Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a house in Sligo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

marvin80 wrote: »
    I've a Sligo friend who's trying to buy at the moment in Sligo town and is finding it difficult.
    Big demand and also quite a few investors it seems.
    She was particularly annoyed to be one of the last 2 bidders for a house in a residential area only to be outbid by an investor who now has it up on Air BnB.

I've seen that happen a lot in Dublin and very annoying to see it spread across the country.

New regs should sort that out, if you can rely on our government to get anything right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

New regs should sort that out, if you can rely on our government to get anything right

As mentioned above Sligo isn't a RPZ and doubt it will be anytime soon:

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/rent-pressure-zones/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

I've a Sligo friend who's trying to buy at the moment in Sligo town and is finding it difficult.
    Big demand and also quite a few investors it seems.
    She was particularly annoyed to be one of the last 2 bidders for a house in a residential area only to be outbid by an investor who now has it up on Air BnB.

I've seen that happen a lot in Dublin and very annoying to see it spread across the country.

Sligo town didn’t grow much over the boom years. Population has stayed pretty much the same (20k). In fact, since the 70s it’s only increased by about 20%, in contrast to the likes of Letterkenny which has grown by 400%. New houses (Caltragh, Hawthorns, etc.) just moved people from the town centre to the outskirts. Most of the house building was done in the surrounding towns like Ballisodare, Collooney, Coolaney, Grange, Carney etc. Especially Strandhill which has more than doubled in size in the last 20 years. Now the third biggest town in the county and soon the second.
    As a result, there can be a lack of supply available in the town itself.

• Site Banned Posts: 136 ✭✭rainybillwill

il gatto wrote: »
    Sligo town didn’t grow much over the boom years. Population has stayed pretty much the same (20k). In fact, since the 70s it’s only increased by about 20%, in contrast to the likes of Letterkenny which has grown by 400%. New houses (Caltragh, Hawthorns, etc.) just moved people from the town centre to the outskirts. Most of the house building was done in the surrounding towns like Ballisodare, Collooney, Coolaney, Grange, Carney etc. Especially Strandhill which has more than doubled in size in the last 20 years. Now the third biggest town in the county and soon the second.
    As a result, there can be a lack of supply available in the town itself.

Yes the Sligo population grew by just over 1,000 since 91 where as Galway grew by 30,000. In 91 Sligo had the 9th largest population in the country now 25th.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The complete failure of Sligo town to capitalise on its location as a centre for the Northwest and on the booms of 1995-2007 and the current boom is something everyone in Sligo should feel rather angry about.

Much of the blame has to be laid at the door of local and national politicians to deliver the goods for the town. Sligo, as the 2020s approach, should have a population of 40,000+. Instead, it is a town marked by stunted growth, piss poor planning and missed opportunities.

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    The complete failure of Sligo town to capitalise on its location as a centre for the Northwest and on the booms of 1995-2007 and the current boom is something everyone in Sligo should feel rather angry about.

Much of the blame has to be laid at the door of local and national politicians to deliver the goods for the town. Sligo, as the 2020s approach, should have a population of 40,000+. Instead, it is a town marked by stunted growth, piss poor planning and missed opportunities.

It's shocking how few knowledge economy jobs are available in Sligo. These are the type of jobs that get people moving to Sligo for work and the type of job that Sligo graduates from the IT can fulfill after they graduate instead of moving to Galway or Dublin.

I know there's been a few announcements about those types of jobs in the last while but on the ground it's a different story.

The likes of Letterkenny has excelled in this area it seems.

It's shocking how few knowledge economy jobs are available in Sligo. These are the type of jobs that get people moving to Sligo for work and the type of job that Sligo graduates from the IT can fulfill after they graduate instead of moving to Galway or Dublin.

I know there's been a few announcements about those types of jobs in the last while but on the ground it's a different story.

The likes of Letterkenny has excelled in this area it seems.

Care to elaborate?

Care to elaborate?

The job announcements in the press aren't necessarily translated in reality.

The job announcements in the press aren't necessarily translated in reality.

Are you stating fact or your opinion?

Opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Usually the announcements talk about a companies total recruitment over a period of s coupe of years. The recent announcements are generally meeting or exceeding their initial recruitment plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Joe91r22

I saw a nice house in an estate (3 bed) for 800 pcm in Rathscanlon (tubbercurry) Does anyone have any views on this area? Also, is 800pcm for a new 3 bed a fair price for the area. Any thoughts really appreciated. I’m wondering if it would make more to sense to buy but not sure about prices for such a property in the area. Any opinions or insights would be really great to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Joe91r22 wrote: »
    I saw a nice house in an estate (3 bed) for 800 pcm in Rathscanlon (tubbercurry) Does anyone have any views on this area? Also, is 800pcm for a new 3 bed a fair price for the area. Any thoughts really appreciated. I’m wondering if it would make more to sense to buy but not sure about prices for such a property in the area. Any opinions or insights would be really great to hear.

