Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shed build - help

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Epic stuff altogether, seriously dedicated!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Seriously impressive and great attention to detail. What ever time you put into building the shed you must be putting 2 to 3 times as much into researching product and material. Must be a nightmare trying to source the different items as my experience here with anything slightly out of the ordinary is that personnel start shaking the head just as you get the first three words of the sentence "Have you got ..."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Seriously impressive and great attention to detail. What ever time you put into building the shed you must be putting 2 to 3 times as much into researching product and material. Must be a nightmare trying to source the different items as my experience here with anything slightly out of the ordinary is that personnel start shaking the head just as you get the first three words of the sentence "Have you got ..."

I have the opposite experience when I go to the local hardware shop, it usually starts with me going something like "What do ya call those things again? Do you know those yokes that you use the drill for first and then you bate um through the 4x2 and into the wall to hold the timber?"

Then I get the textbook name from either the owners elderly mother or the young lad that works there along with the different size options available.

I then say "Ya that's the very thing I was on about, give us one look at the sizes there and I'll know straightaway".

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

how.gareth wrote: »
    Epic stuff altogether, seriously dedicated!

+1

As somebody without any construction experience but who has occasionally entertained the vague thought of "wouldn't it be a nice project to build one's own shed?", I must say I am dismayed by the realisation of the amount of effort actually involved as much as I am impressed with the sheer determination, attention to detail and workmanship you are putting into it. I've got no doubt you'll be enormously proud of the end result. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the rest of the build.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

MrSkinny wrote: »
    I must say I am dismayed by the realisation of the amount of effort actually involved
    Nooooo! That's the wrong thing to take from it.

This build is taking me a long time due to four totally avoidable factors:

- The decision to make the whole thing float in space off a 10% slope, rather than the conventional option of sitting it on a poured concrete slab on a flat piece of ground.

- The decision to make a vaulted ceiling which forced a structural ridge beam rather than a more conventional ridge board and ceiling joists/ties.

- The decision to make the framing and beam structure part of the internal design and put the insulation on the outside, rather than the conventional approach of insulating between the studs and covering it all with boards.

- Unnecessary attention to detail partly driven by lack of experience in knowing which details matter, and partly from the fact that I'm photographing everything - a 1mm gap looks like an inch gap in a close up photo.

I'm going to do a proper write up at the end with "how to do this thing faster" and "how to do a similar thing much faster".

It's been brilliant fun and I would honestly recommend it to anyone who fancies giving it a go and can spare a few weekends over a summer.

• Advertisement

What ever time you put into building the shed you must be putting 2 to 3 times as much into researching product and material. Must be a nightmare trying to source the different items as my experience here with anything slightly out of the ordinary is that personnel start shaking the head just as you get the first three words of the sentence "Have you got ..."

I only started designing it in June, but it has occupied most of my spare thinking time since then.

Sourcing stuff in Ireland at reasonable prices can be a bit frustrating. Decent power tools for instance - forget it. The retail prices are double what you pay online, and I was outright lied to about warranties by a local distributor.

So UK and German online suppliers have got a lot of business, particularly for things like stainless steel screws which don't seem to exist in Ireland, and certain specialized metalwork which I ended up not using.

But there are some fantastic Irish companies out there. The two that supplied the beams and the insulation have been amazing: hugely knowledgeable, enthusiastic and happy to explain things.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭MrSkinny

Lumen wrote: »
    I'm going to do a proper write up at the end with "how to do this thing faster" and "how to do a similar thing much faster".
    I look forward to reading these! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Lumen, what's the story?

Getting worried about no new updates this last while.

C'mon Lumen, keep us in the picture.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

I think a government commission asked him to review the upcoming nzeb regulations and after he discovered some flaws that he perfected and applied to his shed, he was paid off and told to hide.

Real response.......

I can't wait either. GO LUMEN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

he has let it for a million euro a week and will be on joe duffy explaining why tomorrow........

• Advertisement

Thanks for the concern :D

My wife's patience finally expired so I'm busy ripping up floors in the house.

Houses are so boring!

The shed has two and a half walls insulated and membraned and a tarp over the roof.

Hopefully we'll get a massive storm forecast so I can get back to the more important work.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I see lots of lovely joinery and engineering and smile...and then I remember the lumps of sawdusty gunk holding it all up and shed a little tear.

Have you tackled the exposed insulation ends yet? I'd really worry about them in this weather, from a damp point of view but more likely them becoming a home for crawly things.

