Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Volvo s40 1.6 diesel

Options
  • 16-02-2014 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Looking at a 2011 volvo s40 1.6 diesel. It would be a family car doing about 20k km a year. What are people's opinions on this car in terms if mpg, cost of maintenance, cost of car tax, comfort of driving etc.? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,167 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I had a 2006 S40 1.6d. It's a fairly heavy car and was on the sluggish side. I'd try and find a 2.0d if I was buying another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

bazz26 wrote: »
    I had a 2006 S40 1.6d. It's a fairly heavy car and was on the sluggish side. I'd try and find a 2.0d if I was buying another one.

I think the 2011 ones would be 125bhp instead of 110. Big enough car, but it wouldn't be hugely slow. I drove the 110 in the C5 for a long while and it wasn't bad, could have done with a 6th gear but it still was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

They're an absolute miser on diesel. Find them comfy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,167 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If it is the newer D2 engine then they are 115bhp and 6 speed. S40 is small though being based on the Focus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

I'd try to find a D3 if I were you - 5 cylinder, 150bhp - very nice indeed.
    D2 is sluggish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

I just bought an S40 R-Design in the UK last week, smashing motor, plenty of mod cons, new D4 2L engine, 177 bhp. Had to go there to get the larger (and better) engine, almost everything over here is 1.6. I'm commuting 50 miles a day each way to work and I wanted a nice, comfy motor. Seems pretty good on diesel too, getting very close to 50 mpg so far.

My tax for the year is €280, only €80 more than the 1.6. Don't understand why people constantly go for a lower tax, under-powered vehicle in this country.

Advertisement