Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shane Ross considering letting drink drivers drive to work..

Options

Comments

amcalester wrote: »
    Me included, still doesn’t mean they should be allowed drive while over the limit.

The issue is the limit is too low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

If you can’t manage to drive after 3 pints you aren’t able to drive in the first place imo. I’ve driven much harder to handle machines than cars after more than 3 pints without difficulty (private land before any accusations are made).

You still don't get it...if you are unaffected by the alcohol then why drink it?
    BUT you are. I don't drink decaffeinated coffee as without the caffeine there isn't much point. People drink alcohol because it has an affect on them, nothing wrong with that, but to claim it has no effect on your driving ability is senseless.

Many people have no option but to drive.

The always have the option of not drinking, despite rumours to the contrary it isn't compulsory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

If you can’t manage to drive after 3 pints you aren’t able to drive in the first place imo. I’ve driven much harder to handle machines than cars after more than 3 pints without difficulty (private land before any accusations are made.

Now come on. Driving a digger in a field is vastly different to driving a car capable of 180 kmh ( which most cars are capable of) on a public road with other members of the public about.

How is it that pub car parks are always full at the weekends? People obviously plan to drive home after a nights drinking. Nothing but scum if I'm honest, risking mowing down their own neighbours on the way home.

Bagging in the morning is new thing none of us gave a second thought to driving the next day up until a few years ago and how often did you hear of any crashes related to drink in the morning? I’ve heard of none anyway.

I've never seen a tornado, doesn't mean they don't exist. Crashes do happen in the mornings.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/christmas-drink-driving-campaign-aimed-at-morning-after-drivers-1.3715130
    Some 11 per cent of fatal collisions in which a driver had consumed alcohol took place between 7am and 11am, according to Garda and Road Safety Authority figures for this year which were released on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,381 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You still don't get it...if you are unaffected by the alcohol then why drink it?
    BUT you are. I don't drink decaffeinated coffee as without the caffeine there isn't much point. People drink alcohol because it has an affect on them, nothing wrong with that, but to claim it has no effect on your driving ability is senseless.

The always have the option of not drinking, despite rumours to the contrary it isn't compulsory.

Many of us drink whiskey, beer, wine etc. for the enjoyment of taste not for any mind altering sensation.

It is possible to enjoy a few glasses of wine as an accompaniment to a meal without any undesirable effect on either your mood or those in your company.

Of course not drinking is the sensible option in many circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If you can’t manage to drive after 3 pints you aren’t able to drive in the first place imo. I’ve driven much harder to handle machines than cars after more than 3 pints without difficulty (private land before any accusations are made).

Many people have no option but to drive. Bagging in the morning is new thing none of us gave a second thought to driving the next day up until a few years ago and how often did you hear of any crashes related to drink in the morning? I’ve heard of none anyway.
    People are involved in incidents every day without alcohol being a factor.
    Do you really think allowing people to drive whilst having alcohol in their system would not have a negative effect?
    As for hearing about crashes in the morning involving alcohol, you don't hear because incidents where alcohol is a factor tend not to be broadcast e.g. is there a media article that shows how many were incidents there were during 2018 that involved alcohol?
    The issue is the limit is too low.
    Too low for what?
    The science says that alcohol is a bad thing if you're going to be driving.
    What evidence have you that this fact is inaccurate?

elperello wrote: »
    Many of us drink whiskey, beer, wine etc. for the enjoyment of taste not for any mind altering sensation.

It is possible to enjoy a few glasses of wine as an accompaniment to a meal without any undesirable effect on either your mood or those in your company.

Of course not drinking is the sensible option in many circumstances.

A couple of glasses of wine, with a meal followed by a full nights sleep is highly unlikely to leave anyone over the limit the next morning.

I would think that you would probably have had to been drinking either excessively late or to excess to still be over the limit the next morning..if you get a full nights sleep..i.e you haven't staggered home at 2am and leaving for work at 6!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Morning bagging is an disgrace imo, .

What's the difference between having 3 pints and driving from the pub and being x over the limit or having 10 pints driving in the morning and being the same amount 9ver the limit?

Science says reaction times are slowing with alcohol. But sure, your feeling is probably better evidence.

Plenty of near misses would be crashes with a slightly slower reaction time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I've never seen a tornado, doesn't mean they don't exist. Crashes do happen in the mornings.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/christmas-drink-driving-campaign-aimed-at-morning-after-drivers-1.3715130

So 11% of fatal collisions take place from 7am to 11am? That means the amount of fatal collisions at that time are disproportionately low, hardly an argument that we need increased road safety policing at that time.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    So 11% of fatal collisions take place from 7am to 11am? That means the amount of fatal collisions at that time are disproportionately low, hardly an argument that we need increased road safety policing at that time.

Read it again,
    Some 11 per cent of fatal collisions in which a driver had consumed alcohol took place between 7am and 11am, according to Garda and Road Safety Authority figures for this year which were released on Thursday

It doesn't say 11% of fatal collisions occur between 7&11am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

CrankyHaus wrote: »

Not necessarily, you’d need to see the rest of the data, maybe 40% are between midnight and 4am. Leaving only 60% to be distributed across the remaining 20 hours.(in which case 11% may appear high)
    It’s easy dress up stats to paint any picture you want.
    Look straight past it.
    The reality is we are a nation with a poor relationship with alcohol, and a shur it will be grand attitude in relation to safe driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

It's snowing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

The guards seem to channel 90% of their resources at motorists .
    Any chance they might catch more burglars or drug dealers who are destroying communities all over the country ?

LuasSimon wrote: »
    The guards seem to channel 90% of their resources at motorists .
    Any chance they might catch more burglars or drug dealers who are destroying communities all over the country ?
    That's a fairly wild claim!
    How do you know what the gardai are doing at any one time?
    Or is it because the few interactions you have with them is when you see them on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭touts

You don't have to drink alcohol in the pub. If you need to be ****faced to talk to your "friends" in the pub then they probably aren't your friends. If you want to drive and go to the pub that is 100% fine. Just drink coke while in the pub. If you drink
    alcohol and then drive and get caught you are too dangerous to be trusted to drive.

Plenty of near misses would be crashes with a slightly slower reaction time.

So should we ban people from driving who have slow reaction times? Plenty of people would have faster reaction times after a few pints than other people sober.

If you watch them programs on tv where they do tests on people after a few drinks they are a total set up, fake as could be. Lads not able to park a car after 2 pints, total nonsense.
    Read it again,

It doesn't say 11% of fatal collisions occur between 7&11am.

The driver having consumed alcohol does now equal alcohol was to blame either which is a very important detail that’s glossed over in these statements.

So should we ban people from driving who have slow reaction times? Plenty of people would have faster reaction times after a few pints than other people sober.

If you watch them programs on tv where they do tests on people after a few drinks they are a total set up, fake as could be. Lads not able to park a car after 2 pints, total nonsense.

The driver having consumed alcohol does now equal alcohol was to blame either which is a very important detail that’s glossed over in these statements.
    Would you stop with the pseudoscience nonsense?
    Alcohol is a depressant and can reduce reaction times, affect vision and also impair reasoning and information processing. This is all proven many times over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Tell you what. You carry on drink driving, and if you get stopped you can explain the above to a judge. I've no doubt he will take you at your word and send you on your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

What other laws shouldnt apply to certain people based on the possibility of them losing their jobs?

Isnt it up to the person to make sure they dont break the law and cause themselves hardship?

I don't disagree with you.
    Drink driving comes with a unique sentence - which can prevent you keeping or getting a job - without being locked up.

of course there are degrees of crimes ,

I don't see why a fellow slightly over the limit the next morning after leaving his local at closing time should lose his job but I think a fellow who drives home from the niteclub at 4am after 8 hours on the lash should be jailed.

one is a minor infraction possibly due to negligence and the latter is blatant f8cking with no regard for others.

paw patrol wrote: »
    Drink driving comes with a unique sentence - which can prevent you keeping or getting a job - without being locked up.

I don't see why a fellow slightly over the limit the next morning after leaving his local at closing time should lose his job but I think a fellow who drives home from the niteclub at 4am after 8 hours on the lash should be jailed.

one is a minor infraction possibly due to negligence and the latter is blatant f8cking with no regard for others.
    Someone who is over the limit the following morning (who left at closing time) had drank a fair few drinks for the alcohol to still be in their system).
    If the job is that important then don't drink (or at least not as much) if they're going to drive the following morning.
    Comparing them to the ignorant prick who has a skinful and drives is irrelevant to the conversation.

• Advertisement

Drink driving can also result in the injury, disability and death of innocent people. resulting in them loosing their income, independence and life and those of their families. Much worse than loosing any job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

how will drink drivers fare for insurance to drive to work? (I expect someone already said that...I didn't read all 6 pages....)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Someone who is over the limit the following morning (who left at closing time) had drank a fair few border for the alcohol to still be in their system).
    If the job is that important then don't drink (or at least not as much) if they're going to drive the following morning.
    Comparing them to the ignorant prick who has a skinful and drives is irrelevant to the conversation.

only irrelevant if you believe in absolute interpretation of the law. If (like me) you believe in context or mitigating factors then it's not irrelevant.

I've nowhere agreed with drink driving...however I don't believe that some people should lose their income over it unless it's a serious offence.
    If it's that serious then they should do a sentence inside.

You can disagree and that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭vandriver

Isambard wrote: »
    how will drink drivers fare for insurance to drive to work? (I expect someone already said that...I didn't read all 6 pages....)
    Badly,I suspect

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Why shouldn't we punish both the person with no regard to others due to negligence and the one with blatant lack of regard to others? Both are more likely to kill other people through their own negligence.

What's the difference between having 3 pints and driving from the pub and being x over the limit or having 10 pints driving in the morning and being the same amount 9ver the limit?

There is a massive difference imo, you have had a nights sleep and are in a totally different frame of mind in the morning than at night.

As I said, maybe about 4 or 5 years ago the “morning after” started to be talked about. Before that nobody even thought about driving the next morning after a night out, it didn’t even enter the equation.

I remember in college being on massive seasons till 4 or 5 in the morning, sleep on a floor and out the door at 8:30am drive to work in my part time job and drive various machines all day at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You know you can lose your licence for many other things than drink driving?

As I said, maybe about 4 or 5 years ago the “morning after” started to be talked about. Before that nobody even thought about driving the next morning after a night out, it didn’t even enter the equation.

That's the way things work. People discover something is bad or wrong and try fix it. Maybe with a crystal ball we could fix things before they are known about.......

It's been a lot longer than 4 or 5 years btw.

There is a massive difference imo, you have had a nights sleep and are in a totally different frame of mind in the morning than at night.

See, this is the thing about opinions.........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Allinall

I remember in college being on massive seasons till 4 or 5 in the morning, sleep on a floor and out the door at 8:30am drive to work in my part time job and drive various machines all day at work.

It’s not all about you, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Allinall wrote: »

Nox’s posts are always about Nox.

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »

Well, I only care about me.

Advertisement