Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin - Metrolink (Swords to Charlemont only)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭KrisW1001

Yeah, even the route is only “similar”. From Collins Avenue south, they take different paths: Metro North landed on the other side of Stephen’s Green, and didn’t have any interchange with DART (MetroLink has two: at Glasnevin and Tara St).

For anyone who likes Spot-The-Difference games, here’s MetroLink (Top) and Metro North (Bottom)

MetroLink is a better project - the DART station interchanges alone make it better, even before you look at cost and capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭OisinCooke

Can’t believe they were going to let MN happen with a Deumcondra station that didn’t even link up with the DART… MN’s only ‘one-up’ on Metrolink was the mined O’Connell Bridge stop, at the junction of the Luas Red and Green lines but I’ll admit that a DART connection at Tara Street, with a walk for a Red Line connection, is far better than a direct Red Line link. Besides a direct link with DU eventually, will ease the pressure of need for a Red Line link for Heuston passengers. Hopefully they have the sense to build some sort of underground walking passage from the O’Connel Stop towards Abbey Luas…

O’Connell Bridge and Parnell Square were removed from the plan before the Railway Order submission, and replaced with a single station midway along O’Connell Street, so Metro North didn’t even have that bonus. The Glasnevin interchange apparently never occured to the designers, and so Drumcondra station was chosen as the rail interchange instead. The southern entrance of O’Connell Bridge would have been about 250 metres from Tara Street, which would have been acceptable as an interchange, but then they pulled that station from the design.

Actually, the O’Connell Bridge station wasn’t actually under the Liffey. The main station box would have been excavated on O’Connell Street the north bank of the river, and a pedestrian tunnel would have connected this to a smaller ticket hall and entrance on the south bank. Here’s the northern side:

(This drawing is reproduced among of a set of concept drawings from 2009, here: Dublin Metro North – Line-wide components – JvS Industrial Design (stedingk-design.com)

Note “Paid” and “Unpaid” on that drawing; Unlike Luas, Metro North was envisaged as a ticket-controlled system. MetroLink, like Luas, will be on an honour system: there are no turnstiles. It’s one of the many changes made to reduce the overall cost of the system, both in terms of construction and operation costs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

Folks, you’re missing the point. Mainstream media is written to be consumed by the general public, not by people who care about the detail. Most people are not going to care about whether it’s excavated vs bored or the specifics of the route. They’re both underground train lines that broadly serve the same areas so the general public will happily refer to the new project as MetroNorth or MetroLink or just the underground. It might be sloppy journalism but it doesn’t matter to most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Thunder87

I'd say the most accurate way of describing it is a different version of the same project. The "project" being the delivery of a metro line from Swords/airport to city centre, which is broadly unchanged since the original plan in the early 2000s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭cgcsb

On a side note the parnell oconnell junction needs work. A right turn ban from east parnell square to parnell St and a car ban between prince's St and parnell st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭prunudo

You'd have to think he's trolling us! Now he's dead right, delivery is painfully slow but I think the delays caused by the whole planning and objection stage of the projects is lost on him.

ps. apologies for linking to article behind a paywall.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2024/08/28/why-is-our-capacity-to-deliver-infrastructure-projects-worse-now-than-it-was-in-the-19th-century/?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR0Pu4LDE5uA3j9LSqRi6snzSS46FVZWPU2Yejc5vH_9l4OAfCvwfYvTliM_aem_sr96_0Pfs2UZ5b3p7iSz3Q

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Is this the same Michael McDowell that is objecting to the Metrolink project over its termination at Charlemont?

Maybe, they should compulsory purchase his property at Rathmines and remove his vested interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Is this the same Michael McDowell that was Tánaiste?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

As has already been pointed out elsewhere, he wasn't around in the 19th Century to object to ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Some news on this from the weekend:
    https://www.independent.ie/business/worlds-biggest-developers-eye-bids-for-dublin-metrolink-contracts/a66992698.html

Some of the biggest infra firms in the world and lining up to make a bid for the contract.

Also, the second round of public hearings is underway.

As someone who is a skeptic by nature, I'm starting to believe that this project will actually happen. (I think the route through swords is rubbish though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If it doesn’t happen, Dublin is finished.

