Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT on Extras

Options
  • 01-01-2014 12:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

Just wondering could anybody help with this ...

How is vrt calculated for a car imported with a lot of optional extras fitted?

They are mainly upgraded technology extras like enhanced audio, sat nav etc.

The car is a 2012 Audi A6 S Line 2.0 Tdi

Information would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Good thread on it here, seems to only apply on cars up to 4 years old...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056864434

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They depreciate the cost of extras over the first 4 years of the car. So if the car is 2 years old the VRT rate will be calculated based on 50% of the original cost of that extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭carrollmark

bazz26 wrote: »
    They depreciate the cost of extras over the first 4 years of the car. So if the car is 2 years old the VRT rate will be calculated based on 50% of the original cost of that extra.

So if theres €8,000 worth of extras do they take a certain percentage of €4000 ... and if so what is that percentage?

The other question is do they always identify all the extras and if so how?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

That's interesting about extras on a <4 year old car. Bringing in a 08 Prius T-Spirit in the next few days and she has leather. So I assume that'll cost nothing extra?!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Soarer wrote: »
    That's interesting about extras on a <4 year old car. Bringing in a 08 Prius T-Spirit in the next few days and she has leather. So I assume that'll cost nothing extra?!

Aren't they supposed to have leather anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,858 ✭✭✭Soarer

Nah. Only posh ones like mine! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Soarer wrote: »
    Nah. Only posh ones like mine! ;)

I'd say you'll be alright. Its over 4 years and I don't think they spec check non premium brands (no offense!)

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

So if theres €8,000 worth of extras do they take a certain percentage of €4000 ... and if so what is that percentage?

The other question is do they always identify all the extras and if so how?

Second question first, all Audi/BMW/Mercedes cars less than 4 years old are usually not registered on the day you present at the NCT centre, but the details are sent to Rosslare for manual assessment. By this they mean that they find out what options were fitted to the car when new via the VIN number. So yes, they will identify all extras.

First question: The extra VRT will be the same percentage of the 4000 as they apply to the car, based on the emissions band. So for example if it is band C (141-155g/km) then they would charge an extra 23% (=920 euro) for 4000 value of extras.

lifer_sean wrote: »
    Second question first, all Audi/BMW/Mercedes cars less than 4 years old are usually not registered on the day you present at the NCT centre, but the details are sent to Rosslare for manual assessment. By this they mean that they find out what options were fitted to the car when new via the VIN number. So yes, they will identify all extras.

First question: The extra VRT will be the same percentage of the 4000 as they apply to the car, based on the emissions band. So for example if it is band C (141-155g/km) then they would charge an extra 23% (=920 euro) for 4000 value of extras.

Thanks a million for that, I really appreciate it!

These are 2 cars I'm interested in over in England

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201312160551293/sort/pricedesc/postcode/sw193rq/radius/1501/make/AUDI/model/a6/price-from/18000/price-to/25000/page/1

REG PLATE IS DG61RVM

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201312210651421/sort/pricedesc/postcode/sw193rq/radius/1501/make/AUDI/model/a6/price-from/18000/price-to/25000/page/1

REG PLATE IS JG05DLG

Finding it difficult to get a VRT cost that I can be confident is reasonably accurate give or take a few hundred quid

If anyone knows how to get it right it'd be a great help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,672 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Thanks a million for that, I really appreciate it!

These are 2 cars I'm interested in over in England

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201312160551293/sort/pricedesc/postcode/sw193rq/radius/1501/make/AUDI/model/a6/price-from/18000/price-to/25000/page/1

REG PLATE IS DG61RVM

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201312210651421/sort/pricedesc/postcode/sw193rq/radius/1501/make/AUDI/model/a6/price-from/18000/price-to/25000/page/1

REG PLATE IS JG05DLG

Finding it difficult to get a VRT cost that I can be confident is reasonably accurate give or take a few hundred quid

If anyone knows how to get it right it'd be a great help.

Had a quick look at the first one. Based on the bits they list, that weren't standard on S-Line models in Ireland, in 2012, you'll be paying VRT on:

€1,203 - Valcona leather with embossed S line logo (N1V)
    €1,055 - Audi exclusive alloy wheels. Size: 19” 5 twin spoke design Audi exclusive alloys (PQ2)
    €3,404 - MMI® navigation plus with MMI touch® (PNQ)

Whether is has anything else above standard Irish specification, you'd probably need the chassis number to check the full specification, and compare that to the standard specification on a 2012 A6 S-Line in Ireland. It doesn't look to be too different.

2nd one seems to have some of the Audi Sense stuff - Pre sence Basic is standard across all A6 models. Rear and Side Pre Sense options come with other options (adaptive cruise for the front, side assist for the rear), but the rear sense could only be ordered with other options, and that's where Audi's get very confusing.

