Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in Sligo

Options
  • 11-11-2018 1:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭

Any places to stay away from and any nice spots for good value? thanks guys i really need help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Lyle Lanley

Any places to stay away from and any nice spots for good value? thanks guys i really need help
    Town or county?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

And approx budget. Size etc.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 320 ✭✭WillieMason

Town or county?[/QUOTE

Im hoping town

dingding wrote: »
    And approx budget. Size etc.....

3bed under 200,000

West side of town is where I'd be looking, have lived in a few places around and would only consider this side now. Would depend where you're working or of you've kids in schools etc too.

Strandhill is great if you don't mind being a bit outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭johnire

What housing estates would be on the west side of the town?
    Thanks
    West side of town is where I'd be looking, have lived in a few places around and would only consider this side now. Would depend where you're working or of you've kids in schools etc too.

johnire wrote: »
    What housing estates would be on the west side of the town?
    Thanks
    Kevinsfort, Oakfield, Springhill Court, Cedar Drive, Rathedmond. There are a few more, but I like that side of town and it's easy to get anywhere from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Kevinsfort, Oakfield, Springhill Court, Cedar Drive, Rathedmond. There are a few more, but I like that side of town and it's easy to get anywhere from there.

Are there many houses in Kevinsfort for under K200??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

3 bed under 200k, no a chance. Its where I would go to though if won the Lotto.

Dr Devious wrote: »
    Are there many houses in Kevinsfort for under K200??
    Guess that'd be out of range alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Dr Devious

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    3 bed under 200k, no a chance. Its where I would go to though if won the Lotto.

I’ll never understand the fascination with Strandhill, every house is overpriced there, the same house anywhere in Sligo is about 30% or 40% less. Is a beach that important to people. As for the delays getting in to sligo in the mornings, it would do my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭sligoblue

Dr Devious wrote: »
    I’ll never understand the fascination with Strandhill, every house is overpriced there, the same house anywhere in Sligo is about 30% or 40% less. Is a beach that important to people. As for the delays getting in to sligo in the mornings, it would do my head in.

Yes, for those that want to live within walking distance of the beach, it is that important. Really great vibe in Strandhill, car parked Friday evening, often doesn't move till Monday morning. Short walk to beach, the Strand Bar, Shells for breakfast on Sunday morning, the Venue for wings, golf on Sunday mornings. Takes a few mins extra to get in in the morning, but leave before peak school time and it's only 10-15 mins to IT. That's living in my view, but everyone is different, I like the outdoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

From what I hear Airbnb has ruined all the local vibe that they tried to create in Strandhill. Investors have bought up a large portion of housing in the estates for airbnb and short term lettings.
    Knock on effect is lack of local infrastructure, schools etc since people aren't there for any significant amount of time plus the estates suffer since you technically don't have a neighbour.
    There's affordable housing in the east ward in town within walking distance of the town center, but there's also plenty of people here who'd tell you to avoid those areas.

Your call really.....

From what I hear Airbnb has ruined all the local vibe that they tried to create in Strandhill. Investors have bought up a large portion of housing in the estates for airbnb and short term lettings.
    Knock on effect is lack of local infrastructure, schools etc since people aren't there for any significant amount of time plus the estates suffer since you technically don't have a neighbour.
    There's affordable housing in the east ward in town within walking distance of the town center, but there's also plenty of people here who'd tell you to avoid those areas.

Your call really.....

Haven't noticed this at all, many of the new houses on the top road have been bought by investors for short term lets, but apart from that I'm not sure what you are on about, we have friends in all estates in the village and I've never heard a complaint about Airbnb. Strandhill has a long history of short/medium term visitors coming to surf/golf. . No shortgage of primary school places that I'm aware of, Strandhill and Ransboro NS's are pretty good. What other infrastructure do you feel is lacking? All in all, I don't think anything in your post reflects living/life in Strandhill.

sligoblue wrote: »
    Haven't noticed this at all, many of the new houses on the top road have been bought by investors for short term lets, but apart from that I'm not sure what you are on about, we have friends in all estates in the village and I've never heard a complaint about Airbnb. Strandhill has a long history of short/medium term visitors coming to surf/golf. . No shortgage of primary school places that I'm aware of, Strandhill and Ransboro NS's are pretty good. What other infrastructure do you feel is lacking? All in all, I don't think anything in your post reflects living/life in Strandhill.

Again, I'm repeating what I heard - I'm not citing it as fact.

Thanks for the suggestions il check them out.:)

Your call really.....

The new airbnb regulations being introduced may change things

The new airbnb regulations being introduced may change things

Seems the new regs only apply in RPZ's where there there is high demand/low supply.

Your call really.....
    My biggest issue with the east side of town is it's a disaster to get from there to pretty much all of the large employers in town.

My biggest issue with the east side of town is it's a disaster to get from there to pretty much all of the large employers in town.

Yeah, crossing the town can be a nightmare alright, but that also works both ways, depending on where you work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

sligoblue wrote: »
    Yes, for those that want to live within walking distance of the beach, it is that important. Really great vibe in Strandhill, car parked Friday evening, often doesn't move till Monday morning. Short walk to beach, the Strand Bar, Shells for breakfast on Sunday morning, the Venue for wings, golf on Sunday mornings. Takes a few mins extra to get in in the morning, but leave before peak school time and it's only 10-15 mins to IT. That's living in my view, but everyone is different, I like the outdoors.

I'm sold. As I said though, when I win the Lotto.

Anyone know anything about the Parklands estate Tubbercurry? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Anyone know anything about the Parklands estate Tubbercurry? Thanks
    Ganglands would be a more apt name for the estate.

Ganglands would be a more apt name for the estate.

Thanks. saw a house for 50grand thought there must be something up

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Whats Towerhill, Ballymote, Co. Sligo like ? Ive seen a cheap house there but im not from the area.

Whats Towerhill, Ballymote, Co. Sligo like ? Ive seen a cheap house there but im not from the area.

Run a mile. It's cheap for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

It's become more of a halting site. People have been intimidated out of their houses as the culture took over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

OP, Budget & where you would be working will have a huge bearing on where you should be looking.
    But selling prices in Sligo town have been on the rise. (Property price register is a good reference)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

Wow ok thanks guys for the feedback i had no idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

BronsonTB wrote: »
    But selling prices in Sligo town have been on the rise. (Property price register is a good reference)

I've a Sligo friend who's trying to buy at the moment in Sligo town and is finding it difficult.
    Big demand and also quite a few investors it seems.
    She was particularly annoyed to be one of the last 2 bidders for a house in a residential area only to be outbid by an investor who now has it up on Air BnB.

I've seen that happen a lot in Dublin and very annoying to see it spread across the country.

Advertisement