If Dublin is finished, so is the country.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Another batsh*t insane feature of Metro North was that the Stephen’s Green station would’ve been at the Grafton Street entrance. The stone arch entrance and many very old mature trees would’ve had to been removed and a giant hole excavated, which pedestrians would’ve spent years walking around. This was also pre-Luas Cross city so we wouldn’t have been able to build that while MN was under construction as the way was blocked.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

That was to be the MN and DU interchange wasn't it? They were to dig down for both stations.

Yes. This was a concern I had with DU and MN: apart from the need to destroy and rebuild half of St Stephen’s Green (including the lake!), I worried that together, both projects created a de-facto “Dublin Central” station in a space that was never going to be big enough to allow expansion to accommodate the passenger numbers that this would generate. I suppose the lack of a proper DART interconnection anywhere else along MN meant that they had to link up with DU at Stephen’s Green, but it would be better, if DU ever goes ahead, to not make it such a passenger magnet.

Granted, my fears were worse back when DU was simply called the “Dublin Interconnector”, with the implication that it would carry mainline services as well as DART: that would have been a nightmare. I think the idea of mainline trains on this link was a hangover from the original Dublin rail plan in which this central station was to be built at the Temple Bar bus depot: a location that had ample space to become a main train station back in the 1980s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭gjim

I don't think there was ever a serious plan to carry intercity trains through the interconnector/DU/tunnel/whatever. I've had people swear that it was part of some earlier plan but I've never found any evidence that this was the intension even going back to DRRTS plan in the 1970s, the tunnel was always intended for electrified commuter traffic only.

I can't see how it could ever have worked - you can't have diesel intercity locomotives stopping in underground stations unless you want to poison your customers with fumes.

I'm not sure how making the word "project" more vague, adds any accuracy to any description. Or helps improve communication/understanding.

Where do you stop? Define the "project" as providing rail access to the airport? Then the DART spur, MN, ML, the silly "extend Luas to the airport" suggestions, and the SRR putative heavy rail connection all become "versions of the same project".

There's a clear lack of understanding amongst the public and media that ML is a complete redesign and not a resurrected MN. I'd rather this was made clear in media reports instead of bending language to somehow make MN and ML the same "project". The "ML is just a variation on MN" is a lie, often used to attack the project generally and spread fatalistic negativity around it.

You just said yourself it's a RE-design! A re-design of what? It's clearly the same project in spirit, they designed it, got planning permission, cancelled it then a few short years later re-announced it but decided to start from scratch on design.

But anyway, it's all just pointless semantics, I don't think the general public could care less about single bore vs twin bore or long platforms vs short, they/we just want to see a frequent reliable train line built to serve this corridor

Post edited by Thunder87 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It's so funny to me how the original stephen's green station is now being panned as 'too central'

I answered you in more detail on the DART thread. Basically, the idea is fine if it doesn’t carry inter-city trains. If it does carry inter-city trains, then it would need to be four times the size, or it would quickly turn into an overcrowded mess. As it was, this was to be the biggest of the underground stations - partly as it interchanged with Metro North, but also because it was the most central of the proposed new stations.

The original proposal of Temple Bar was much more central for the whole city than St Stephen’s Green, and it had the space to accommodate such a mainline+DART station. That’s where the idea of inter-city running first came from (the rail tunnel concept pre-dates DART). It didn’t make sense once the line changed its route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭OisinCooke

Will DU and ML still link up at Stephen’s Green then…? I would see it as an unbelievable missed opportunity to not do such a link…

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

DU is not happening. Dart+ is the only plan going forward.

A shorter tunnel with the interchange at Tara is the currently favored option in Jacob’s shortlist. There’s a separate thread on the topic.

Depends on where DU goes.. Right now, there is no active DART Underground plan. If there was, measures would have been taken at the DART+ Spencer Dock build to facilitate it (there’s really nowhere else that you could bring a tunnel under the Liffey).

Back in the Metro North days, the St Stephen’s Green Metro station was to be on the western side of the Green, and the underground DART station would have run along the Northern edge of the Green, which made interchange relatively simple. MetroLink moved that SSG station to the eastern side of the Green. That wouldn’t matter too much, given that any DART underground station would be about 250 metres long, and the Green is 375 m from East to West (it’s 275 m North to South, by the way).

If it was my box of crayons, I’d almost put a station under Merrion Square instead, with a north entrance on Merrion St Lower for Pearse station (300 m walk) and a south entrance on Merrion St Upper for Metrolink (a 350 m walk).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

TII have commenced a preliminary market consultation regarding the three Metrolink construction contracts (M400 contracts)

In summary, the three contracts are:

M401 (southern section): 9.6km of bored tunnel with portal including 10 stations (Charlemont, St Stephens Green, Tara, O'Connell Street, Mater, Glasnevin, Griffith Park, Collins Avenue, Ballymun and Northwood)

M402 (central section): 2.3km of bored tunnel, tunnel portals, M50 viaduct and 2 stations (Dardistown and Dublin Airport)

M403 (northern section): Four stations in retained cutting (Fosterstown, Swords Central, Seatown and Estuary), permanent way on surface and in retained cutting, road overbridges and Broadmeadow viaduct

All include further associated works as outlined below.

https://www.etenders.gov.ie/epps/pmc/viewPmc.do?resourceId=4212008

Between this and the report of the Plenary/Webuild/Keolis/Hitachi JV reported in the media during the week, things are starting to get tangible

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Mod: DU and this thread are not related. There are plenty of threads for discussing DU - just not here.

The same goes for MN.

Off topic posts will be deleted.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Interview with Sean Sweeney, CEO of Auckland City Rail Link whose next job will be Programme Director for MetroLink

A few comments on Dublin Metrolink at 10:35 in the video

Post edited by marno21 on

His opening comments on the difference between estimates and costs are something that really needs to be discussed more. There is huge political and commercial pressure to under-sell the cost and complexity of any major project, both from the bidders, and from politicians, but those initial figures are only ever estimates. With the best will in the world, any project that is estimated as “anywhere between €2 and 5 billion” will always be sold to the public as being the 5-billion feature set at the 2-billion price - our clearest example of this is the Children’s Hospital.

Also, (around 7 minutes) the comment about the effect that not having a pipeline of projects has on a nation’s ability to deliver really does apply to Ireland too. It must be pretty bad in NZ if he considers Ireland as a better example, but I understand that this project the subject of a lot of inter-party squabbling before it got going...

I just had a quick Google of Auckland to see what they're building and came across this weird contradictory announcement from their government.

https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/government-cancels-auckland-light-rail

Essentially reads as "we are proving our commitment to delivering infrastructure by cancelling the delivery of infrastructure", so seems like they're not much better than ourselves. Though they are at least building something at the moment so in that sense they're still better off

• Advertisement

Can you imagine anyone in Irish politics cancelling a Luas line project? This, I think, is what Sweeney was referring to when he said Ireland was a better place for infrastructure. There’s a cross-party consensus here that infrastructure projects are of benefit to our cities and the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

We cancelled Metro North, we cancelled DART expansion in the late 1980s, we cancelled the underground at Temple Bar.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Not the same thing at all.

Underground at Temple Bar was never a real project, just an idea/plan. Same with DART Expansion, just a strategy document, not a real project.

Yes Metro North was cancelled, but that is because the country was broke due to a once in a lifetime recession.

For each of those cases, the parties doing the cancellation wanted those projects to proceed, but there was no way we could have afforded to continue with them. That’s not the same as some politician deciding that, for example, Luas is a bad idea and canning it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,006 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Very interesting video, a much watch IMO.

It seems New Zealand has two problems, of which one we only sort of have.

1. They lack a pipeline of projects, so they keep losing experienced staff and have to rebuild for each project
    2. Political interference, political parties campaign based on project ideas, build x, not y and chop and change when they get into government.

We are actually very lucky we don't have the second issue. We genuinely have cross party support on the projects and no one really campaigns based on them.

One good thing about the Irish government setup is that the civil service transcends changes in government. Infrastructure plans are typically developed by civil servants and planning experts in DoT, NTA, TII and generally accepted by the political parties. It means big long term plans can survive changes in government.

On the first point, yes the pipeline of projects it a problem we have suffered and felt over the last 15 years. In the 2000's we actually got really good with this with a pipeline of motorway projects and Luas projects and as result saw excellent results.

Unfortunately we lost it with the recession and now have to rebuild those skills and talents again now.

This is actually why I'm not as negative as some people on this form. We are lucky not to have political interference and once we get up and going like we did in the 2000's we are actually very good at delivering projects.

