Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PARKING in middle of T junction - Garda said "no traffic flow affected"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Tonight:

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Same again! You came right out without any pause. I'm going to say this, I may be wrong, but the videos suggest you come out knowing there is a car coming, in order for some confrontation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Are you trying to cause an accident or something? :confused:

You see the car parked there, you know the danger; slow down when turning that corner. If you crash there driving like that then you only have yourself to blame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

So, if is my fault, i will take the blame !
    But can we, as people living on that road, we are all wrong !?
    According to some of you, yes is our fault and the cars parked in that junction are fine !

We have to take the crystal ball with us and anticipate that when a car is parked there...we don't cross until all clear ! From all sides, including boards.ie ! :)

Thanks guys...keep parking in the middle of the T junction !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

djimi wrote: »
    Are you trying to cause an accident or something? :confused:

You see the car parked there, you know the danger; slow down when turning that corner. If you crash there driving like that then you only have yourself to blame.

Playing (read: attempting to) Mr righteous with his new dash cam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,251 ✭✭✭Juwwi

The fact you know it's a dangerous junction why are not edging out
    to see if its clear to turn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

rolion wrote: »
    According to some of you, yes is our fault and the cars parked in that junction are fine !

We have to take the crystal ball with us and anticipate that when a car is parked there...we don't cross until all clear ! From all sides, including boards.ie ! :)

No it's your fault for not taking due care.
    You've been told how to go about having the junction cleared. Flying around with your dash can on isn't gonna solve the problem. That's just gonna add an insurance bill to your woes

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,585 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

That post has come across condescending. We are simply pointing out that your approach and continuation into the junction is wrong. You have admitted yourself that you have nearly crashed a few times. Based on that, surely you would approach that junction with caution. I agree with you that the car should not be parked in that junction. Nobody has argued with you there (despite you saying that we all accept it to be ok).

If every time I came to a junction I nearly crashed, I would change how I approached that junction. Continuing on with the close calls hoping to force others to act differently (let's face it, the people who park their cars there can't see what it's causing), is NOT the way to carry on.

You seem to be spectacularly missing the point. You can see the car parked there, you know the danger it may pose. Nobody is suggesting that the car is right to be parked there, but if you continue to take that corner in such a reckless manner when you know the potential danger of the situation then you are in the wrong if you cause an accident, end of story.

You need to learn to slow down and prepare to stop at that junction when you see a car parked there.

This situation is not unique to your estate; it pops up in estates all over the country. You need to use your common sense when driving in built up areas; something your videos have shown an alarming lack of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Just a quick question, if it was the other way around and you were the car overtaking the parked car and someone came around the corner like you did in those two videos and you collided with each other, who would you think is at fault ?
    Get on to the local authority to put double yellows there but take responsibility for your own driving.
    T junction....you stop and make sure the road is clear on both sides. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Tonight:

Is there really a need to use your horn like that?

As for both videos, if you produced both of those after a crash I'd imagine you'd be at fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

fineso.mom wrote: »
    Get on to the local authority to put double yellows there but take responsibility for your own driving.
    T junction....you stop and make sure the road is clear on both sides. Simple.

If the Gardaì aren't bothering to enforce the no parking within 5m, or is it 10m, from a junction there's no point in wasting yellow paint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Is there really a need to use your horn like that?.

I thought the horn got stuck on !

Tonight:

Why are you blasting your horn for so long?

You know that its a dangerous junction and still drive it without making sure that the road is clear. If I came across that junction I'd be barely moving as I check to make sure its safe. Even if the car wasnt parked there you're still going to fast around the corner, there could be anything on the road. If that's how you drive in your housing estate I'd be getting rid of the dash cam as it'll only record your bad driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

I wonder how often a guys dash cam has been used in evidence against him. Rolion, i suggest you get rid of yours.
    And relax on the road, will ya? For everyone's sake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

someone ought to shove that horn up yer arse tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

it did look to me as if it was an unmarked tee junction, in which case you should pause to make sure the way to your right is clear before proceeding and you would then have checked your left and seen the car aproaching. IMO you should not be going to the left without first checking it is clear to do so

• Administrators Posts: 14,384 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

From a good distance back you can see that there is a car parked there, and that there may be a car (who can't see you coming) trying to pass it. So it is up to you to approach the junction with caution, knowing that there is a likelihood of a car coming from the left.

In both those incidents you do not approach the junction with any caution what so ever.

Ok, so technically you say you only have to yield to your right. So, you don't have to check your left? What if a pedestrian is half way across the road to your left, and you have only checked that the right is clear and proceeded at that speed? You hit the pedestrian, that's what.

You are coming out of a junction, regardless of anything else you need to check that your way is clear on both sides before you progress. It is not the motorist coming from the left's fault that the car is parked there. They are proceeding on their way - with, from what they can see, a clear path - until you fly around the corner without checking that your path is clear.

Bring your dash cam to the guards, and they will tell you to check both sides of the road are clear before proceeding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

You'd have possibly failed your driving test on both of those videos.

- Reaction to Hazards
    - Speed
    - Right of Way
    - Possibly Observation

By the way, it looks like you are hoping that there will be an accident there, so you can go around telling everyone "I told you". Whereas most people would much prefer to save themselves the hassle of an accident!

Start putting fliers on the window of the parked car, with the rules of the road highlighted, if you want. It'd certainly be more productive than driving head first into an innocent motorist, who's doing absolutely nothing wrong as per the rules of the road and blaring your horn at them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

BMJD wrote: »
    someone ought to shove that horn up yer arse tbh

+1

I realize you're 'in the right', and all that. I realize you have a bug up your ass about the junction. From those videos though, it looks like you're approaching the junction looking for an excuse to have a bit of a bluster. In that situation, on that junction, with the knowledge and experience of the ongoing issue, even though I'd know that I was 'in the right', I'd approach with caution expecting to meet traffic. I'd then pause at the head of the junction and proceed with caution. If there was a car in the offside lane, I'd let them on. It'd be the neighbourly and courteous thing to do and it's only take a few seconds out of my day. The parked car is a problem minor inconvenience for everybody in the scenarios you've uploaded. Not just you.

Mostly though, considering the issue in the context of actual problems that I have to deal with every day, I'd get over it.

Life's too short.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

What the hell are you beeping the horn constantly. Your lucky the person in other car didn't jump out and beat the crap out of you. You know the junction and cars parked there yet you still drove straight into junction with out slowing down and then kept constantly beeping horn as if that is going to do anything other than annoy the other driver.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭sawdoubters

it would be terrible if someone let down the tires

the council would be the ones to talk to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Tonight:

Looks like your driving too fast for a housing estate.

You even know that hazard is there and didn't attempt slow down at all.

And using your horn like that in a residential area especially in the evening is very bloody annoying !

Looks like your driving too fast for a housing estate.

You even know that hazard is there and didn't attempt slow down at all.

And using your horn like that in a residential area especially in the evening is very bloody annoying !

...not to mention illegal....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

never mind the junction, your driving is fcuking terrible , especially your speed,

do you think your in monaco ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

alphabeat wrote: »
    never mind the junction, your driving is fcuking terrible , especially your speed,

do you think your in monaco ??

You sound like my aul fella.

NOW...few issues here...who's fault is it ?
    Car coming from left, says that he has to overtake the parked car and you entered his lane.
    Car coming from lower T doesn't have to stop or yield as no cars coming on his flow, from right side, but has to crash with the car that overtakes in a junction due to the car parked in the middle !

Why does anyone "have to" crash? There is nothing coming from your right.. but surely you don't drive down a road looking behind you all the time. You are also expected to watch where you are going, to make sure it is safe to drive! That happens on ANY road.

So if you drive into the back of a car on a straight road, you are at fault for not watching where you are going. Same way if you pull out of a junction and hit a car head on without looking in that direction, then you are driving without "due care and attention", and you are in the wrong.

The car coming from the left moves out to overtake an obstruction when his road ahead is clear. Perfectly acceptable & legal maneuver. You then pull into the junction, because there is nothing coming from your right, but fail to notice the car from the left has already begun his maneuver before you got there.. You are in the wrong.

I really don't know why you find it so difficult to understand that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Has no-one considered that maybe, just maybe the person who is overtaking on a junction should exercise at least as much caution as the OP?
    I don't drive down the street on the wrong side of the road expecting people pulling out from a junction to automatically 'see' me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Hi,

Sorry to drag an old topic for an up to date issue !
    Managed to capture few days ago a real time situation where a non-local car, registered in Cork was on the collision course with my car:

Tonight, another near crash situation, i have the recording in the car dash cam, i will upload it later.
    Came home, near crash with another car.
    Called local Garda in D15 and told them that in the next few days I will forward an official registered letter to them and signed by all people living on that road ,explaining the situation and the fact that all neighbours and people living on that street have rang and complained to the Station and still no update or change seen ...

What next can we do here... !??

Thanks.
    Tonight:

Crazy, absolutely crazy driving on your behalf. You should of slowed down and looked to see if your path was clear before coming out of that junction. What if it had been a cyclist or a motorcycle or a jogger? You could seriously injur or even kill someone coming out of that junction like that.

As for the beeping and getting out of the car, it was totally unnecessary and road rage imo.

Not trying to be smart here but I think in your situation one should take a few driving lessons and anger management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

When driving in a housing estate, I watch everywhere - for kids' feet behind/under cars, for balls on the pavements, for dogs/cats, and at a junction like the one shown for cars from either part of the top of the T.

Under no circumstances would I navigate an estate at the kind of speeds shown in your own videos. Frankly I'm tempted to forward them to the gardai and ask them to have a word with you.

pablo128 wrote: »
    Has no-one considered that maybe, just maybe the person who is overtaking on a junction should exercise at least as much caution as the OP?
    I don't drive down the street on the wrong side of the road expecting people pulling out from a junction to automatically 'see' me.

The person overtaking the parked car has a clear road ahead of them, they can see it's clear so pull out to pass the parked car. Considering the speed the OP has come around the corner in both posted videos I think the other drivers have done a very good job of exercising caution.

You may not drive on the wrong side of the road expecting someone to see you, put you drive with the hope that a person pulling out of a junction where they can see an obstruction pays attention.

Don't forget that regardless of the illegally parked car being there or not there are other road users who could have a valid reason for being in the position of the cars in the videos, a pedestrian crossing the road, and the OP would have hit them with their driving style of only checking to the right when coming entering a blind junction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

VERY poor driving on your part. You are 100% in the wrong.

Shlow down Tommy!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Reminds me of that video where the cyclist takes on the lady in the car. Totally and utterly looking for a confrontation. Your approaching a T-junction in a housing estate, why you don't stop / look or even slow down is beyond me, oh wait, your looking for justification. I see nothing wrong with the car parked there. Its an estate. Granted its a nuisance but its pretty obvious and 5 seconds would have your checking, yielding and driving around it safely. Leave 10 seconds earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

I looked at both videos.

I can't believe how aggresively the junction was approached in both instances.

You know it's a dangerous junction and can see the car parked. Why have you still proceeded into it at speed - what point are you trying to make?

There is a car parked there, you know there is so modify your driving behaviour to prevent an accident.

Triangla wrote: »
    I looked at both videos.

I can't believe how aggresively the junction was approached in both instances.

You know it's a dangerous junction and can see the car parked. Why have you still proceeded into it at speed - what point are you trying to make?

There is a car parked there, you know there is so modify your driving behaviour to prevent an accident.

I'd say in his mind while driving towards it:

"COME ON ... COME ON ... COME ON ... COME ON ... COME ON ... COME ON ... COME ON ... COME ON ... COME ON ... COME ON ... COME ON ... COME ON ... COME ON ... YEEAAAAHHHH ... FOCKING KNEW IT WOULD HAPPEN .."

*now to get out and make myself feel better*

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭dantastic

Aaaah, good old boards. A fella opens a thread trying to sort/vent issues with people parking illegally. And by F! you cannot under any circumstances park there in the t-junction (like ever-ever, yellow lines or not).
    An the amount of posters suggesting how he should change his driving behaviour etc. If the cars weren't parked there there would be no problem.

So instead of solving the actual problems in the country let's pretend it's your problem until you go away.

This thread clearly demonstrate that the parked cars both are cause of safety concerns and affect traffic flow. I don't care if OP was coming down the road doing 200mph. Those parked cars are still more in the wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

dantastic wrote: »
    Aaaah, good old boards. A fella opens a thread trying to sort/vent issues with people parking illegally. And by F! you cannot under any circumstances park there in the t-junction (like ever-ever, yellow lines or not).
    An the amount of posters suggesting how he should change his driving behaviour etc. If the cars weren't parked there there would be no problem.

So instead of solving the actual problems in the country let's pretend it's your problem until you go away.

This thread clearly demonstrate that the parked cars both are cause of safety concerns and affect traffic flow. I don't care if OP was coming down the road doing 200mph. Those parked cars are still more in the wrong.
    Yes.

Let us all flow through T-junctions without yield or stopping! That is the path to a brighter tomorrow!

By the sounds of it, OP is from mainland Europe where most countries have a turn left(or right in their situation) if safe to do so (which usually means no traffic from the opposite direction and no need to yield or stop).

