday and Sunday too
    http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/ni/ni_forecast_warnings.html?day=2
    Iancar29 wrote: »
    Sorry Pangea... i should of been more thoughtful ...

[/url]

Thats better :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

UKWx-201301180000.jpg

UKWx-201301180300.jpg

UKWx-201301180600.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭ThreeLineWhip

I am dissapointed with nothing for the midlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭SnowDrifts

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings/#?tab=map&map=Warnings&fcTime=1358337660&zoom=5&lon=-4.50&lat=55.74

20-30cm for parts of Wales on Friday. Impressive. I will report how much the Wicklow Mountains get tomorrow evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Looks like I might have some fun getting to work tomorrow. The bus might not make it over the Glenshane :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I will be very jealous of you tomorrow. :D UK Met Office going for up to 10cm at lower levels there tomorrow, and they are usually on the conservative side.

My door is open to everyone who wants to come up for the weekend lol

I'll have plenty of video footage and pictures :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

That Sky News graph is showing 3 to 4 Celsius over much of Ireland.

Does that not seem a bit warm for snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

compsys wrote: »

I think it's the dew point temperature that is more important. I saw a snow shower pass through Dublin last weekend and I think it was 5 degrees

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Just made it yay bring on the white stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,127 ✭✭✭pad199207

Looks like a higher elevation show tomo :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Id listen to our own met rather than sky news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

pad199207 wrote: »
    Looks like a higher elevation show tomo :(

Except it seems in parts of the north and east. Could well be snow at lower levels too. Will be interesting to see model updates later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭compsys

I think it's the dew point temperature that is more important. I saw a snow shower pass through Dublin last weekend and I think it was 5 degrees

Yeah, I realise there's more factors to take into account for snow that simply the temperature (dew point, dam line, intensity of precipitation, on-shore breezes etc.)

However, I still would have thought that in most circumstances a temp of 2 or 3 degrees max is what is bearable for half-decent snow.

compsys wrote: »

You can get snow at 4c as long as dp temp isn't above freezing. Not likely to accumulate though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

They look like max temperatures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Harps wrote: »

Estonian HIRLAM. Very good, have seen it forecast individual showers before!

http://www.emhi.ee/index.php?ide=19,394,416,418

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement