Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Shane Ross considering letting drink drivers drive to work..

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Discodog wrote: »
    The UK found that a hard core of drivers ignore the law & take a chance. People do make mistakes & it is possible to be over the limit when you had no intention of being so.

Law needs to be proportionate otherwise people ignore it.

Oh if only there was some easy way to check so mistakes don't lead to accidents and/or prosecutions.

oh wait... https://www.gogroopie.ie/all/xctw7s5ml/_gggoogle_79OC_?gclid=Cj0KCQiAk-7jBRD9ARIsAEy8mh57Sfw0tmluNqVM_kgFjnP6UVfN6FI1n_WOU1pcOlxG9bbNGAXR3W8aAnCDEALw_wcB

For a few years I drove a motorbike - at the time a person could have one pint and be under the limit. I drank non alcoholic beer if I had the bike as I reckoned without the security of a car to give me some protection should an accident happen I was safer having my wits completely around me.
    Still met my mates in the pub.
    Still had a laugh.
    Still had a beer.
    Just didn't have alcohol.

It's not like the repercussions of drink driving haven't been advertised enough.
    If a person is old enough to drive they are old enough to accept the repercussions for breaking the law.

But people act like drinking alcohol is a right and not being allowed to drive afterwards is some over the top nanny state interference in their civil liberties.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I would think that you would probably have had to been drinking either excessively late or to excess to still be over the limit the next morning...................

A few of those that get caught the morning after might be after having a quick "cure" before they headed out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

A person might have had half a pint.. That pushes you over the limit but that isn't going to translate into an automatic driving ban, at least in the first incidence.

What was all that kerfuffle about Ross' new law then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭V8 Interceptor

doolox wrote: »
    I am currently undergoing a drink cessation exercise under doctors supervision because I am finding it difficult to keep my drinking levels below the WHO standards of 21 units per week. I am fearful of liver damage in the future.

:pac::pac::pac:

Advertisement