BUT, in this case, because of the parked car, turning left is turning straight into traffic and therefore due care must be given unless you don't like your car or would like to make some videos of you giving out to innocent and in the right road users.

• Advertisement

Taylor365 wrote: »
    Yes.

Let us all flow through T-junctions without yield or stopping! That is the path to a brighter tomorrow!

By the sounds of it, OP is from mainland Europe where most countries have a turn left(or right in their situation) if safe to do so (which usually means no traffic from the opposite direction and no need to yield or stop).

Even then, you don't just blindly go like a knob around a corner.

It's a housing estate ffs.

But dantastic, the point people are making is the OP is in fact taking it out on other motorists, rather than targetting the people who are actually at fault... The ones parking their car there.

No point blaring his horn or getting confrontational with an innocent motorist just going about their business and doing nothing illegal or even slightly against the rules of the road.

He started the thread to complain about the bad parkers, and then goes on trying to blame the other motorists for driving as they would be expected to, while he drives like a lunatic trying to get into a scrape, so that he can then be justified in giving out about the parked car.

Misdirected anger, and dreadful driving in a housing estate. That's the point people are arguing with him.

Ever heard the expression "two wrongs dont make a right"?

From watching the videos posted, the OP seems to be actively looking to cause an accident at this junction so that they can use it as a way to justify their grievance. Their driving is reckless in a situation where they know that there is a potential danger, and no matter what you might say about the parked car, it doesnt excuse the fact that the OP can see the car parked there well in advance, and seemingly takes no caution whatsoever to avoid the hazardous situation that they know it might cause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,301 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Hi,

Sorry to drag an old topic for an up to date issue !
    Managed to capture few days ago a real time situation where a non-local car, registered in Cork was on the collision course with my car:

Tonight, another near crash situation, i have the recording in the car dash cam, i will upload it later.
    Came home, near crash with another car.
    Called local Garda in D15 and told them that in the next few days I will forward an official registered letter to them and signed by all people living on that road ,explaining the situation and the fact that all neighbours and people living on that street have rang and complained to the Station and still no update or change seen ...

What next can we do here... !??

Thanks.

What an idiotic thing to do

Yield is a new concept to you I take it ?

I've been advised by the Garda officer to drive slow and carefully.
    OK, fine for me...BUT...what if another driver is not driving slow and carefully, what if is a new driver in the area ! What if he's not going to stop to look left AND right at that junction and crash on to me, the same me as a driver that overtook the parked car and been on the other traffic lane ,crashing head-to-head with a legal driver !?According to some here...the parked car is ..parked legally !
    Nice one...

So, if I park ,repeat park overnight or full day my jeep in the middle of a T traffic junction with around 200 cars passing by in a normal day, in a residential estate...is that going to be ok for you !??

There were already few crashes, as been told by other people, unfortunately, i don't know the outcome of the crash !

From the first page of this thread. The OP aired a concern about the parked car causing issues to overtaking cars where drivers might not exercise caution when turning out of the junction. Now the OP seems to be going out of their way to ensure that this scenario actually occurs. They really have no excuse for their behaviour, no matter what grievance they might have.

the illegaly car isn't the issue...it's the camera toting vigilante driving round a bend or corner without looking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

OP you will kill someone if you keep driving like that. That's worthy of Garda intervention tbh.

I'd be careful that one of those motorists that you almost run head on into don't take your reg, or have their own dashcam and report you to the Gardaí for dangerous driving and aggressive behaviour. Yes, the parked car is causing an obstruction on a junction.. but you are driving dangerously. The owner of the parked car might get a slap on the wrist or even a ticket... You might get a driving ban.

.... But at least you'll be "in the right"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,574 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Wow OP - you really are a very dangerous driver! Hopefully I'll never meet you on a road - or even a blind corner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Do we, as road users, have an obligation to report this guy/thread to traffic@garda.ie? I'm getting concerned about the safety of other people in his area if the above videos are typical of his driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

A part of driving is coming across situations like the junction the OP mentioned and proceeding with care.

The car is parked where it shouldn't be and is a danger. The OP knows this yet continues to proceed through the junction in a more aggressive manner instead of slowing down and expecting the unexpected.

The argument that the parked car is in the wrong so the OP can continue to try to cause a crash is ridiculous.

No one is giving out about reporting it to the Gardai, the giving out is about the OPs continued dangerous driving. The OP knows there is a car there and refuses to take any care. Actually it's the opposite, they are trying to cause a crash.

• Advertisement
Advertisement