Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Jacob Rees-Mogg fans here?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,363 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Geuze wrote: »

He is a welcome antidote to the dumbing-down of society.

Even if the political event which he's allied himself too is one of the most fundamentally stupid of modern times?

You can't be really considered an antidote to society's dumbing down if utter you nothing but stupid opportunistic soundbites about a complex issue.

The man is a self-serving fool.

Well this is a good point.

In a society where we are expected to conform to a 'progressive' agenda, Rees-Mogg remains principled.

That is a good trait to have.

Principled my arse. His principle is making money. If he could make more by being "progressive" then progressive he'd be.

Any Irish person who claims to like him is a troll, idiot, ignoramous or has no knowledge or appreciation of any kind of history.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Well this is a good point.

In a society where we are expected to conform to a 'progressive' agenda, Rees-Mogg remains principled.

That is a good trait to have.

If profiting from misery is principled then I'd question your moral compass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

The Beano have issued a Cease and Desist for copyright reasons to the right honourable member for the 18th century.

DZ3iuKvW0AAyLp8.jpg:large
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DZ3iuKvW0AAyLp8.jpg:large

Is the Beano still going ?
    I used to love that comic when I was a kid ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I think a lot of people underestimate how popular this lad’s routine could be in an election. I don’t think he’ll ever lead the Tories, but I think he would have appeal across the swathes of society. There’s always been a craven section of the working class in this country who go mad for the ‘quaint English gentleman’ routine, the type of people who buy Royal Family commemoration plates.

I can see how he has a certain charisma but the man’s politics are abhorrent. As someone earlier said he’s a disaster capitalist. It’s all well and good laughing at his top hat until he scraps the minimum wage, plunged millions into poverty and sells of the NHS in favour of private health insurance nobody can afford. The type of policies he’s pushing forward are actively killing people in the UK today and ruining the lives of many more.

• Advertisement

kneemos wrote: »
    Not as odious as Boris in fairness. Their country and party come a very distant second place to the pursuit of power for these characters.

There's two of them in it. Both snakeoil salesmen pulling the wool further over the eyes of millions of stunningly ignorant people who have been fed EU-scapegoating lies for decades by their oligarch-controlled Tory media and the Tory political class which gave them so much power (by, for instance, removing media ownership restrictions in the early 1980s).

Never a mention of the same Tory political class pushing globalisation, immigration/cheap labour costs, intensification of the centralisation of the English economy on London and further decline of the regions, low taxes for the rich meaning heavier taxes for the PAYE-paying classes and so, so much else.

Or that in 2004 the British government actually got an opt out from EU restrictions on immigration from the new EU countries like Poland to allow the Poles etc to immigrate to Britain straight away. Crazily, they have succeeded in blaming the EU for that entirely British decision to import cheap Polish labour asap and keep costs low (i.e. undermine demands for wage increases by the same English working class who are now swallowing this populist rubbish from English arch globalists who have started to drape themselves in the Union Jack). The ignorance is abject, as is the gullibility.

These two ugh characters are part of the greatest scapegoating in Europe since Germany in the 1930s. It's quite disturbing to watch an entire nation in 2018 be hoodwinked by a big lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

kneemos wrote: »
    Alfred is the worst of the bunch Imo. Sixtus is an oddity at least.

But Alfred in 2018?

#ALFIESARMY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Or that in 2004 the British government actually got an opt out from EU restrictions on immigration from the new EU countries like Poland to allow the Poles etc to immigrate to Britain straight away. Crazily, they have succeeded in blaming the EU for that entirely British decision to import cheap Polish labour asap and keep costs low (i.e. undermine demands for wage increases by the same English working class who are now swallowing this populist rubbish from English arch globalists who have started to drape themselves in the Union Jack). The ignorance is abject, as is the gullibility.

That opt out clause wasn’t invoked by Ireland either. Do you think it was politically possible at the time?

But Rees Moog is indeed very right wing.

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/24926/jacob_rees-mogg/north_east_somerset/votes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Anselm & Sixtus are condemned by name, might as well sport a pink toilet seat around your neck through childhood.

I’m sure they’ll be ok in Eton.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I have no beef with these politicians as I don't see them as part of my world.

I do recall some staunch and unexpected hatred in certain pockets of Scotland though for Ms. Sturgeon - a hatred more fitting for Myra Hyndley or Rose West.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Anyone who names a child Sixtus deserves a good slap.
    'Tis a good Catholic name. Very Sistine. And what else would you call your sixth child?

