Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many new runners come from a mindset where everyone gets a medal and it's good enough

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 KeenRunner

rom wrote: »
    For any normal person turning up to an event getting through like the 98%+ other people and collecting their medal at the end is simply a receipt of payment even if delude yourself in to thinking that your great.

Does this apply to silver medals for finishing second..? Who do those losers think they are turning up and getting a medal even though they didn't win! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Let's face it- there are two kinds of runners. Professionals and fun-runners. If you're not one, then you're the other.[/QUOTE]

Or a failed elite in denial / pseudoelite , loads of those about , such insecurity !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Oops69 wrote: »

Or a failed elite in denial / pseudoelite , loads of those about , such insecurity !

Aren't they just fun runners in denial?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

If I was a professional I'd be more concerned about getting my cheque than getting a medal tbh.

Perhaps they should include an option in the entry form asking if you want a medal, goodie bag etc at a reduced entry fee too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Perhaps they should include an option in the entry form asking if you want a medal, goodie bag etc at a reduced entry fee too.

Certainly not going to happen at something like DCM, would create a alot of extra admin work with little or no benefit to the race organizers

Your idea would mean the people handing out the medals would need to check your number and everyone else's in the event against a list each time, same with the bag people. Its alot of extra work for them needlessly

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Certainly not going to happen at something like DCM, would create a alot of extra admin work with little or no benefit to the race organizers

Your idea would mean the people handing out the medals would need to check your number and everyone else's in the event against a list each time, same with the bag people. Its alot of extra work for them needlessly

I guess I meant that if a medal didn't matter to you then it might reduce the overall cost for the organisers. If you finished and wanted a medal you could exit on the left hand and collect a medal after finishing. Filling out a yes/no would give an idea of how many to order etc. Wasn't there a shortage last year.

I can see why people would want to keep a DCM medal though (beckett bridge and phoenix Park motif the past few years) There's some thought given to the design at least. Unlike the generic Cork city medal which has been generic and the exact same design for the past two years. Wonder what the motif will be this year? Liberty Hall to commemorate 1913??

Advertisement