Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Politics MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I don't know much about this boundary debate or how it compared with other regions so its hard to comment. How is a region a winner or loser? Loss of seats I assume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Sully wrote: »
    I don't know much about this boundary debate or how it compared with other regions so its hard to comment. How is a region a winner or loser? Loss of seats I assume?

Its linked to the merger. *ducks..*.. which is disadvantageous to Waterford compared to our much stronger and more influencial regional competitors.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

On the subject of local rates - a local and national governmental issue is attempted to being addressed by one of our local TDs. I spotted this on Facebook but had heard about it on WLR a number of weeks ago. In short, there is some ancient law that says that if an owner/occupier of a premises closes down or vacates it, and in doing so leaves behind unpaid local authority rates, any new tenant that takes over ownership or occupancy is liable for the tenant’s defaulted rates bill.

Imagine being greeted with that on arrival into your new unit! :eek:

Anyway, he is tabling a bill that would address this and he is asking for councils to put forward motions calling for this bill to be expedited. Cork has so far done so and apparently other councils have agreed to support it.

Its being put forward by Paudie Coffey, Fine Gael TD. That fellow from Portlaw. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

On the subject of local rates - a local and national governmental issue is attempted to being addressed by one of our local TDs. I spotted this on Facebook but had heard about it on WLR a number of weeks ago. In short, there is some ancient law that says that if an owner/occupier of a premises closes down or vacates it, and in doing so leaves behind unpaid local authority rates, any new tenant that takes over ownership or occupancy is liable for the tenant’s defaulted rates bill.

Anyway, he is tabling a bill that would address this and he is asking for councils to put forward motions calling for this bill to be expedited. Cork has so far done so and apparently other councils have agreed to support it.

Its being put forward by Paudie Coffey, Fine Gael TD. That fellow from Portlaw. :p

This post highlights perfectly what is wrong with this thread. There is no distinction between any post as long as a politician or party is mentioned. Therefore the discussion can meander all over the place. Attention is diverted from the inequitable merger to some micky mouse motion Paudie Coffey is tabling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Re: Boundary thing

Surely, the less councillors we have, the better? as they are a overly expensive waste of space, by and large.

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote: »
    Re: Boundary thing

Surely, the less councillors we have, the better? as they are a overly expensive waste of space, by and large.

But we don't have less.Waterford has less. Dublin has more. Galway City has more.Waterford City has none because it is de facto abolished. And its services uniquely in Ireland spread all over the county! You see a pattern emerging yet? I'm all for less councillors,Less TD's and less senators. But this certainly isn't happening here. This is just tinkering. We were promised by FG and all we get is the usual tinkering that they do when they get into government.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭Hijpo

With regards the rates issue, wasnt there proposal put forward in the CoCo that rates be reduced by 3% for SME's making it more affordable to keep trading? The 3% shortfall would then be filled by halving the amount set aside for legal costs and that expenses paid to cllrs be cut by 25% (or something along those lines) Apparently it was defeated by the controlling FG/Lab group.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

So does anyone think our tds are doing a good job?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Wow!
    Waterford FG TD John Deasy saves FF TD John McGuinness at PAC today. Deasy admits govt top brass want to cut John's cttee down to size

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

More career advancement from Deasy.

• Advertisement

People might be interested, all negativity aside..
    The committee on Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation gets going at 1:30pm to deal with a raft of proposals for EU laws, and to discuss an economic development strategy for the south-east. The Waterford City and Kilkenny County Council managers will join at 1:45pm; representatives from Waterford and Carlow IT at 2:45pm, and local farming groups at 3:45pm.

http://www.thejournal.ie/oireachtas-agenda-june-18-954375-Jun2013/

Not sure how the meeting went or who was in attendance but nice to see some recognition of the problem facing the South East being raised at national level a bit more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

People might be interested, all negativity aside..

http://www.thejournal.ie/oireachtas-agenda-june-18-954375-Jun2013/

Not sure how the meeting went or who was in attendance but nice to see some recognition of the problem facing the South East being raised at national level a bit more.

Recession over!

Seriously though all that it will be is more talking just like every single thing that has been done up until now. I'd love to be optimistic but to expect a different outcome than more job losses and business closing down is a dream at this stage.