• Advertisement

R.O.R wrote: »
    Had a quick look at the first one. Based on the bits they list, that weren't standard on S-Line models in Ireland, in 2012, you'll be paying VRT on:

€1,203 - Valcona leather with embossed S line logo (N1V)
    €1,055 - Audi exclusive alloy wheels. Size: 19” 5 twin spoke design Audi exclusive alloys (PQ2)
    €3,404 - MMI® navigation plus with MMI touch® (PNQ)

Whether is has anything else above standard Irish specification, you'd probably need the chassis number to check the full specification, and compare that to the standard specification on a 2012 A6 S-Line in Ireland. It doesn't look to be too different.

2nd one seems to have some of the Audi Sense stuff - Pre sence Basic is standard across all A6 models. Rear and Side Pre Sense options come with other options (adaptive cruise for the front, side assist for the rear), but the rear sense could only be ordered with other options, and that's where Audi's get very confusing.

Thanks a million. Fair play to you for taking the time to help out.

The second one has £5654 of extras ... converts to €6812

Its 2 years old, so that's 50% depreciation so that leaves €3406 worth of extras to be taxed at 19%

So the extras should be charged at €647

The VRT seems to be €7111, so im looking at €7758 payable to revenue, give or take a few quid.

Am I getting that right or am I missing something ?

Thanks a million. Fair play to you for taking the time to help out.

The second one has £5654 of extras ... converts to €6812

Its 2 years old, so that's 50% depreciation so that leaves €3406 worth of extras to be taxed at 19%

So the extras should be charged at €647

The VRT seems to be €7111, so im looking at €7758 payable to revenue, give or take a few quid.

Am I getting that right or am I missing something ?

I'm not 100% sure how it's done (never having done it myself), but I think you ignore the UK extra's cost, and to get a definite value, you'll need the Irish cost of the extra's.

Full 2012 Product guide for the A6 was just a bit too big to attach (5.3MB) so I've PDF'd relevant pages and attached. Didn't come out quite as well as the original.....

I'm not 100% sure how it's done (never having done it myself), but I think you ignore the UK extra's cost, and to get a definite value, you'll need the Irish cost of the extra's.

Full 2012 Product guide for the A6 was just a bit too big to attach (5.3MB) so I've PDF'd relevant pages and attached. Didn't come out quite as well as the original.....

Thats super, thanks a million!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yep, they go on the list price of the extras here, not the country of origin.

You don't have a link to this product guide where I could download the full thing

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bf

OP I've just bought a very similar car out of the Uk,I'll send you a PM

You don't have a link to this product guide where I could download the full thing

It's saved on my PC in work, but all that is missing is the colours, technical specification (fuel consumption, weights etc.) and a load of info that isn't really relevant - about some of the technology available and how efficient Audi engines are.

If you want to send me a PM on Monday with your e-mail address, I'll mail on the full thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭decko11

Hi

Help really appreciated

The revenue manual seems to suggest that after 3 years there is no VRT on extras

as the formula gives an extra year

see below

any expereince of this apprreciated ! - about to press the button on an AUg 2010 car !

thanks !

8.3.3.Establish the Value of Any Optional Extras
    The next step in the valuation process is to establish if the particular vehicle has additional
    extras and, if so, to attach a value to them. This is done by reference to trade guides, supplier
    catalogues and other relevant source material. The extras are depreciated (at an accelerated
    basis) over the first 5 years of the life of the vehicle.

Age of vehicle Reduction in OMSP of extras

Less than 3 months 0%

less than 1 year 10%

less than 2 years 25%

less than 3 years 40%

less than 4 years 55%

Over 4 years 100%

This depreciation in the value of extras is based on the age of the vehicle, which is calculated
    using a specific “extras” formula, which is different from the formula used to calculate the age
    of the vehicle.

First, the age of the vehicle in years is calculated using the formula:

Age in years = Year of registration in the State - Year of first registration.

Then the age in months is calculated using the formula:
    Age in months = (age in years * 12) + (Month of registration in the State – Month of
    first registration).

Using these two pieces of information, the Year for depreciation purposes is calculated by
    using the formula:

Year = (age in months/12) + 1

Using this formula, a vehicle with a first date of registration of 20/01/2013 that was presented
    for registration in the State on 10/10/2013 would be deemed to be one year but less than two
    years old, i.e.:

Age in years = Year of registration in the State - Year of first registration
    Revenue Operational Manual Page 8 of 23
    Age in years = 2013 – 2013 = 0
    Age in months = (age in years * 12) + (Month of registration in the State – Month of
    first registration)
    Age in months = (0 * 12) + (10-01) = 9
    Year = (age in months/12) + 1
    Year = (9/12) + 1 = 1
    Therefore a depreciation rate of 10% would be applied to the extra

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

This has changed now Audi and BMW are valuated if under 2 years old. Mercedes are still done under 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭decko11

michellie wrote: »
    This has changed now Audi and BMW are valuated if under 2 years old. Mercedes are still done under 4 years.

is that because the chassis number gives them the whole story and they just take that as OMSP - so worse off ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement