Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vrt plus extras?

Options
  • 25-01-2013 9:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hey everyone, Going getting a car over in the uk and importing it back here and know you can go onto vrt.ie to get rough calculation of vrt but does anyone know what way the extras work?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

it used to be just a figure plucked from the air depending on the inspector. The lovely people in wicklow had interesting valuation of some extras. I was charged 200 euro extra because the car was black. Yes black is metallic paint so they reckoned it was worth 1000 extra to the value of a 4 year old car with vrt approx 20% = €200.
    this was before the nct people had anything to do with it. So not sure now

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

OP, add up new cost of the extras. Say it is €4k for instance.
    Depreciate by 25% a year. Leaving you say €1k value left in them in
    a 3.5 year old car. Take your VRT rate of that, say 20%.

In this example on a 3.5 year old car with €4k of extras as new you would
    owe 20% of 25% of €4k. €200.

Metallic paint is generally an extra for example, for German cars they have
    direct links to every extra on the cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I would use the actual revenue.ie calculator rather than vrt.ie which is an independent website.

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s1

The most important thing to get first is the actual emissions figure on the V5 cert from the actual car, there will be different emissions figures for different versions of the same car. Even within same emissions models there are some anomalies where they value certain specs higher than others - even if the spec on one seems higher, they can crucify a certain spec over an other.

As above, on premium cars, they have links to the manufacturers where they can tell what optional extras were fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

VRT is charged on extras on imported cars upto 4 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

The extras are only based on cars under 4 years old, such as Audi, Merc, Volvo, bmw etc.

You bring the car in for its inspection in the nct centre, the nct employee sends all the vehicle details to revenue in rosslare(manual valuation) they decide the price of any extras.

Someone from Nct head office will phone you with the Vrt price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭mark316

So if I bought a 2008 car I wouldn't be charged on extras?

No you would not, anything prior to Jan 09 you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dean Kelly

Is that 100% guaranteed? I am buying a 2005 vauxhall vectra 1.9 Sri tomorrow. Because its more than 4 years old, the price I got from the vrt calculator will be accurate regardless of extras??? Cheers

Dean Kelly wrote: »
    Is that 100% guaranteed? I am buying a 2005 vauxhall vectra 1.9 Sri tomorrow. Because its more than 4 years old, the price I got from the vrt calculator will be accurate regardless of extras??? Cheers

Vauxhall wouldnt be calculated on extras anyway regardless of age it's only cars such as Audi, Bmw,Merc, Volvo etc

The price you got is subject to change and should be right as long as you picked the correct model with the correct co2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

michellie wrote: »
    Vauxhall wouldnt be calculated on extras anyway regardless of age it's only cars such as Audi, Bmw,Merc, Volvo etc

Just out of curiosity why is Vauxhall ok for extras but Audi etc. charged for?

• Advertisement

Because nobody spends €2000 on satnav upgrades on a vectra
    Bread and butter cars tend to have different standard package trim/ equipment levels with little scope for optional extras.

Are they still charging for extras on a car or it intergrated into vrt?

Nothing has changed in the meantime. How old is the car you're looking at and what is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I VRTed 3.5 year old car in 2013, and no one asked me about any extras. NCT inspector hardly even looked into the car... All he checked was VIN number (he hadn't a clue where it was so I had to show him).
    Car was Honda Civic.

2014 Passat estate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

CiniO wrote: »
    I VRTed 3.5 year old car in 2013, and no one asked me about any extras. NCT inspector hardly even looked into the car... All he checked was VIN number (he hadn't a clue where it was so I had to show him).
    Car was Honda Civic.

He didn't check the odometer?

I did the same recently (3.5 year old car as well) and the inspector barely looked at the car (besides VIN and odometer), but it was a Toyota so probably didn't care about extras - the only extras it had were mudflaps anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I don't think they visually need to check for extras anymore. They can do all that with the car's VIN on their database.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Old thread lock. Start a fresh thread instead so info from 2013 won't be confused as new info from 2016.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement