Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Jacob Rees-Mogg fans here?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

prinzeugen wrote: »
    There a few politicians I would like that to happen to. Nicola Sturgeon and Jeremy Corbyn for starts.

Christ. What a sick thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Name me someone with a double-barreled surname that isn’t a twat?

Michael Healy-Rae.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭elperello

To get back to Rees-Mogg, himself and Boris put me in mind of Lord Snooty and Billy Bunter.

It is unfortunate for them that many people think likewise and dismiss them on that basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Cheers, not the reaction I wanted to a genuine and honest desire of mine.

Jaysis.

You're an awful human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Comhra wrote: »
    Michael Healy-Rae.

I think you'd find many who would disagree with that opinion, myself included. And I'd add his brother in too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Cheers, not the reaction I wanted to a genuine and honest desire of mine.

You do have weird fantasies. And it's such an insult to anyone who has died or is suffering from cancer.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

There a few politicians I would like that to happen to. Nicola Sturgeon and Jeremy Corbyn for starts.

Wow bit harsh prinzeugen, those two have done nothing of note either good or bad yet to raise your ire. Why not Cameron, Blair or some of our lot :D

On Mogg as preposterous as he is, its good to see a 20th century Tory the rest are stuck in the 19th!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

He’s another in an ever growing list of almost fictional characters that have somehow come to prominence in varying levels of importance through identity politics. Like Trump, Farage, Trudeau, Zappone...
    The world has gotten very weird.

Like him or not he's a smart dude, I think despite his retro image he's pretty clued into a certain part of the modern Zeitgeist, the fact that there is a thread here shows how successfully he has used his image e.g responding to protesters so on and social media management e.g the video of him being shown memes about himself, considering at the end of the day he's actually only been a rebellious backbencher for the last 8 years, he has also grown his already substantial lump of cash a lot

Not a fan of his politics though

I tend to like the sardonic wit of the British upper classes and I have known some in my life, as I managed to get into a grad program at one of the elite English colleges. And if you aren’t a threat they like or at least tolerate you. Not that I ever got invited clay shooting.

But they are definitely not as smart as they think, , or people think. There’s something about both the elite British accent and their use of language that tends to make people infer an intelligence that isn’t there.

The 40 letter writers, the Brexit buccaneers are all clowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

His nickname is 'The Right Honourable Member for the 17th Century' due to his traditional views.

He is a brilliant orator. I've seen him take Dimbleby apart on Question Time with a few well-delivered jibes.

He would take Britain back to the days of Empire, but they're long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

AllForIt wrote: »
    You do have weird fantasies. And it's such an insult to anyone who has died or is suffering from cancer.

Not really. What, 30% of us will die from cancer so I'd like him to be one and sooner rather than later. This might negate some of the huge damage that he's trying to do.

Not really. What, 30% of us will die from cancer so I'd like him to be one and sooner rather than later. This might negate some of the huge damage that he's trying to do.

100% of people will die. Wishing death or a horrible illness on anybody is sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Am I a fan of JRM? No. Most definitely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I like him for the part he is playing in tearing the Conservative Party in two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

No, I'd be happy to see him die from cancer.
    cnut of the highest and may he die unloved mocked and in agonies
    What the heck have any of them done to deserve that?!

I mean Rees Mogg's views are too conservative for me (although he's entitled to hold them) and I'm opposed to Brexit, but I think a lot of the anti Rees Mogg press is kinda bandwagon-ish. There is a huge love and need for pantomime villains. He is not that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Saw this thread, and my first thought was, salve festa dies toto venerabilis aevo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Saw this thread, and my first thought was, salve festa dies toto venerabilis aevo.
    Oh god yeah me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

An uncanny resemblance to a young devalara is moggy in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I like him for the part he is playing in tearing the Conservative Party in two.

I would generally agree, but the problem they have in Britain is that there isn't anything any better to replace them with. Labour is equally fragmented and has issues of its own. As it stands I don't think either of them are fit to be in government.

• Advertisement

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    His nickname is 'The Right Honourable Member for the 17th Century' due to his traditional views.

He is a brilliant orator. I've seen him take Dimbleby apart on Question Time with a few well-delivered jibes.

He would take Britain back to the days of Empire, but they're long gone.

Speaking of being taken apart, Anna Soubrey basically filleted him in the HoC a few months back in a Brexit debate. This clown has few if any redeeming features. His politics make as much sense as Walter Mitty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

No, I'd be happy to see him die from cancer.

You probably need to dumb-down your username

TheRabble or Something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

His kids seem complete twats as well.

6 kids aged from eleven to one, seem like complete twats? And you the one wishing cancer and death on their father.

His politics seem **** but play the ball not the man and his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

boggerman1 wrote: »
    An uncanny resemblance to a young devalara is moggy in my opinion.
    Walter the Softy.

stream_img.jpg

British politics needs Dennis the Menace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Zaph wrote: »
    I would generally agree, but the problem they have in Britain is that there isn't anything any better to replace them with. Labour is equally fragmented and has issues of its own. As it stands I don't think either of them are fit to be in government.

I'll take the current status quo for the next few months or so. This fall in sterling is doing me no harm at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭fiveleavesleft

endacl wrote: »
    Walter the Softy.

stream_img.jpg

British politics needs Dennis the Menace.

The Beast of Bolsover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

He represents a large section of society and does it very well. All sections of society need to be represented in political life
    Are you saying that without the Moggshite, the ultra wealthy "Old Etonian" crowd in the UK would be underrepresented in politics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

darlett wrote: »
    6 kids aged from eleven to one, seem like complete twats?

Considering their upbringing, they'll do well to avoid evolving into twats, albeit through no real fault of their own. Just as it wasn't Jacob Rees-Mogg's fault that he became a twat, given the fact that his father - William Rees-Mogg - was a known twat.

They twat you up, your mum and dad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

He is one smart guy, though. You dont become head of a research group if you dont know what you are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

He’s another in an ever growing list of almost fictional characters that have somehow come to prominence in varying levels of importance through identity politics. Like Trump, Farage, Trudeau, Zappone...
    The world has gotten very weird.
    Welcome to politics as sports - where policy means sweet feck all, so it becomes a game of "who's the biggest 'character' at the club in the party I support?" - With sweet feck all interest given into "why do I even support that club party in the first place?"

Advertisement