GreeBo wrote: »
    I see lots of lovely joinery and engineering and smile...and then I remember the lumps of sawdusty gunk holding it all up and shed a little tear.

As I said before, that epoxy mortar is going to outlive human life on earth. :D
    GreeBo wrote: »
    Have you tackled the exposed insulation ends yet? I'd really worry about them in this weather, from a damp point of view but more likely them becoming a home for crawly things.

Not really. There's a flap of windproofing membrane lightly covering them but that's probably just acting as a nice cosy door to keep those creatures warm at night.

Thanks for the motivation. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 27,033 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

As I said before, that epoxy mortar is going to outlive human life on earth. :D

That still doesnt make it nice!:o

A few weeks break doing mostly boring house stuff, back to the shed today.

Took the tarp off, and there's a couple of damp spots from holes in the tarp, but they haven't stained the underside and will dry out soon enough.

Got it wired last week. Not going to post pictures of that cos it's not my own work and I'm still slightly traumatised by someone punching holes through my studs, but I have a fuseboard thing connected to four double+USB sockets.

In hindsight I should have routed slots in the back of the studs before I sheeted it, but I didn't have a router at that point, wasn't thinking about electrics, and it's difficult to do afterwards. So the cables are neatly clipped down the side of studs nearest the corners where they can't be seen unless you're standing right in the corner.

Stupidly forgot to put the airtight grommets over the armoured cable, so had to cut and tape a couple of them afterwards.

Anyway, windproof membrane over walls is finished now, and the membrane is securely taped under the bottom of the walls to join up with the membrane holding the floor insulation in place. There are a few nooks and crannies for creatures, but I want to get the roof weatherproof before putting the mesh on.

Time for the roof insulation, and then have to make a door so I can get it heated! That's going to be tricky, because if I make it too strong and secure some idiot is going to try and break in and wreck the frame. So I reckon I'll try and make it so the door frame gives way before the queen posts are damaged. Either that or wire the door handle to an electric fence energiser. Joking!

ETxiE8C.jpgnJ1IHNx.jpghMwzrPP.jpgp6nwUGi.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Maybe a stupid question but are there no windows?

my3cents wrote: »
    Maybe a stupid question but are there no windows?
    Correct! I'll get to those after the roof.

Another question? Are you having any gutters? I'm asking as one on the side that is close to the earth may benefit from not having water splashing back off the ground into the bottom edge.

Yes, half round gutters with downpipes at the back.

In theory I can position them partly inside the ventilation gap so that they peep out under the roofline to catch the runoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Put a proper door on it. Don't be thinking too much about burglary. Just put a proper door and proper door locks . Genuinely you can over think these things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

listermint wrote: »
    Put a proper door on it. Don't be thinking too much about burglary. Just put a proper door and proper door locks . Genuinely you can over think these things.

You could never accuse lumen of "overthinking" this project;)

I'll get my coat >>>> :)

Look, if I can't set a good example, at least I can be a horrible warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭prosaic

Glad to see you've set to again. Nice for it to reach a weather proof state (soon?).

prosaic wrote: »
    Glad to see you've set to again. Nice for it to reach a weather proof state (soon?).
    Yeah, well I ignored listermint's sage advice and designed my own door from first principles. It's going to be brilliant. I just have to find the right kind of magnets. :pac::D

Yeah, well I ignored listermint's sage advice and designed my own door from first principles. It's going to be brilliant. I just have to find the right kind of magnets. :pac::D

I love it...a help thread that ignores the help !

I love it...a help thread that ignores the help !
    Ah, it has actually been enormously helpful and all tips and brutal criticism are much appreciated.

I did look for an off the shelf door but my dimensions are between the two standard sizes and I didn't want to have a big fat jamb after all the preceding effort.

Also, I bought a router and need to play with it...

Ah, it has actually been enormously helpful and all tips and brutal criticism are much appreciated.

I did look for an off the shelf door but my dimensions are between the two standard sizes and I didn't want to have a big fat jamb after all the preceding effort.

And this from the man who said and I quote

I don't like woodwork. Which could shortly pose a problem in this project.

:D

And I keep telling my kids they are tools not toys :)

No wonder they just don't get it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭prosaic

I want to see the door closed on this.

• Advertisement

prosaic wrote: »
    I want to see the door closed on this.

I want to see the windows open :)

Advertisement