Prices to buy are cheaper than sligo town, rent will be more than a mortgage. Buy to live in rather than investment makes more sense. Values don't rise at the same level as Sligo town. I live in Tubber if you have any questions on the are in general. House for sale in Ard Aisling at the moment, first time in a few years since one came up, great estate.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Confirmed!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Joe91r22

Thanks, great to get the insight of a local. Basically I’m thinking that it might actually make sense to try to buy. I see the place in Ard Aisling is 140k. Would the price be similar on the other side of town (Cnon na Si/ Rathscanlon)? I’m speaking to someone who might sell his house in the Rathscanlon area but as I’m not local, I’m trying to figure out if his price (which is in line with Ard Aisling prices) is fair. Also, I’m in my mid thirties so wondering if I decided to buy in Rathscanlon now but had to move on in a couple of years, would it be difficult to rent the place? Is there much demand for the area and what sort of people are looking to live in the area - in general do you think that people are moving into tubber or moving out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Cnoc na Si isn't great to be honest. It's a lot better than it used to be a few years ago but still mainly short term renters. Rathscanlon is a big enough town land and with the exception of Cnoc na Si (the town waste water treatment plant is to the back of it) it's a nice part of the town to live. Ard Aisling, High Field, Coil Dara and Ox Crescent in that order are the nicest estates on the Rathscanlon side of town. If you have kids most the locals in town don't send their kids to Tubbercurry instead they send them to Cloonacool, Drimina, Moylough. There is an embargo on planning permission around Tubbercurry until 2021/22 until the council decides on the bypass route if it goes ahead so demand for houses in the nicer areas is high enough. That house in Ard Aisling will probably sell fairly quick. Any questions pm me

I would second everything my bad has said. Charlestown road area is best side of town.
    Rathscanlon is just a townland.

Demand for renting is high at the moment so anything from 700 upwards is normal.
    Wouldn't advise buying in Cnoc no si as not that many are home owners. Anywhere is ok for renting as you can move. Think carefully about buying, mortgage is cheaper than rent but bigger investment. Drop me a PM if you need to know anything, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Joe91r22 wrote: »
    Thanks, great to get the insight of a local. Basically I’m thinking that it might actually make sense to try to buy. I see the place in Ard Aisling is 140k. Would the price be similar on the other side of town (Cnon na Si/ Rathscanlon)? I’m speaking to someone who might sell his house in the Rathscanlon area but as I’m not local, I’m trying to figure out if his price (which is in line with Ard Aisling prices) is fair. Also, I’m in my mid thirties so wondering if I decided to buy in Rathscanlon now but had to move on in a couple of years, would it be difficult to rent the place? Is there much demand for the area and what sort of people are looking to live in the area - in general do you think that people are moving into tubber or moving out?

Houses in surrounding towns are less attractive rental properties than houses in town and the further out you go the harder it gets. I would be slow to buy in an area like Tubbercurry if I wasn't committed to living there. A semi in town is more of a Goldilocks proposition that would appeal to owner occupiers as well as investors if you decide to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

BronsonTB wrote: »
    I would second everything my bad has said. Charlestown road area is best side of town.
    Rathscanlon is just a townland.

Demand for renting is high at the moment so anything from 700 upwards is normal.
    Wouldn't advise buying in Cnoc no si as not that many are home owners. Anywhere is ok for renting as you can move. Think carefully about buying, mortgage is cheaper than rent but bigger investment. Drop me a PM if you need to know anything, cheers.

I'm one of the few homeowners in Cnoc Na Si. The guy that developed the estate still owns / rents many of the houses here. I thing 39 out of the 49. Houses often come up for sale here. Rents are ridiculous, often €300 more than my mortgage.

The estate is grand and pretty quiet. Apparently it was dodgy years ago, but we've been here just over 5 years now and its been good. Many of those renting here are non nationals, and there is a lot of turnover in tenants.

The houses are not particularly well built and the gardens are a bit crap if i'm being honest. There are a section of the houses that back on to a treatment plant as well. But, its close to town, right beside Aurivo, there's a lovely 5km forest walk a 2 minute walk over the road, and its close enough to the countryside too. I look out on farms and the beautiful Ox mountains every morning

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

Houses in surrounding towns are less attractive rental properties than houses in town and the further out you go the harder it gets. I would be slow to buy in an area like Tubbercurry if I wasn't committed to living there. A semi in town is more of a Goldilocks proposition that would appeal to owner occupiers as well as investors if you decide to sell.

Thay is nonsense, have a look on daft for rentals in areas like ballymote and surrounding towns. Very little available because demand is high

This house on daft looks good value - needs renovating but asking price is very reasonable.
    https://www.daft.ie/sligo/houses-for-sale/tubbercurry/2-gallagher-road-tubbercurry-sligo-2560221/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

BronsonTB wrote: »
    This house on daft looks good value - needs renovating but asking price is very reasonable.
    https://www.daft.ie/sligo/houses-for-sale/tubbercurry/2-gallagher-road-tubbercurry-sligo-2560221/

BER F, looks like it may be mass concrete job and would need wrapping if that is the case which could cost 20K plus.

Advertisement