Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arcade and Retro forum beers! (AKA the night of the scandalously drunk retro geeks)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,850 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

First dibs if you are flogging it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Retr0gamer wrote: »

Maybe... Maybe... But you'd have to take the pile of excrement that is Bubble Bobble 4 Friends as well... Feck me that is an awful awful game

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭Inviere

If?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    If?

I miss Enternow, he was much much kinder

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'd be up for it, hopefully I can stay longer this time :)

• Advertisement

Everyone is welcome, just no hugging....
    Unless there's an effective anti-viral or vaccine, then...
    giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e475cd6f980af41b83de081ed126f305eddaef1620c&rid=giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Everyone is welcome, just no hugging....
    Unless there's an effective anti-viral or vaccine, then...
    giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e475cd6f980af41b83de081ed126f305eddaef1620c&rid=giphy.gif
    Crying-baby-girl-behind-glass-door-732x549-thumbnail.jpg?w=756&h=567

So,

There will probably be no chance of a in-person meet for the Xmas Beers this year, unless things get freakishly better in a very short space of time.

With that in mind, how do people feel or how willing might they be for an online event instead?

Now, it might not be as much fun but it would be great to actually see everyone again.

We could play our way through some stuff, or watch those that can actually stream play some stuff, some of you might be close enough to stretch to an in-person meet, as long as it is safe to do so.

Just throwing it out there and seeing what people might think or what ideas they might have.

Here's one,
    We could hire a cinema to play games on a giant screen, that would allow social distancing while still getting together...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,517 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That cinema idea would be excellent, have had it on the to do list for years! I wonder are any cinemas doing that at the mo?

o1s1n wrote: »
    That cinema idea would be excellent, have had it on the to do list for years! I wonder are any cinemas doing that at the mo?

As far as I know they are certainly renting them for private screenings, and some had an option for a hdmi input for gaming.
    Might be a way to make the Retron5 work for it's supper!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Perfect place to be during a lockdown.
    This one is better than Bury imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Ooo, meant to post that in the general thread. You all should have your next meetup in the Leeds and Bury over a Fri and Sat. Easily done.

So, Odeon cinemas just got back onto me.
    Looking for contact details.
    This might be a thing, depending on cost.
    So
    Early as it is
    I'm looking for December dates people can make work, not sure what the times are going to be like either...
    Exciting days indeed.
    So,
    Who would be willing to come?

Master of the Universe

Can stick me down as a definite! my entire December plans are a big fat nothing as of now and I can't see them changing any time soon..!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,850 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Stick me down for it as well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d potentially be interested, but (being very unhelpful :p) in general wouldn’t be super comfortable planning anything for the months ahead until I see where we’re at with the virus. If things are stable and relatively safe, I’d pop along - but would definitely be game for a virtual event, as it’s been a while :)

I figure a cinema screen would be large enough that we could be together, yet apart...
    Damn this war...
    But, yes, being safe is all important, so all is contingent on Ireland not looking like a localised version of the first chapter of The Stand...

I’d potentially be interested, but (being very unhelpful :p) in general wouldn’t be super comfortable planning anything for the months ahead until I see where we’re at with the virus. If things are stable and relatively safe, I’d pop along - but would definitely be game for a virtual event, as it’s been a while :)

Trumps says we will all be grand by November.

And Gemma O'Doherty says it's a hoax.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭Doge

Which Odeon cinema would it be in if it does go ahead?

Doge wrote: »
    Which Odeon cinema would it be in if it does go ahead?

I don't know, they've asked me which ones are my local, so I've two, Charlestown, in Finglas, and Coolock... in Coolock oddly enough...
    It could be very interesting if this is something to be pulled off, depending on price and the kind of connectivity.
    If they just toss a metres long hdmi cable out into the theatre, the Retron5 will work right away and it will be sweet.
    My PC would also do the trick, coupled with a bunch of Xbox One controllers, Saturn Bomberman via emulation on a movie screen!!!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Micro Machines multiplayer on the Megadrive on a cinema screen would be something else too. Rather excited about this!

I guess the key is in the prep work before hand getting stuff ready so you can just connect and go once you're there.

Get ambitions.

But we all know we will end up playing some garbage like Dinorex or Shaq Fu

Master of the Universe

Get ambitions.

But we all know we will end up playing some garbage like Dinorex or Shaq Fu

That Dinorex roar through a cinema sound system? :eek:

Obvs have to wait and see how stuff goes with the virus since I've so far to travel, doubt it tbh but I'd like to be optimistic.

Was chatting to Sparks tonight for ages about setting up a Discord meet if anyone's interested seems it'll work well, he'll play Knightmare Dizzy and we can watch/help he hasn't played before or we can play Switch games together like Mario Kart or Animal Crossing and he can stream it for everyone else to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

Definitely interested but we'll have to see how things are by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

o1s1n wrote: »
    That Dinorex roar through a cinema sound system? :eek:

Have a dinorex pcb ready to go, it's ridiculously terribly brilliantly crap awesome.

Would love to go to this but the way things are you can't plan ahead tying your shoelaces. Still, if someone is on the ball at least the possibility exists :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭MrVestek

I'm down. I can bring a Raspberry Pi loaded with games too, if that helps?

Obvs have to wait and see how stuff goes with the virus since I've so far to travel, doubt it tbh but I'd like to be optimistic.

Was chatting to Sparks tonight for ages about setting up a Discord meet if anyone's interested seems it'll work well, he'll play Knightmare Dizzy and we can watch/help he hasn't played before or we can play Switch games together like Mario Kart or Animal Crossing and he can stream it for everyone else to watch.
    Link is set up, we can use Sparks SMK tourney Discord, can be used on mobile too, have been using that for ages before my PC to play Call of Cthulu with Dinorex, so just lemme know who to DM it to

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I’m game for the traditional Xmas beers virtual or otherwise!

• Advertisement

I got a message back from the Odeon group to say I should expect contact from the Charlestown and Coolock managers on the idea.
    Fingers crossed it can work and won't cost a fortune

Advertisement