Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic foreign bargains that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I'd take this for £8,000 less, though the colours are a bit boring and the MOT needs to be updated. Decent write up all the same.

1988 735i, £3,950, MoT 06/20

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1263334

13584897.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I always though there was something not quite right about the rear flanks of those 7 series. A bit heavy or something. The later model was a lot sleeker. There's a really nice iL version for sale on DD at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Nice car, dunno about price

Good MOT history and looks to be in great condition. Price is about right too.

This one has been reduced by £4000

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1988-Mercedes-Benz-S-CLASS-3-0-300-SE-4d-177-BHP-Auto-Saloon-Petrol-Automatic/133472823972?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

• Registered Users Posts: 64,775 ✭✭✭✭unkel

w124man wrote: »
    This one has been reduced by £4000

It will need to be reduced by £4000 again. Maybe a few more times :pac:

outfox wrote: »
    I always though there was something not quite right about the rear flanks of those 7 series. A bit heavy or something. The later model was a lot sleeker. There's a really nice iL version for sale on DD at the moment.

I always liked them from the moment they came out. Used to be one parked on the bus route from college to town in Limerick. It was replaced with a 518i. The E32 had presence and gave it an air of strength.

I agree the E38 is nicer, but the E32 would be the 2nd best looking one IMO. And they're available on the €56 tax which is nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,634 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

KevRossi wrote: »
    I always liked them from the moment they came out. Used to be one parked on the bus route from college to town in Limerick. It was replaced with a 518i. The E32 had presence and gave it an air of strength.

I agree the E38 is nicer, but the E32 would be the 2nd best looking one IMO. And they're available on the €56 tax which is nice.

The smallest engine available in the E32 was a 3 litre, so a drop down of at least 2 cylinders and almost half the cc was quiet a dip. Mind you, so was the road tax.

The smallest engine available in the E32 was a 3 litre, so a drop down of at least 2 cylinders and almost half the cc was quiet a dip. Mind you, so was the road tax.

It was a 730i, but in the late 80's a very rare car to see outside of Dublin.

There used to be a Maserati Bora* out in Castletroy at the time as well, as well as a couple of MR2's and a really nice white Quattro. Spare pickings back then for a car spotter. First couple of times I went to London and Frankfurt I didn't know which way to look.

*Could have been a Merak.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Love them - but there was a cleaner looking one here for less than that here, not too long ago.

unkel wrote: »
    It will need to be reduced by £4000 again. Maybe a few more times :pac:

This car won the MB Club Concours Masterclass three or four years ago and is an absolutely fabulous car. It is clinically clean and as close to original as you can get. The previous club owner sold it a few months ago for just over £11k to a 'collector' who was going to add it to his 'collection'. Within a week it was up for sale!

• Advertisement

This car won the MB Club Concours Masterclass three or four years ago and is an absolutely fabulous car. It is clinically clean and as close to original as you can get. The previous club owner sold it a few months ago for just over £11k to a 'collector' who was going to add it to his 'collection'. Within a week it was up for sale!

So I was spot on then that after the recent £4k price reduction, it needs a couple more of those, which would bring it down to £12k :)

Thanks for the insight, it looks like a cracking car alright, but an eye watering asking price.

So I was spot on then that after the recent £4k price reduction, it needs a couple more of those, which would bring it down to £12k :)

Thanks for the insight, it looks like a cracking car alright, but an eye watering asking price.

