Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Legal car plates with manufacter logo?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭walshtipp

I'm guessing these plates would fail an NCT https://www.german-pressed-plates.com/Carbon_look_German_Pressed_Plates_x2_with_Black_Flag_Logo_Choice/p2062931_20169131.aspx ? I've seen them around on the roads but I presume the way it works is you take them off before an NCT and replace them with legal ones? Bit of a faff if that's the case or am I wrong?

You can find the exact regulations here http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1990/si/287/made/en/print

But yes, they would most likely fail the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1990/si/287/made/en/print

2. ( a ) The plate on which an identification mark is exhibited shall not contain any words, letters, numbers, emblems or other marks of any kind other than those required under this Part.

3. The plate on which an identification mark is exhibited shall exhibit the appropriate placename as set out in paragraph 4 of this Part, the flag of the European Communities and the letters IRL all of which shall be arranged in conformity with this Part.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

Garda can stop you and give you ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I'm guessing these plates would fail an NCT https://www.german-pressed-plates.com/Carbon_look_German_Pressed_Plates_x2_with_Black_Flag_Logo_Choice/p2062931_20169131.aspx ? I've seen them around on the roads but I presume the way it works is you take them off before an NCT and replace them with legal ones? Bit of a faff if that's the case or am I wrong?

Donegal?
    I find that where most of this nonsense is located.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Op the german style font shouldn't be illegal. Why not get a dash instead of the decal, and a sticker of your car manufacturer logo (or favourite premier league team) you can stick over the dash? It would look awesome and you could peel it off for the nct.

• Advertisement

bobbyy gee wrote: »

Really? News to me. Have to actually recieved a ticket for it?

Must be one of the most amateur websites going. Grammar and basic spelling not an issue it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Must be one of the most amateur websites going. Grammar and basic spelling not an issue it seems

Nailed the target market.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

• Registered Users Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

They'd fall a test but it's only a 2 minute job to change. I wouldn't worry about been stopped over them, I've had "illegal" plates on all my cars and it's never been an issue with guards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

PsychoPete wrote: »
    They'd fall a test but it's only a 2 minute job to change. I wouldn't worry about been stopped over them, I've had "illegal" plates on all my cars and it's never been an issue with guards

Why do you do this? Genuine question.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭walshtipp

Doodah7 wrote: »

Some people think that they look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

It's the automotive equivalent of tracksuits tucked into white socks, the twats are self-identifying themselves so the rest of us can pick them out of a crowd before they act up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭mikeecho

bobbyy gee wrote: »

They can't.
    No monitory amount has been assigned to such a ticket.

It's in limbo at the moment.. they are illegal, but a prosecution can't be initiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,282 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mikeecho wrote: »
    They can't.
    No monitory amount has been assigned to such a ticket.
    It would be a summons, not a ticket then. If I'm correct, there is a section of the Road Traffic Act 1961 that assigns a value for all offences that don't have a specific amount assigned.

The law reform crowd were only speaking about road traffic law recently and how complicated and messy it's become.

Supposedly there will be a revamp and updating of the whole thing at some stage and this is exactly why, there's over 20 acts just about bloody license plates!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭mikeecho

The law reform crowd were only speaking about road traffic law recently and how complicated and messy it's become.

Supposedly there will be a revamp and updating of the whole thing at some stage and this is exactly why, there's over 20 acts just about bloody license plates!

Just look at the new drug driving laws.. it was known that there was a flaw in it, and they still implemented it.

The flaw won't get you off, but it can get you a lesser penalty if you know you're going to fail, and you then take a certain course of action at the roadside.

Just look at the new drug driving laws.. it was known that there was a flaw in it, and they still implemented it.

The flaw won't get you off, but it can get you a lesser penalty if you know you're going to fall, and you then take a certain course of action at the roadside.

I don't follow I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Donegal?
    I find that where most of this nonsense is located.
    Why is it nonsense to have the manufacturer logo on the reg? The font is a standard, perfectly legible one, it's just the flag is black and has a manufacture logo on it, pretty minor and reasonable change compared to a normal reg. I'm not fitting a sports kit on a bog standard car or flashing neon lighting underneath the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Doodah7 wrote: »

On my 3 Jap cars I've squares plates with the small font and on the A6 I've german font without the dash taken out of the "0". The Jap pressed plates always pass the nct even the font isn't 70mm

• Advertisement

antix80 wrote: »
    Op the german style font shouldn't be illegal. Why not get a dash instead of the decal, and a sticker of your car manufacturer logo (or favourite premier league team) you can stick over the dash? It would look awesome and you could peel it off for the nct.
    I only wanted the manufacturer logo I didn't want the decals and I didn't want any sort of hassle with it once installed. I also prefer a more standard font TBH but anyway it looks like I won't bother with this reg.

I'm not impressed by it either but I couldn't find another one with the SEAT logo available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

if you know you're going to fail, and you then take a certain course of action at the roadside.

What do you do, and what’s the lesser penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Should be removed and then used to beat the living daylights out of the driver....

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Why is it nonsense to have the manufacturer logo on the reg? The font is a standard, perfectly legible one, it's just the flag is black and has a manufacture logo on it, pretty minor and reasonable change compared to a normal reg. I'm not fitting a sports kit on a bog standard car or flashing neon lighting underneath the car.

Because it's clearly specified what should be there, eu etc and irl, no other bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,388 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

See what they’d do to you in your dreamland Germany if you go putting a Toyota logo or “IRL” on instead of the “D” on a German reg car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Just replace the paddle with the German or other illegal plate....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

If you want German plates, move to Germany.

Can't see too many Germans wanting Irish plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

It’s one of dozens of laws and regulations that are rarely if ever enforced here and any attempt at enforcement is met with ;
    ‘Its my constitutional right........Gardai should be out catching the real criminals..,, etc etc’

As said above, it usually signifies the driver is a bit of a dickhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I'm happy to see the dodgy plates. As soon as you see them you know exactly what you're dealing with. But, hey, that's what N plates are for too.

Advertisement