Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I bet you didnt know that

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Wibbs wrote: »
    SOS didn't mean "Save Our Souls" as it originated with the German navy and apparently came about because it's the easiest/most clear signal when using morse code.

You reminded me of another one.

Remember the old Nokia message tone?

De de de, deeeee deeeee, de de de

That is morse code for SMS

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

The sun is estimated to last another 4 billion years.
    The andromeda galaxy is coming straight at the milky way galaxy. They will collide before the sun dies.
    Our Sun orbits around the galatic core, just as earth orbits the sun...the structure of the galaxy is centered around a black hole

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

You reminded me of another one.

Remember the old Nokia message tone?

De de de, deeeee deeeee, de de de
    That is morse code for SMS

Are you thinking of this...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭Cartouche

At one point in the 1990s, 50% of all CDs produced worldwide were for AOL

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

It's this bad boy:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Cartouche wrote: »
    At one point in the 1990s, 50% of all CDs produced worldwide were for AOL

At what point? 9.43am to 9.45am on February 16th?

Actually, when they launched AOL 4.0 in 1998, AOL used ALL of the world-wide CD production for several weeks. No music CDs were manufactured during that period.

12+1 = 11+2, and "twelve plus one" is an anagram of "eleven plus two."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you want to hear Morse Code used creatively, have a listen to this instrumental song:

It's called YYZ, after the airport code for Toronto, where the band Rush are from. One of them is a private pilot, and he heard the airport beacon on the radio blasting out -.-- -.-- --.. over and over again, and thought "hmmm" ... :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A small group of Canadian Paratroopers stopped the Soviet advance into Northern Germany during WWII and stopped a potential Soviet takeover of Denmark.

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/world-war-ii/canadian-paratroopers-saved-denmark-soviet-occupation.html/2

During World War One, letters were the only real form of communication from the soldiers at the front to home
    12 million letters were delivered to the front every week
    Astonishingly, it only took two days for a letter from Britain to reach the front in France. The journey began at a purpose-built sorting depot in Regent's Park before being shipped to the trenches. By the end of the war, two billion letters and 114 million parcels had had been delivered

• Advertisement

During World War One, letters were the only real form of communication from the soldiers at the front to home
    Astonishingly, it only took two days for a letter from Britain to reach the front in France. The journey began at a purpose-built sorting depot in Regent's Park before being shipped to the trenches. By the end of the war, two billion letters and 114 million parcels had had been delivered

Impressive... I posted a card from Castlebellingham, Co. Louth in September 2015 to Dublin and it still hasn't arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,906 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ah the old days were the best. This technology age is rubbish.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't!
    and those who use ternary.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

prinzeugen wrote: »
    Why is this a good idea? Hotmail/Outlook are at this crap as well. The postman does not open and read my mail or make a decision about "what's important" before he sticks it through the letterbox so why the flying feck should google or hotmail??

OK I'll explain as you obviously don't understand, it's nothing to do with importance. It basically like a mail rule but instead of filtering by who send it, it's filtered by who are they sending it to, you can control that part by what addresses you use and where. that is very helpful to a lot of people, how anyone calls extra functionality that is at the user's discretion crap, is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

30 is the new 20.

Your body sees alcohol as a poison, or at least as something it doesn't actually want inside it. To fight back, and sober you up, humans produce an enzyme called alcohol dehydrogenase.

That enzyme gets its shot at your alcohol when it attempts to pass through the stomach lining, and when it reaches your liver, primarily. On contact, it snatches a hydrogen atom off the ethanol molecules in your drink, rendering it into non-intoxicating acetaldehyde. Humans can then use aldehyde dehydrogenase as a kind of clean-up crew, breaking down the acetaldehyde that's sometimes considered a cause of hangovers, along with dehydration.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

RobertKK wrote: »
    While around 10% of Irish people have red hair (ginger) 46% of Irish people carry the red hair genes.
    If both parents carry red hair genes, their offspring have a 25% of having red hair.

Is there any kind of scientific for checking potential suitors for prevalence of the gene?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭BrianG23

I'm stuck with that gene, "ginger'. You can see the ginger beard in alot of irish, brown hair/blond hair and a gingey beard. I just have gingerish hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Is there any kind of scientific for checking potential suitors for prevalence of the gene?

Have a look to see do the carpets match the curtains?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭Winterlong

Lego make more tyres than any other manufacturer. At 380 million tyres per year they make twice as many as the 2nd biggest manufacturer (Bridgestone)

• Advertisement

Before he was a famous director, Quentin Tarantino once played an Elvis impersonator on The Golden Girls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

You can eat Japanese Knotweed when the shoots are young. It's a bit like chicken rhubarb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Have a look to see do the carpets match the curtains?

What if its wall to wall lino?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭GritBiscuit

Most people have never heard of Dr. Eugene Shoemaker - let alone realise that he's the only person to have their ashes scattered on a celestial body other than the earth.

Shoemaker was pivotal in pioneering the field of astrogeology by founding the Astrogeology Research Program of the United States Geological Survey in 1961 at Flagstaff, Arizona. Among other things Shoemaker helped train American astronauts, was prominent in the study of impact craters and discovered several asteroid families during a decade long sky-survey. He never made it to the moon in his lifetime when he was disqualified from the Apollo missions due to being diagnosed with Addison's disease.

His ashes were placed on board the Lunar Prospector spacecraft before it was launched on January 6, 1998. NASA crashed the probe into a crater on the moon in an attempt to learn if there is water on the moon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Robineen

Another one related to my earlier post in the thread. Now, maybe this is common knowledge but when I was told this a few months ago, I was so surprised.

In the late 70s and early 80s, Tim Allen of 'Home Improvement' fame served time for drug trafficking after being caught with over a pound of cocaine at a US airport in 1978. He avoided possible life imprisonment by supplying the names of other dealers.

But I don't have a problem with his subsequent success or that of Gino D'Acampo, who I mentioned earlier. They paid their debt to society. They did the time and didn't reoffend. You'd have to admire them for moving on so well.

Robineen wrote: »
    <snip> But I don't have a problem with his subsequent success or that of Gino D'Acampo, who I mentioned earlier. They paid their debt to society. They did the time and didn't reoffend. You'd have to admire them for moving on so well.
    He stole Paul Young's guitars. I'd admire him more if he'd got a f**kin' job and kept out of people's houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭Robineen

He stole Paul Young's guitars. I'd admire him more if he'd got a f**kin' job and kept out of people's houses.

Obviously he was very wrong to do what he did. But my point was, he didn't get away with it. He was jailed and after that, he did get a job! And moving on after doing prison time is not easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,906 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

A Jeep (the basic version as seen in many a war movie from the past)

Means "Just Enough Essential Parts"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I thought it came from a GP (general purpose) vehicle. The jee-pee sound just got abbreviated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's a homonym of GP for General Purpose vehicles in WWII.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement