Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving other people's cars

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Maybe he doesn't want a bigger wallet,
    Maybe, but he will have to either obtain a smaller licence or get a bigger wallet.

I can't stand a bit wallet in my pocket and only have a fairly small and thin one.
    Big wallets are uncomfortable and awkward. That said I always carry my licence but only since I got a credit card sized one.

I also always carried my licence, in the old days when I had card sized one, and recently when I have paper big one.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

CiniO wrote: »
    Maybe, but he will have to either obtain a smaller licence or get a bigger wallet.
    He just has to be prepared to go to a Garda station of his choosing within ten days of being stopped. It's not rocket science this.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

ShaunieVW wrote: »
    Always have it with you, I left mine in my own car during the summer and was out driving the OH's car when I was stopped, had to produce my licence at the Garda station. The thing is my old one was well battered, as I can imagine is the case with the majority of the old paper style licences. The Garda said she wouldn't accept it as a valid licence meaning I would end up in court for not producing a valid licence and driving without a licence. Madness yes, after a good 15 minutes she accepted it on the promise that I would get a new one, which was only 35 euro. Well worth it as I have it with me at all times now.
    ???

The rest of your post advocates why you shouldn't!

Just get a bigger wallet then.I can fit my paper licence, two registration certs (logbooks) and 2 insurance certs for 2 different cars into my wallet no problem. Doesn't make it any particularly thick.

But it might make you particularly thick

Why the hell do you carry all that sh1t stuffed in your wallet?

Jesus. wrote: »
    But it might make you particularly thick

Why the hell do you carry all that sh1t stuffed in your wallet?

Because it's a legal requirement to carry car's documents when driving abroad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Brian2011 wrote: »
    It does not fit in wallet.

A friend had the same problem, the license wouldnt fit in the wallet ,
    So he folded it in half, problem sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭worded

9935452 wrote: »
    A friend had the same problem, the license wouldnt fit in the wallet ,
    So he folded it in half, problem sorted

You make it sound so easy

I bet you have an answer for everything

Fold your paper licence 8 times is my advice.

If its the plastic one, just two folds, like the amount of pints that was advised to drink if driving ..... "Two will do"

Just joking :-)

Because it's a legal requirement to carry car's documents when driving abroad.

Fair enough Cinio. But why squash all that stuff into your wallet? I can only imagine what it looks like.

Why don't you put it in the Glovebox?

Jesus. wrote: »
    Fair enough Cinio. But why squash all that stuff into your wallet? I can only imagine what it looks like.
    It doesn't look too bad.
    Here's a licence and logbook and insurance cert under it.

372274.jpg

With 2 sets of logbooks and insurance certs it starts getting bit trickier.

Why don't you put it in the Glovebox?

Because I don't think it's a good idea to keep documents in the vehicle.
    If car is stolen with logbook, thief could pretend he bought vehicle from me, and it would be my word against his.
    Not even mentioning insurance implications.

You may only be allowed to drive other cars <\= 2 litre

Check with your ins co. depends on your policy

• Advertisement

Thanks for posting up that picture Cinio. It actually looks quite good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    No you can't? If you don't have it on you then you have 10 days to produce it at any garda station. Do you think they're going to give you points and a fine for not carrying a licence at all times? :confused:

It is an offence not to produce it to the Garda when demanded. And yes, people do get prosecuted for it quite regularly. You can produce the licence in 10 days but that doesn't clear you from not having it with you at the time. It's up to the Garda whether to prosecute you for it.

No you can't? If you don't have it on you then you have 10 days to produce it at any garda station. Do you think they're going to give you points and a fine for not carrying a licence at all times? :confused:

No they won't. I've never once heard of such an situation

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

It is an offence not to produce it to the Garda when demanded. And yes, people do get prosecuted for it quite regularly.

Are you saying that people regularly get points and/or fined for not carrying a licence with them at all times? I find that hard to believe - people don't carry their licence, insurance cert, logbooks, etc with them at all times and that's why you are given 10 days to produce them at a station. You're telling me you personally know of instances where people have produced within the 10 days and everything was in order yet they were prosecuted anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Are you saying that people regularly get points and/or fined for not carrying a licence with them at all times? I find that hard to believe - people don't carry their licence, insurance cert, logbooks, etc with them at all times and that's why you are given 10 days to produce them at a station. You're telling me you personally know of instances where people have produced within the 10 days and everything was in order yet they were prosecuted anyway?

Yes. It usually doesn't happen unless you've managed to piss off the Garda. It is an offence not to carry your licence when driving. It is not an offence not to carry your insurance cert or logbook. If you ever go to court you will notice people tend to have three driving licence offences against them. No licence, failing to produce a licence, failing to produce a licence in 10 days. Three separate offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,331 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When do the Gardai ask to see your licence? I've been stopped at dozens of checkpoints over the years, all they do is look at the paperwork on the windscreen and wave me on.

Excluding the aftermath of a traffic accident, when was the last time a Garda asked to see your driving licence? I have never been asked to produce it in over 40 years of driving. The only time I need the licence is when renting a car, driving around Ireland nobody has ever asked to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

coylemj wrote: »
    When do the Gardai ask to see your licence? I've been stopped at dozens of checkpoints over the years, all they do is look at the paperwork on the windscreen and wave me on.

Excluding the aftermath of a traffic accident, when was the last time a Garda asked to see your driving licence? I have never been asked to produce it in over 40 years of driving. The only time I need the licence is when renting a car, driving around Ireland nobody has ever asked to see it.

Been driving for 8 years and have been asked to produce my licence on the spot several times (too many to count tbh). Have you never been pulled over by the guards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭9935452

Been driving for 8 years and have been asked to produce my licence on the spot several times (too many to count tbh). Have you never been pulled over by the guards?

Been driving for 15 years and asked to produce my license on the spot twice ever.
    Once when i was rear ended and the other time when i was stopped by an unmarked car whilst driving my quad bike on the road,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

So have I. I drive several vehicles so I have it in the wallet. I might get a replacement plastic one as my paper one isn't due to expire until 2022.

• Advertisement
Advertisement