Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cold Spell Discussion (Ireland): Cold/Frosty/Icy with Snow for some

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

This is on the I phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

You can see the rain starting to hit the south coast on the radar now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

whitebriar wrote: »
    And there in lies the problem.
    people forget that -6 air from the atlantic means rain as the warm ocean track will modify dewpoints from zero to 1000ft above sea level.

You need minus 10 uppers to guarantee snow from the west [that has happened eg a few xmas's ago when a northerly feed down the mid atlantic returned to Ireland as a false south westerly!]

Whereas when air is from the east,do you see,it can come in fast enough with a small enough water track (60 miles as opposed to a 1000 miles) in such a way as to even displace irish Positive sea dewpoints with negative ones courtesy of a frozen continent/ cold north sea and most importantly a cold Britain,minus 11 in Norfolk this morning in snow fields with very neg dp's,which after tomorrow will be similar over most of England and wales meaning increasingly neg dewpoints there etc

Hey White Briar, didn't MT seem to suggest last night though that -5's would do for the present westerly fronts so long as dam was sub 528?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭jo06555

t|nt|n wrote: »
    You can see the rain starting to hit the south coast on the radar now
    Any sign of cold front coming south east too??? ;) would love if irl was in perfect spot for a covering of snow!!! How come the whole of uk were but with irl its allways just northern parts ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

Hey White Briar, didn't MT seem to suggest last night though that -5's would do for the present westerly fronts so long as dam was sub 528?

He was talking about the systems from the west dragging in the cold air from our east, possibly over a snow covered Britain.

-5 uppers with air sourced from the west wouldn't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Can I ask a really ignorant question, as I know zero about weather.

I live in Dublin city, what are the chances over next few days that we will have snow of any worth?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

:D:D

I can't help but singing it this morning.Come on you bustard and SNOW.
    Love it:D:D:D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Chong wrote: »

I live in Dublin city, what are the chances over next few days that we will have snow of any worth?

I'm pretty sure we will see some snow over the coming days, as to the worth of it, who knows? It will not be a re-run of 2010.....(yet:)).

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure we will see some snow over the coming days, as to the worth of it, who knows? It will not be a re-run of 2010.....(yet:)).

I think it will be the sticking to grass/cars only kind of wet snow for most of Dublin in the short term. Hope I'm wrong though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

I think upland Dublin and Wicklow will have a snow and lots of it with sleet for the the rest of the East though or wet snow at best. The North east will have more in the way of snow apart from the coast.

I think Dublin city and county will have snow showers on Sunday and Monday though.

Very High areas in the South should do quite well in terms of snow but it will be rain elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Spindle wrote: »

It reminds me of the times when it was raining, the ground would be soaked, then it would start to snow, there was always the, Its snowing followed by ahhh the ground is too wet for it to stick.

Not necessarily, I said the same thing a few years ago, the ground was very wet and it started to snow and got colder and colder and it stuck and the snow that day was very heavy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Yes it is looking a mix of rain and snow at the moment
    Very dangerous roads though with ice being a factor.
    In ways maybe more enjoyable than a big freeze in that we should all see quite a bit of snow falling even if it doesn't stick. More an 80's type event really rather than the extreme big freezes of the 2010

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Pangea wrote: »
    Not necessarily, I said the same thing a few years ago, the ground was very wet and it started to snow and got colder and colder and it stuck and the snow that day was very heavy.

probably depends how heavy the precipitation is. it often happens that it starts off spitting rain and gets heavier turning to snow. I am hoping for heavy stuff coming sunday!

In ways maybe more enjoyable than a big freeze in that we should all see quite a bit of snow falling even if it doesn't stick. More an 80's type event really rather than the extreme big freezes of the 2010

I presume the further inland and higher up one is the better?

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fontenoy7

There were major freezes in the east in 2009, 2010 with massive snowfall for Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford areas although not for the South east in 2010.

There was major snowfall in Dublin for a week in 2008 as well. I am not being smart here but there was no major snowfall at low levels in the South during this period..a couple of days after Christmas.

Personally I'd rather a couple centimeters of snow that will stick around for a few days than 24 hours of wet crap that just teases you melting on the ground.

But yeah, it will work out well for some and will be a pure 80s style for those lucky recipients!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Meteo times and Im outside the yellow line :(

UAzRul.jpg

fontenoy7 wrote: »
    There were major freezes in the east in 2009, 2010 with massive snowfall for Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford areas although not for the South east in 2010.

There was major snowfall in Dublin for a week in 2008 as well. I am not being smart here but there was no major snowfall at low levels in the South during this period..a couple of days after Christmas.

What does that have to do with the price of peanuts? It's 2013 and the setup is completely different!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Anyone no what's wrong with the " let it snow and be cold ramping thread " ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Just a comparison of 850 temps between the global GFS model and the higher resolution regional NAE model, for just 42 hours from now.

Look at Ulster, a difference of 5 degrees at less then 48 hours is huge when the difference between rain and snow is so tight in marginal setups.

GFS on left, NAE on right.

fK9vY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Blizzard 2010

Chong wrote: »

The probabilities are, we will get a pasting. A relatively warm Irish Sea and Bitterly Cold Easterly winds= a load of snow. Initially we will probably start off with rain but that will readily turn to snow as the day goes on as the cold air starts to kick in.;)Your question is not an ignorant one by any means

is that for Friday?

Just a comparison of 850 temps between the global GFS model and the higher resolution regional NAE model, for just 42 hours from now.

Look at Ulster, a difference of 5 degrees at less then 48 hours is huge when the difference between rain and snow is so tight in marginal setups.

The NAE has been trending colder for the past few runs too. 12z will be very interesting.

fK9vY.jpg

How far does that go out Maq? Am i right in saying colder air is filtering west over the weekend? Met Eireann have temperature dropping significantly from Saturday onwards in their forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

UAzRul.jpg
    Talk about knife edge... I'm about 1mm inside the yellow..phew:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

Anyone no what's wrong with the " let it snow and be cold ramping thread " ?

That thread is now closed, there is a new one http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056857548

Lads, that map was out of date 5 minutes after it was created. I wouldn't even look at it.

UK Met Office has a red warning for part of Wales for blizzards & severe drifting.

• Advertisement

How far does that go out Maq? Am i right in saying colder air is filtering west over the weekend? Met Eireann have temperature dropping significantly from Saturday onwards in their forecast?

Only goes out 48 hours.

Hard to know about the weekend yet. Nothing nailed at the moment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement