Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving other people's cars

Options
  • 18-12-2015 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭

Insured to drive other cars 3rd party but do you need to bring your own driving license with you every time you are driving somebody else's car to show to guards at checkpoint?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Your supposed to have your license with you at all times no matter what car.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Brian2011

I have the old type wallet license, that's hassle to bring it everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Well if stopped you will likely be asked to produce your license and proof of insurance at a garda station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Brian2011 wrote: »
    I have the old type wallet license, that's hassle to bring it everywhere.

I'm sure you can manage to carry your Mobile and wallet......you could perhaps stick the licence into the Wallet. Just a thought.

Can you get the card type license for free if you have old wallet type?

• Advertisement

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    I'm sure you can manage to carry your Mobile and wallet......you could perhaps stick the licence into the Wallet. Just a thought.

It does not fit in wallet.

Can you get the card type license for free if you have old wallet type?

NO.

NO.

Can you pay for one then, would be really handy to store in wallet?

Plenty of Threads on this topic here on Boards. Just do a search.

Plenty of Threads on this topic here on Boards. Just do a search.

If someone could just answer this would be great! Nothing on the NDLS about it. They don't even have a contact number!.

• Advertisement

"If you don't have your license on you, you have 10 days to produce your license at the garda station. They aren't going to arrest you or seize your car just because you don't have your license"

Taken from another thread, is this correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭mhackett102

Save yourself some hassle and bring your licence around with you. The old paper ones would fit in where you keep your notes in your wallet.

If you want to get the card type one you will still have to go to an NDLS centre and pay €55 (presuming its a full licence you have).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

NO.

Don't you get a card licence for free if you sign up to be an organ donor?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

If someone could just answer this would be great! Nothing on the NDLS about it. They don't even have a contact number!.
    Your supposed to have your license with you at all times no matter what car.

What he said.

As for changing your Licence for the new credit card type, you can change it for free if any of your personal details hace changed. Bear in mind, the expiry will be the same as that of your old one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

Yes it does I carried mine in many wallets over the years.

Edit: To add I used to always buy a good sturdy leather wallet and found ones big enough to fit everything. Even the wallet I have on me now in the US for some reason I still have my Irish license in it with my card and cash and US license. No idea though why I havent removed it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

"If you don't have your license on you, you have 10 days to produce your license at the garda station. They aren't going to arrest you or seize your car just because you don't have your license"

They have the power to seize the car if they reckon you are too young (or old?) to have a licence.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2011/si/460/made/en/print
    Detention, removal and storage of vehicle

3. A member of the Garda Síochána is authorised in the case of a mechanically propelled vehicle referred to in section 41(1) of the Act of 1994 to detain, remove and store the vehicle and to make an arrangement with any other person for such detention, removal or storage.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1994/act/7/section/41/enacted/en/html#sec41
    (a) the person driving the vehicle refuses or fails to produce there and then a driving licence then having effect and licensing him to drive the vehicle, when production of such a licence is demanded of him by a member of the Garda Síochána under section 40 (1) of the Principal Act and the member is of opinion that the person is by reason of his age ineligible to hold a driving licence licensing him to drive the vehicle,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

Insured to drive other cars 3rd party but do you need to bring your own driving license with you every time you are driving somebody else's car to show to guards at checkpoint?

I've never brought my licence around with me. Damn thing doesn't fit into the wallet. You'll just be asked to produce it at a Cop shop within 10 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Jesus. wrote: »
    I've never brought my licence around with me. Damn thing doesn't fit into the wallet. You'll just be asked to produce it at a Cop shop within 10 days

That's correct but you can still be prosecuted for not carrying it with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭rachaelf750

Would a photo of your licence saved on your mobile phone be ok as proof ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

That's correct but you can still be prosecuted for not carrying it with you.

No you can't? If you don't have it on you then you have 10 days to produce it at any garda station. Do you think they're going to give you points and a fine for not carrying a licence at all times? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Would a photo of your licence saved on your mobile phone be ok as proof ?

FFS..what do you think? Just carry the licence with you at all times if you can and if you can't then just be able to produce it within 10 days.

How is this such a difficult concept for some people to grasp?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Save yourself some hassle and bring your licence around with you. The old paper ones would fit in where you keep your notes in your wallet.

If you want to get the card type one you will still have to go to an NDLS centre and pay €55 (presuming its a full licence you have).
    35 for a replacement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

shietpilot wrote: »
    Don't you get a card licence for free if you sign up to be an organ donor?
    WTF??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,126 ✭✭✭shanec1928

KC161 wrote: »
    WTF??? :confused:

It was a thing. Pretty sure they stopped that, big three on here about it at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Always have it with you, I left mine in my own car during the summer and was out driving the OH's car when I was stopped, had to produce my licence at the Garda station.

The thing is my old one was well battered, as I can imagine is the case with the majority of the old paper style licences. The Garda said she wouldn't accept it as a valid licence meaning I would end up in court for not producing a valid licence and driving without a licence. Madness yes, after a good 15 minutes she accepted it on the promise that I would get a new one, which was only 35 euro. Well worth it as I have it with me at all times now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    FFS..what do you think? Just carry the licence with you at all times if you can and if you can't then just be able to produce it within 10 days.

How is this such a difficult concept for some people to grasp?

You can photocopy your license and laminate it. You can go a step further and ask for a Garda station to stamp it before you laminate it. I have one in each of the family cars. Stopped once or twice, never an issue.

Doesn't help the OP but is handy to know if you will be commonly driving a set of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    No you can't? If you don't have it on you then you have 10 days to produce it at any garda station. Do you think they're going to give you points and a fine for not carrying a licence at all times? :confused:

It is an offence not to carry a licence with you, so I believe there is an option you can get prosecuted for it, even if you bring it to the station within 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Just get a bigger wallet then.
    I can fit my paper licence, two registration certs (logbooks) and 2 insurance certs for 2 different cars into my wallet no problem. Doesn't make it any particularly thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

That is 100% correct. Yeah they may have the right to do something more but they won't.

No idea why people are being so difficult about this non issue.

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    Just get a bigger wallet then.
    I can fit my paper licence, two registration certs (logbooks) and 2 insurance certs for 2 different cars into my wallet no problem. Doesn't make it any particularly thick.

Maybe he doesn't want a bigger wallet, I can't stand a bit wallet in my pocket and only have a fairly small and thin one. Big wallets are uncomfortable and awkward. That said I always carry my licence but only since I got a credit card sized one.

Advertisement