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

ArtSmart wrote: »
    They don't mean to
    But they do

They fill you with the cash they had, and add some extra, just for you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Bambi wrote: »
    As a british journo said hes catholic because protestantism is still a bit too nouveau for him

Actually the more likely reason is that he has a bit of Irish in him. :eek::eek:

His dad, the former editor of The Times, William Rees-Mogg was a Catholic because his mother was an Irish American (nee Warren) of the Old Faith.

I don't know how much further back his Irishness goes but the Catholic strain has remained intact.

Unless of course Anselm and Sixtus evolve into hedonistic drinking,drug taking, fightin' and shaggin' rebels in the fullness of time. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

He's a dapper gentleman, don't you know old chap.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Actually the more likely reason is that he has a bit of Irish in him. :eek::eek:

His dad, the former editor of The Times, William Rees-Mogg was a Catholic because his mother was an Irish American (nee Warren) of the Old Faith.

I don't know how much further back his Irishness goes but the Catholic strain has remained intact.

Unless of course Anselm and Sixtus evolve into hedonistic drinking,drug taking, fightin' and shaggin' rebels in the fullness of time. :)

With names like these, they'd have every right to. We can always hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Someone asked here does he ham up the poshness, of course he does. It plays well to the particular audience he speaks to, those that defer to the nobility. While the UK is a modern country, the class system still echos strongly through society and playing into this is what JRM does.

There is of course class here too, but it is less embedded, with most families only two or three generations from peasantry.

I can see however that JRM is a good orator and has a decent understanding of the policies he believes in. He is also excellent at avoiding tough questioning and his calm manner can dismantle angry opposition much more readily than thoughtful probing of his beliefs.

And it's his beliefs that are what are completely objectionable. He seems to promote a laissez faire attitude, prominent among the ruling elite in the 1850s, which was thoroughly discredited and the source of great misery in Ireland.

And his Brexit will bring hardship to many in the UK...

That opt out clause wasn’t invoked by Ireland either. Do you think it was politically possible at the time?

Probably not for us because we share a common travel area with Britain. However, unlike Britain England Ireland hasn't developed a powerful Europhobic political and media class that continues to successfully scapegoat the EU for homegrown policies such as that 2004 decision. Thank God for small mercies. Even the most obtuse Irish person can see that if the EU isn't there it's back to Ireland being at the mercy of England so Europhobia will find it difficult to take off among Irish nationalists (but easy to take off among British unionists in Ireland).

Despite the massive historical revisionism in Britain today, the British Home Secretary in 2004, Jack Straw, admitted this was the fault of British politicians like himself and not the EU - a reality which is totally buried in 2018 and the EU are scapegoated for this:

Jack Straw has admitted that opening Britain's borders to Eastern European migrants was a "spectacular mistake".

The former Labour Home Secretary said his party's decision to allow migrants from Poland and Hungary to work in Britain from 2004 was a ‘"well-intentioned policy we messed up".

It comes a day after David Blunkett, Mr Straw's successor as Home secretary, warned British cities could face riots as an influx of Roma migrants creates "frictions" with local people.

The last Labour government predicted that only 13,000 would move to Britain from Poland and other eastern European countries after 2004.

However, more than one million arrived in one of the biggest waves of immigration seen in this country.
    Almost every other EU state, apart from Ireland and Sweden, prevented migrants from working for the seven years permitted.

Mr Straw, who is MP for Blackburn, told the Lancashire Telegraph: "One spectacular mistake in which I participated (not alone) was in lifting the transitional restrictions on the Eastern European states like Poland and Hungary which joined the EU in mid-2004.

"Other existing EU members, notably France and Germany, decided to stick to the general rule which prevented migrants from these new states from working until 2011.

"'But we thought that it would be good for Britain if these folk could come and work here from 2004.

"Thorough research by the Home Office suggested that the impact of this benevolence would in any event be 'relatively small, at between 5,000 and 13,000 immigrants per year up to 2010'. Events proved these forecasts worthless.

"Net migration reached close to a quarter of a million at its peak in 2010. Lots of red faces, mine included."

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

'Tis a good Catholic name. Very Sistine. And what else would you call your sixth child?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,243 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Probably not for us because we share a common travel area with Britain. However, unlike Britain England Ireland hasn't developed a powerful Europhobic political and media class that continues to successfully scapegoat the EU for homegrown policies such as that 2004 decision. Thank God for small mercies. Even the most obtuse Irish person can see that if the EU isn't there it's back to Ireland being at the mercy of England so Europhobia will find it difficult to take off among Irish nationalists (but easy to take off among British unionists in Ireland).

