Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What makes a premium car/brand?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CorkMan_ wrote: »
    I have a Citroen C6. It's definitely not a premium brand but it is certainly a premium car. But once people see the Citroen badge they don't see premium. Which imo just reinforces badge snobbery.
    Not all of us. The C6 is a seriously impressive car and would impress me way more than any Merc, BMW etc. They are also very rare (although I saw one yesterday). How many Boardsies can say they drive around in the same car as a president of a prominent European country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

SBPhoto wrote: »
    Philb76 wrote: »
    300 euro for an oil and filter change with a cup of tea or coffee whilst you wait
    For what make of Car??

Friends Audi an a6 few years ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Philb76 wrote: »
    300 euro for an oil and filter change with a cup of tea or coffee whilst you wait

Lol! Or do it for fifty odd euro yourself. I’m not saying I’d do it on a newer car due to resale value, but there comes a point where paying some obscene amount for an apprentice to change your oil, is just a tad wasteful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

carsfan2 wrote: »
    A comment on another thread as to how main stream car makers are offering the exact same if not better product than what are considered “premium” manufacturers like Mercedes, BMW, Audi got me wondering what makes a car premium.
    When I was younger premium cars were more expensive but better built and offered equipment not available on others cars. They could have bigger engines if desired and were not as common. They also held their value better than run of the mill cars.

Nowadays it seems the majority of cars are reliable and well built. They offer the same equipment as premium and a multitude of engine options.
    All new cars lose a chunk in depreciation regardless of manufacturer too.
    Finance packages make all cars more attainable nowadays too and premium brands are as common as any other cars on the road.
    Some premium brands have big glass palaces to sell you their cars but does this influence us?
    What are people’s feelings as to what makes a car or brand premium or upmarket nowadays? Is it snob value alone or is a merc etc really a better car?

When I was growing up in the 80’s very few people drove cars like Bmw’s and Mercedes and there really was a big difference in quality between the average car like an Opel Ascona or a Ford Sierra. Also rarity made them that bit more special.
    I think that all changed forever in the 00’s as the premium brands made cheaper cars and car finance became more available so if you drove a BMW it was nothing special anymore.
    Obviously large 6 & 8 cylinder salons are not really sold in number any more and the vast majority are 2.0 four cylinder diesels.
    If you look at it objectively a 520d is still a nicer place to be than a non premium 2.0 diesel but the gap is much closer than it once was. Dynamically the difference is minimal or none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,009 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

maddness wrote: »
    When I was growing up in the 80’s very few people drove cars like Bmw’s and Mercedes and there really was a big difference in quality between the average car like an Opel Ascona or a Ford Sierra. Also rarity made them that bit more special....
    In the early 1980's I was a pump attendant at a busy forecourt. The vast majority of customers had mundane 'everyday' cars. Funny I don't recall any 3 or 5 series BMW's but just the magnificent 6 series especially the 635!. The others that stood out were the Mercedes W116 series and the Jaguar 5.4 V12. The premium brands really were poles apart from the great unwashed then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭Old diesel

NIMAN wrote: »
    Would it be safe to say that the lower/medium brands are making better cars than they did years ago, and the top brands are making lesser cars than they did a few decades ago?

This would close the gap.

This i think sums up the situation very well.

But I would add the caveat of "by the standards of the era".

A 2019 E class is a superior car to a 1983 W123.

However in the W123 era the Mercedes had a much bigger lead in quality vs normal brands of the 1983 era.

In 2019 however a Skoda Superb is MUCH closer to today's E class Merc then the 1983 Skoda Estelle is to a 1983 W123.

In the late 80s the case for going for a 2nd hand W123 for the best quality vs a new normal brand was very strong if you were keen on a top quality car.

Carina IIs were great but for some drivers might feel very lightweight in the bodywork - especially the way doors close. A lightweight feel*.

The Mercedes would feel extremely substantial*.

*in reality the Carina was a lot closer to the Merc in long term ownership then this commentry implies. Says a lot for the Carina in fact that you could even mention its greatness while simultaneously talking W123 Merc quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I am on my forth car and in my mid 40s first car I had was a Fiesta second one was a Primera, The reason I got rid of the Primera at the time was that it was a 15 year old car nothing wrong with it as I had it serviced regularly.
    But trying to insure it was a nightmare due to the age of the car, Years ago while doing the zero hour contract work I would pass by an Audi garage and would say to myself that some day hopefully if I got a good full time job that I would buy one.
    So the day came that I got a really good job and about two weeks into working at my company, I saw a nice A4 for sale so I organized a test drive and decided there and then to buy it the car was so comfortable and refined compared to the Primera.
    I have since moved on to the A6 Quattro and love it, I am not one for looking down their nose at what people drive smaller cars as I once did myself and the aul lad still drives a fiesta.

Advertisement