We just need to get that pipeline up and running again and most importantly keep it going for decades to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,383 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Won't stop a future government cancelling another project because we can't afford it/it isn't correct/the last government made the plan/whatever.

Infrastructure plans will be changed, that is one of the bad things about Irish democracy.

• Advertisement

Well, ignoring the fact that Shane Ross interfered in this project and got the southern half cancelled! Or that Varadkar straight up cancelled the previous iteration instead of just deferring it for a few years.

And I wouldn't really agree with the point that there's cross party support for infrastructure, over the 15 years infrastructure has been very much bottom of the barrel when it comes to priorities, so to me it's more just a case that nobody bothers having any alternative plans as it's not seen as important.

Maybe having infrastructure plans detached from politics is a good thing, but on the other side we can see where it leaves us, with no accountability or urgency to get anything done within election cycles

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,312 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He couldn't defer it, the planning permission would have run out anyway.

I'm sorry, but you are just wrong about this, we really don't have any history of that sort of interference in this country.

You don't understand how bad things are in New Zealand and some other countries.

Imagine FG/FF saying we should build more Luas lines and actually start those projects, but then SF saying they don't like Luas and prefer BRT instead and campaigning on that, they get into government, cancel the in process LUAS projects and start all over again with BRT. And all when there is plenty of money available for the project, not during a recession or anything like that.

Fortunately we have never seen anything like that here.

Well, ignoring the fact that Shane Ross interfered in this project and got the southern half cancelled!

Except that isn't what happened! They discovered water mains that feed half the city was where they planned to dig and decided to avoid the issue for now as it would have delayed the project and make it much more expensive.

Or that Varadkar straight up cancelled the previous iteration instead of just deferring it for a few years.

Again, we were broke with a once in a lifetime recession and was more driven by Troika then our own government.

People really need to stop repeating these stupid myths!!

It was given 10 year permission in 2010 was it not? The new plan was announced in I think 2015 so there should have been plenty of time to get up and running

• Advertisement

Metro North couldn't be built per the given permission, as the Laus Cross City was built over it. There were a bunch of other reasons why it couldn't be done anymore as the city had changed since the original plans.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,148 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

It’s particularly egregious that NZ cancelled that project as it was to serve Auckland’s airport. They cancelled it because they discovered it would cost too much but if you want something big and high quality you’ve got to spend big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

As if the no city has ever built metro under a tramline before. It's the luas, not the mariana trench

Of course, but the point is working around it would have been a major change and thus it would have invalidated the original Railway Order for Metro North and the would have to redesign at least that part and go back to ABP for a new Railway Order anyway.

As a result, no the original Metro North project couldn't be delivered per the given RO.

And it wasn't the only thing that changed or would have necessitated changes. For example the cancelling of DART Underground and the big central Metro/DART station that was planned for under Stephens Green and the development of the DART+ project instead, which hinges on interchanging with Metrolink at Glasnevin, which couldn't work with the planned Metro North station at Drumcondra.

Of course, non of these are insurmountable, but there are major changes, that would require a major redesign and new planning application, which is basically what Metrolink is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The same Michael McDowell who told us that the Luas was doomed to failure and would never work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,935 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

When is a realistic start date for construction of this? For most of the population who don't follow this and long gave up on this as a pipedream in a country clearly incapable of delivering major projects in most people's lifetimes, like myself, it really is depressing. The planning system in this country needs to be completely overhauled and, frankly, made a lot less "democratic". It's appalling.

What's even more appalling is the government so obviously using that broken system to avoid doing anything and delaying.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭The Mathematician

I don't think it is democratic though. Democracy means following the will of the majority of the people. The planning system we have seems to allow individuals to dictate to a much larger extent than they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭jwm121

It's the same with the Dublin Airport cap. The planning system is failing this country and nothing seems to be being done about it.

There are a few things being done, there's a new planning bill that's slowly been making its way through the process that's supposed to streamline the whole thing and reduce the scope of appeals and objections. Though whether it works or just creates an even bigger mess by opening up a whole new set of easy judicial review possibilities remains to be seen.

There's also a new court being set up to deal specifically with planning appeals, again I don't know enough about it to know if it'll actually speed things up or in typical public service fashion will just be an extension of the existing glacial system that seems stuck in the 19th century

• Advertisement
Advertisement