Despite the massive historical revisionism in Britain today, the British Home Secretary in 2004, Jack Straw, admitted this was the fault of British politicians like himself and not the EU - a reality which is totally buried in 2018 and the EU are scapegoated for this:

It's easy for Straw to hide behind the projections, but within a few months of accession it was clear the UK was proving to be a greater draw than that, so they could've acted then. Iirc, the UK economy was ticking along nicely at the time so they felt they needed the workers.

The UK was always going to be a massive draw when the other big European countries kept the restrictions.

Ireland didn't use the opt out for several reasons:
    The country was at near full employment and needed workers to control wage inflation
    Ireland needed to rebuild political capital with the accession countries and Europe in general after the rejection of Nice 1.
    The common travel area meant it would be difficult to police if immigration policy was out of step with the UK.

manster wrote: »
    Fun fact that I didn't know. He is a practising Catholic.

If they've any prominent position in British English society and they happen to be Catholic, the very first fact you will find out is their religious denomination.

Do a sample test of any random English Protestant and English Catholic in Wikipedia. How often do Protestant English people have their religious denomination mentioned in an article? Never? (outside Protestant religious figures)

Now, find a Catholic English person - "Duke of Norfolk" is the great 'Catholic noble' of English history - and search their article. It does give an insight into a still-current English cultural value that an English person's religion is deemed worthy of mentioning when they're Catholic but not when they're Protestant. There's no malice in it as such (I hope), but it's definitely noteworthy that their Catholicism is invariably important enough to mention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,374 ✭✭✭✭elperello

That's what happens when you have a State religon.

Queen Elizabeth 11 is Supreme Governor of the Church of England.

If they've any prominent position in British English society and they happen to be Catholic, the very first fact you will find out is their religious denomination.

Do a sample test of any random English Protestant and English Catholic in Wikipedia. How often do Protestant English people have their religious denomination mentioned in an article? Never? (outside Protestant religious figures)

Now, find a Catholic English person - "Duke of Norfolk" is the great 'Catholic noble' of English history - and search their article. It does give an insight into a still-current English cultural value that an English person's religion is deemed worthy of mentioning when they're Catholic but not when they're Protestant. There's no malice in it as such (I hope), but it's definitely noteworthy that their Catholicism is invariably important enough to mention.

Why do you keep writing British and crossing it out? it looks stupid.

Aegir wrote: »
    Why do you keep writing British and crossing it out? it looks stupid.

Undoubtedly it does to a Unionist like yourself. Here's a helpful map for anybody who wants to equate the views of the majority of people in England on Brexit/English nationalist issues with the views of the majority in, say, Scotland or Northern Ireland. You keep propagating your "United" kingdom myths there, though. Division, everywhere. Just count the days until the English nationalists ditch British nationalists like yourself and the DUP. And they absolutely will. The Boris Johnson, Rees-Mogg etc types may still say "Britain", but it's becoming clear to everybody that they really mean "England".

image.png

Undoubtedly it does to a Unionist like yourself. Here's a helpful map for anybody who wants to equate the views of the majority of people in England on Brexit/English nationalist issues with the views of the majority in, say, Scotland or Northern Ireland. You keep propagating your "United" kingdom myths there, though. Division, everywhere. Just count the days until the English nationalists ditch British nationalists like yourself and the DUP. And they absolutely will.

image.png

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The same happens here for Protestants. I often hear that Sam Maguire was a Protestant, whereas the religion of prominent Catholics in the GAA is not remarked on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Aegir wrote: »
    What?
    Loons gonna loon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

He's a gowl.

But people will take his bullshhit seriously because sure tis all a big laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Undoubtedly it does to a Unionist like yourself. Here's a helpful map for anybody who wants to equate the views of the majority of people in England on Brexit/English nationalist issues with the views of the majority in, say, Scotland or Northern Ireland. You keep propagating your "United" kingdom myths there, though. Division, everywhere. Just count the days until the English nationalists ditch British nationalists like yourself and the DUP. And they absolutely will. The Boris Johnson, Rees-Mogg etc types may still say "Britain", but it's becoming clear to everybody that they really mean "England".

image.png

...and Holyhead, Anglesea voted 'Out'. Cutting off their nose to spite their face, comes to mind.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    ...and Holyhead, Anglesea voted 'Out'. Cutting off their nose to spite their face, comes to mind.

as did the majority of people in Wales Britain or should it be Britain Wales or maybe it should be England Britain Wales.

Its so hard to keep up with his ramblings sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 pen123

Advertisement