Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo S40 D2

Options
  • 27-05-2013 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

Lads,

Thinking of import a volvo S40 D2 R-Design from the UK. I'm interested in experiences good and bad. Does anyone on here own one?

What is the engine like, the D2 is new 1.6 diesel. Does it feel underpowered or adequate, etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

declan123 wrote: »
    Lads,

Thinking of import a volvo S40 D2 R-Design from the UK. I'm interested in experiences good and bad. Does anyone on here own one?

What is the engine like, the D2 is new 1.6 diesel. Does it feel underpowered or adequate, etc?

The D2 feels a lot better to drive than the old 1.6d, even though it's the same engine. 6 Speed box with the D2 makes a big difference.

R-Design is a styling kit and does look very good on the S40 - even better on the V50 in my opinion.

Make sure there is a full, verifiable, service history on anything that you are looking to import, and that it's been serviced either on the button or before. That engine is not at all forgiving if servicing hasn't been done on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

Cheers ROR, Great to hear its better to drive, I've driven the s40 in the old 1.6D format and wasn't overly impressed by the power plant.

I'll check the service history. does anybody know is the D2 the same PSA engine that is in the focus, 308, etc, etc?

declan123 wrote: »
    Cheers ROR, Great to hear its better to drive, I've driven the s40 in the old 1.6D format and wasn't overly impressed by the power plant.

I'll check the service history. does anybody know is the D2 the same PSA engine that is in the focus, 308, etc, etc?

It is the PSA unit in the Volvo.

If you can find one, and it's not much more expensive, I'd be looking for a D3 model. The 2.0d model was pretty nippy, and the D3 is more powerful - that's Volvo's own 5 cylinder engine. Think it was late 2010 when that was available, although there were shortages with the D3, so you might even be lucky and find a D4.

D2 was band A for emissions. 114g for the standard models, 104g for the Stop/Start - not sure whether there was a Stop/Start R-Design. It's not on the Irish price list, and even that has emissions all over the place.

D3 looks like emissions were 134g, but the D4 was the same emissions. D3 had 150bhp and the D4 had 177bhp - which is pretty damn rapid in a car that size. Fuel consumption wouldn't be massively different in day to day driving, and if it's mainly motorway usage, the D3/D4 might even be slightly better.

Thanks again,

The D2 is working out very favorable on VRT (about 3k or so for an 11 reg), the C02 is 114, it doesn't have stop start. Will look into the higher output version as well.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Since vrt and motor tax are based on Co2 emissions I would try and find the nicer 2.0 D3 model.

• Advertisement

Would love to, but the C02 is almost 1k more for the D3
    bazz26 wrote: »
    Since vrt and motor tax are based on Co2 emissions I would try and find the nicer 2.0 D3 model.

Anyone currently own one of these, what are they like to live with. Hope to deal tomorrow all going well

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Any luck getting a D2 or D3 S40 in the end op? Looking at importing a v50 r design from uk myself and thinking it might be better to stretch to the newer d2 or d3 instead of the older versions...anyone know is the D2 any way more reliable that the 1.6d drive model..same engine but better gearbox??

Yep, I got an 2011 s40 D2 R design.

The 1.6 D2 is definitely better than the old 1.6 d version. It feels quicker and its more refined. Happy enough with it thus far but now looking to upgrade to s60 d3 r-design.

Cheers.

I was steering more towards a 2.0D or D3 engine but reading online the mpg doesn't seem to be great as might be expected...40-45mpg whereas the 1.6 seems to be much better on that front. Having read so much about the 1.6 PSA engines I was reluctant to get one but if the newer D2 V50 is a better bet it might be a runner. Will keep looking so...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

What kind of driving are you going to be doing Squeaksoutloud?

The D2 is good on juice, I get consistently over 50 mpg in a mix of heavy city traffic and motorway driving.

Sobanek wrote: »
    What kind of driving are you going to be doing Squeaksoutloud?

Plenty of motorway and rural roads hence need for diesel. Two small dogs so was looking at compact estates. Have considered BMW 3 series also but swinging more towards the Volvo at the moment. Have considered x-type touring Skoda C5 but like the v50 now.

Plenty of motorway and rural roads hence need for diesel. Two small dogs so was looking at compact estates. Have considered BMW 3 series also but swinging more towards the Volvo at the moment. Have considered x-type touring Skoda C5 but like the v50 now.

I'd definately be looking for a D3/D4 in that case. Fuel won't be that much worse than the D2 (may even be better if the motorway driving is generally at 120km/h), and it will be a lot safer for overtaking on rural roads.

I haven't ruled anything out yet and still doing my research as have a few weeks before I am going to buy.

I was thinking of just getting a slightly older 2.0D version so was stretching myself even thinking of the D2 let alone the D3/D4 versions. After reading about the various engines though I am tempted to go with the newer engines as they seem better. D3 would be nice though if I can manage it. Budget was €12k but thinking maybe €15k to get to D3 engines.

Such a lack of decent estates here to even test drive or have a look at but will try my best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

The 2.0l diesel is a five pot Volvo unit and it's a smasher. I tried it in my brother's 2010 C30 and it just feels quick and the rev range is lovely and wide which is unusual in a diesel. His is badged D4 which makes little sense to me as my S60 is a D5 which I always thought related to the number of cylinders.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the engine designation has changed in recent times on Volvos. The S40/V50 were kind of being phased out when they decided to change the diesel badging.

S40/V50:

2004 to 2010:
    1.6d - 4 cylinder - 110bhp
    2.0d - 4 cylinder - 140bhp
    D5 - 2.4 5 cylinder - 180bhp

2010 - 2012:
    D2 - 1.6 4 cylinder - 115bhp
    D3 - 2.0 5 cylinder - 150bhp
    D4 - 2.0 5 cylinder - 177bhp

On the current S60/V60 the D3 and D4 2.0 litre 5 cylinder diesel engines have been replaced recently by new 2.0 litre 4 cylinder versions with more bhp and lower emissions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

bazz26 wrote: »

On the current S60/V60 the D3 and D4 2.0 litre 5 cylinder diesel engines have been replaced recently by new 2.0 litre 4 cylinder versions with more bhp and lower emissions.

Those new engines look ridiculously good (for diesels). The manual D4 has 99g/km CO2 emissions in the S60. 178bhp, 295lb ft of torque, 0-100 in 7.4sec and ~70mpg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I'm on the lookout too for an S40 diesel, 2.0L rather then 1.6 (had a few issues with my current Focus 1.6 unit). Would the D4 be much of an upgrade on the D3? I'm looking for reliability, good MPG and a bit of zip (who isn't?). I'm seriously looking at going the UK to get one, all the S40's over here are 1.6. Not a huge cost saving going over there mind you.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    I'm on the lookout too for an S40 diesel, 2.0L rather then 1.6 (had a few issues with my current Focus 1.6 unit). Would the D4 be much of an upgrade on the D3? I'm looking for reliability, good MPG and a bit of zip (who isn't?). I'm seriously looking at going the UK to get one, all the S40's over here are 1.6. Not a huge cost saving going over there mind you.

Did you get one sorted mayoforsam? Can you pm me any details on where you got it.looking to head over myself in the next few weeks...prob for the d3 or d4 if I could find one within budget. I guess buying over the phone leave little room if any for bargaining on asking price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Did you get one sorted mayoforsam? Can you pm me any details on where you got it.looking to head over myself in the next few weeks...prob for the d3 or d4 if I could find one within budget. I guess buying over the phone leave little room if any for bargaining on asking price?

Yes, I got what I was looking for, see http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057150343, PM sent.

Advertisement