It wont sell at that price. £13k would be about right but then there's always this one. I haven't seen it in the flesh but a friend living in London was bidding on it at auction recently. It went for £9k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Only-23-000-Miles-Rare-Manual-Mercedes-300-SE-W126-S-Class/274476299049?hash=item3fe80ff329:g:y7oAAOSweZ9erB-d

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

It wont sell at that price. £13k would be about right but then there's always this one. I haven't seen it in the flesh but a friend living in London was bidding on it at auction recently. It went for £9k

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Only-23-000-Miles-Rare-Manual-Mercedes-300-SE-W126-S-Class/274476299049?hash=item3fe80ff329:g:y7oAAOSweZ9erB-d

That's an interior you could just curl up into.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

Beautiful - but whats the wavy thing sticking up out of the middle of the centre console ?? :)

This car used to feature regularly in the late 80's and early 90's as the most miserable car you could have. Beat Lada's and FSO's into that position. Immortalised in the documentary that I linked below that's really well worth a watch, even though it's nearly 30 years old.

I'm half tempted to buy it, but you'd pay €700 tax p.a. for a couple of years. I drove the MG turbo versions of this and the Montego and they were fabulous, if scary. Hard to believe two cars in the one shell could be such polar opposites.

1993 Maestro diesel, £1850, 50,000 miles. In Armagh

https://www.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/austin-maestro-deisel/26045783

NWYyMTU3MzI4MGZjMDIwZmRjNWIyY2M2YmM0NWZhZWaB-PQUsbXAAJCuhJNEegW7aHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNTczODkxMDR8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Maestro stars from 34:30

"Basically this Maestro is crap, I feel as though the company has quite frankly ........ shlt on me".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

That Maestro is a WINNER

• Registered Users Posts: 12,074 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

The company car clip is iconic

I instantly knew what clip you meant :D

I don't want to ruin my weekend with misery, I hope you don't mind if I don't watch it - again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,749 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Would the Maestro fall foul of the Nox tax? It would be a lot easier if it was over 30.

CoBo55 wrote: »
    Would the Maestro fall foul of the Nox tax? It would be a lot easier if it was over 30.

Due for VRT, NoX tax and then €710 tax for 2-3 years. But it’s such a crap car they may take pity on you and let you in for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,151 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

KevRossi wrote: »
    Due for VRT, NoX tax and then €710 tax for 2-3 years. But it’s such a crap car they may take pity on you and let you in for free.

probably lend you a tenner for a few litres of petrol and a box of matches

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I instantly knew what clip you meant :D

I don't want to ruin my weekend with misery, I hope you don't mind if I don't watch it - again :D

Can I start your week with misery? Here's the page from the Martin Parr book

527630.jpg

(ISBN 13: 9780563369844 - From A to B: Tales of Modern Motoring - Barker, Nicholas; Parr, Martin; BBC Books, 1994)

So you don't like the Maestro then? Spacious, bright and airy, handled well, wasn't the worst looking car ........

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Nope. Driven 3.

An abysmal '83/'84 1.3L, a new and desperately slow and sluggish '92/'93 Clubman 2.0 Diesel and a fairly rapid, but poor quality interior '88 MG 2.0EFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So you don't like the Maestro then? Spacious, bright and airy, handled well, wasn't the worst looking car ........

Ah now. It has to have one of the weirdest arses of any car ever.

Such an odd stance.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

When yer man was driving to work in his new car, that someone else paid for.
    Nice warm cosy spin to work, in out of the weather,

I was plodding along in an old rusty 63 beetle, and spent all day knee deep in a wet trench
    in the height of winter shuttering.

Jeez, some fellas dont know they are born and how well off they are:rolleyes:

While I agree with your sentiments, the man wasn't just "driving to work". He was a rep spending many, many hours every day in that car. And he came from a better car. Usually in your career you aim to go upwards, not downwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

kadman wrote: »
    When yer man was driving to work in his new car, that someone else paid for.
    Nice warm cosy spin to work, in out of the weather,

I was plodding along in an old rusty 63 beetle, and spent all day knee deep in a wet trench
    in the height of winter shuttering.

Jeez, some fellas dont know they are born and how well off they are:rolleyes:[/quotone thing

Kadman , one thing you probably had in common with the sales Rep was ye both had to listen to Perkins engines, his in the Maestro and yours in a JCB or a 50B.

Advertisement