In the meantime the rates will be shooting up for businesses around the county and city, expect lots of more business closures in the near future.... is anything being done about this, of course not. I know you're trying to be optimistic and I'm not just trying to rain on the parade but Waterford has been collapsing like a heap of dominoes for the last few years... there is lip service paid on an irregular basis and we're meant to be happy. I'll wait until I see improvements and hope to God that these new rates don't come in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

they were down by the port building today, 3 or 4 elderly men and 1 woman.. she approached me with her clipboard: "would you like to sign.." I cut her off straight away "no I would not" and would have stayed for a right auld row with them but for the fact they were old and Id be seen as the thug..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭spookwoman

nice_very wrote: »
    they were down by the port building today, 3 or 4 elderly men and 1 woman.. she approached me with her clipboard: "would you like to sign.." I cut her off straight away "no I would not" and would have stayed for a right auld row with them but for the fact they were old and Id be seen as the thug..

They were reported the other day to the council when at the laneway off arundel square. They hadn't got a permit. Report them to the councils they were probably moved and now set up at the port building.

spookwoman wrote: »
    They were reported the other day to the council when at the laneway off arundel square. They hadn't got a permit. Report them to the councils they were probably moved and now set up at the port building.

Who is responsible for that? I wouldn't have thought it would be enforced tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

I dont agree with a lot of their views or standing around holding up graphic photos while people are trying to go about their business-that being said I wouldnt beleive in banning them from protesting with graphic photos either-or trying to stop thme canvassing with a petition let them- I dont agree with denying free speech to those I dont agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

they get very defensive when it comes to answering questions on whos funding them even more defensive than they do for the unborn it seems.....

I have observed and noticed the name of one of the pro life organisers in waterford whose name I have seen referenced to in some reports is listed as a friend in paudie coffeys friend list on facebook- I have to wonder and question if this pro life organiser is a supporter of fine gael or a fine gael member or just someone who votes fine gael?

Am Chile wrote: »
    I have observed and noticed the name of one of the pro life organisers in waterford whose name I have seen referenced to in some reports is listed as a friend in paudie coffeys friend list on facebook- I have to wonder and question if this pro life organiser is a supporter of fine gael or a fine gael member or just someone who votes fine gael?

I'm sure there is but a lot of the pro life are targeting TDs so it could be that or as simple as a local who is watching what he says/does on facebook while not actually voting for him/party. Not everyone on a politicians friend list is a voter or member!:)

There in town a fair bit but have never targeted me, they tend to target women. Haven't seen them use graphic images either and its generally older folk and the young chap who helps out in the cathedral sometimes. For me, as long as there not pushy or rude than I dont see a problem.

Who is responsible for that? I wouldn't have thought it would be enforced tbh.
    Council does the permits call them to find out. If they don't have one then council refers it to the police and they are notified for them to get them to shut up shop. Was watching them the other day and lad was going back and forth to the enterance to the lane giggling to himself and after about 20 mins went up to them and was there for another 10 mins chatting. Got the impression he was not fully there.
    Think about it they have no permit and are getting personal details off people. data mining. that has to be a breach of something

• Advertisement

Council does the permits call them to find out. If they don't have one then council refers it to the police and they are notified for them to get them to shut up shop. Was watching them the other day and lad was going back and forth to the enterance to the lane giggling to himself and after about 20 mins went up to them and was there for another 10 mins chatting. Got the impression he was not fully there.
    Think about it they have no permit and are getting personal details off people. data mining. that has to be a breach of something

I doubt it. Everybody does it. All the political parties,charities and NGO's in the state.I bought a raffle ticket for Crumlin childrens hospital ten years ago and they are still sending complete books to sell. I got Christmas cards of Dail TD's who obviously got my name of the electoral register. Ditto countless businesses. Having a permit does nothing to change this. If they are protesting a pending government policy then they might not even need a permit.If they are not selling anything then it is simply an issue right of assembly.

I doubt it. Everybody does it. All the political parties,charities and NGO's in the state.I bought a raffle ticket for Crumlin childrens hospital ten years ago and they are still sending complete books to sell. I got Christmas cards of Dail TD's who obviously got my name of the electoral register. Ditto countless businesses. Having a permit does nothing to change this. If they are protesting a pending government policy then they might not even need a permit.If they are not selling anything then it is simply an issue right of assembly.

Doesn't matter they have to have a permit for the stand. People will always try to put up stands etc and until the council is notified they will stay there. They were moved from arundel for that reason.

Doesn't matter they have to have a permit for the stand. People will always try to put up stands etc and until the council is notified they will stay there. They were moved from arundel for that reason.

So have you a problem with the stand? Or is it just a means for you to silence them? I get the impression you're not so concerned with anyone else who sets up shop. Maybe they were permitted to set up a stand in some other part of the town. Maybe the problem was not the stand but restricting access in a narrow laneway which isn't a problem down near Georges street. Either way if it bothers you that much why not just kill two birds with one stone and report them?

So have you a problem with the stand? Or is it just a means for you to silence them? I get the impression you're not so concerned with anyone else who sets up shop. Maybe they were permitted to set up a stand in some other part of the town. Maybe the problem was not the stand but restricting access in a narrow laneway which isn't a problem down near Georges street. Either way if it bothers you that much why not just kill two birds with one stone and report them?

I don't like people who constantly flaunt the rules and tell lies. The same groups put up stalls and posters that should not been seen by children. Theres also the Youth defence poster i heard up by the hospital. Would you like your kids seeing these and asking you questions about abortion. This is no different than handing out leaflets in a school to be brought home to the parents.
    I did report the stall when it was in arundel thats how I know they don't have a permit. If you don't like the fact I reported them i really don't give a hoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

I don't like people who constantly flaunt the rules and tell lies. The same groups put up stalls and posters that should not been seen by children. Theres also the Youth defence poster i heard up by the hospital. Would you like your kids seeing these and asking you questions about abortion. This is no different than handing out leaflets in a school to be brought home to the parents.
    I did report the stall when it was in arundel thats how I know they don't have a permit.

I remember seeing photos of people in concentration camps and victims of wars when I was a child. Should we ban children from seen these things?

What about the Gardaí with the billboard spread showing vicious assaults on two of their members? Should they have been reported?

vbulletina_Billboard_Trim_09-03-09_7x31-1.jpg

BTW, the horrors of slavery were made to hit home by pictures brought back from America shown the horrific treatment and torture of slaves. Should they have been banned too?

If you don't like the fact I reported them i really don't give a hoot.

If the stand was about pro-abortions and they didn't have a permit would you have reported them too?

I did report the stall when it was in arundel thats how I know they don't have a permit. If you don't like the fact I reported them i really don't give a hoot.

Ah yes "the won't somebody please think of the children?" defense. Well the pro-life brigade are doing just that so you have more in common with them then you think. If they are not doing anything illegal regarding literature then there is nothing you can do about it full stop. What you I or anyone else thinks about it is irrelevant. And I don't buy this argument either that it will traumatize children. This is just another gagging tactic. And a shameful one at that. Because what you are doing using children to forward a particular viewpoint or preventing another.The more rational explanation here is there are realities about abortion that you don't like and do not want face up to. If your conviction about abortion is robust enough then these images won't upset you. If they do then the reality for you is that your belief about abortion is on very shaky ground.

Am Chile wrote: »

I have absolutely no faith in Paudie Coffey as a politician. However if one of the pro-life crowd is listed as his friend then so what? It means nothing at all.No offence but this is bordering on ridiculous.

lol come next you''ll be saying abortion causes breast cancer and don't give your children vaccinations because it came from an aborted fetus. Save the sperm! Save the egg! Imagine all those potential lives lost........ :rolleyes:

lol come next you''ll be saying abortion causes breast cancer and don't give your children vaccinations because it came from an aborted fetus. Save the sperm! Save the egg! Imagine all those potential lives lost........ :rolleyes:

Will I be saying that next? And how did you come around to making that ridiculous quantum leap in reasoning? You can't sustain your argument so you have to make up stuff. Says it all really. No body in the pro life movement equates a sperm or an ovum with a fetus. You will find those people in the pro abortion lobby. Or pro choice as they call themselves these days due to their complete lack of moral conviction.

• Advertisement

I copied this photo from a friends facebook timeline- they have one of their anti abortion posters on a pole straight across from john halligans house as of late.

Photo0065-Copy_zps65cf7a5b.jpg

Advertisement