Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do the burgers from Tesco, Aldi taste like s**t?

• 18-06-2021 6:13pm

I can't be the only one who thinks this.

It's much nicer to just buy the mince and make your own.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,023 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

They’ve all gone downhill since they had to replace the horse meat with low grade, reclaimed, meat “slurry”.

Nothing but connective tissue, eyelids and scrotum. You really do get what you pay for when it comes to meat.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Its down to the ingredents/spices etc added

Its same meat geos into a mackers burger

Source: know a few people working and do be in/out of the dawn burger plant in carrolls cross with work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

RossGeller wrote: »

That’s such a Rachel thing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Check the ingredients list for things like cumin or capsicum. Thats probably the culprit.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Check the ingredients list for things like cumin or capsicum. Thats probably the culprit.

Yah you don’t want none of that none of that cumin in your burggers. Going to taste a bit off alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭Archeron

Snot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Jizique

Those Aldi ones are surprisingly good; was very disappointed in ones from Dunnes and wouldn’t touch Tesco with a barge pole

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,146 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I avoid Tesco and Dunnes burgers as find them always over seasoned with chili pepper or spices.

Might try aldi ones.

M&S ultimate burger and Supervalu homestyle just let the beef do the talking.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I reckon the likes of McDonalds are strong-arming the suppliers to make them this way deliberately, with the threat of switching suppliers if a nice-tasting burger appears in Tesco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

iamstop wrote: »

Pretend meat products.
    Great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Archeron wrote: »
    Snot?

S'not wut it says on da label...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭ablelocks

the rib steak burgers in aldi are decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Hands down the best sausages you can get in Ireland:
    https://lindamccartneyfoods.co.uk/our-food/frozen-range/vegetarian-sausages

Hate to state the obvious but that's not a sausage as most of us define a sausage, ie pork based.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Just get them from a decent butcher. It's often not as expensive as you'd assume.

Why do the burgers from Tesco, Aldi taste like s**t?
    Archeron wrote: »
    Snot?

God no. I think there is only one thing the ** can mean.

Store bought "burgers" taste like one thing and one thing only -

sALt.

Forget "snot" I think "salt" is the worst insult you can level against any burger :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py9YW8rIylg&t=20s&ab_channel=FirstWeFeastFirstWeFeastVerified

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Favourite at the moment are the sirloin steak burgers from supervalu, prepared at the butcher counter.

Irish Black Angus Ultimate 8oz Beef Burgers are very good imo

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CornettoQueen

Love a good Turkey burger myself... Supervalu good quality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I like a good chicken bugger. They’re all the rage bow , have ye noticed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 48 Hint of Sarcasm

They’ve all gone downhill since they had to replace the horse meat with low grade, reclaimed, meat “slurry”.

Nothing but connective tissue, eyelids and scrotum. You really do get what you pay for when it comes to meat.
    I heard something like that being said before about burgers. How much of it is true?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

What a lazy and ignorant comment to make. You do realise the incredibly high standards that all retailers had to adopt after what happened back in 2013? All suppliers are audited several times a year and would you believe, the processors even put the ingredients on the label!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,508 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Tesco (in Ireland anyway) are renowned for sh1te meat

Had burgers out of Lidl and Super Valu and they were savage, although nothing will ever beat the ones you make yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

glasso wrote: »
    Irish Black Angus Ultimate 8oz Beef Burgers are very good imo

Had those in a bbq a few weeks ago and they were delicious. Everyone loved them.
    Tesco burgers are absolute scuther however

Motivator wrote: »
    What a lazy and ignorant comment to make. You do realise the incredibly high standards that all retailers had to adopt after what happened back in 2013? All suppliers are audited several times a year and would you believe, the processors even put the ingredients on the label!

Oh yeah, you really think you’re getting “choice cuts” used in that burger, do you? You’re paying a couple of quid, you’re getting the stuff that’s only called beef by the skin of its teeth.

Next you’ll be telling me the fart smell you get when you open cooked ham packets is a sign of good “quality” meat, not something that was, at one point, all a paste and formed to look like an actual slice of ham.

I’ve no problem with eating cheap meat but, be honest, you’re getting what you pay for with these products. Reclaimed connective tissue and the lowest grade of meat. It’s basically floor sweepings.

If you want good meat, go to a “reputable” butcher and pay for it. You can still have, and enjoy, your Findus Pancake or Fray Bentos steak and kidney dog food. Just don’t dress it up as anything more than it is.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Just get them from a decent butcher. It's often not as expensive as you'd assume.

This. I get burgers from the butcher at 1€ each and they are top notch.

Had those in a bbq a few weeks ago and they were delicious. Everyone loved them.
    Tesco burgers are absolute scuther however
    Where do you buy these burgers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,947 ✭✭✭Jizique

Where do you buy these burgers?

Black angus is aldi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

This. I get burgers from the butcher at 1€ each and they are top notch.

second this, would be surprised if any butcher's burgers were not streets ahead of supermarkets. Mine does an amazing burger made from rib eye - some amount of fat in it but the taste is divine, and for just 2.50e

Motivator wrote: »

Chicken nuggets and the beloved chicken "fillet" (lol) are mechanically recovered odds and sods, bulked out with other additives, mixed into a bright pink slurry if you want to call it that and then formed into shapes for cooking and consumption.

Bon appetite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I tried them both they were tasteless tripe.....the dog wouldn't even eat them and it's a Springer spaniel and they are hungry dogs. It just smelled them and walked 20-30 feet away it then turned around and looked at me with disappointed eyes

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,388 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Minced beef from a butcher simply formed into a burger and fried or grilled would be very bland. So the great results being obtained must be down in part to the nature of the additives people are using.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Suckler

Hands down....shoehorning an agenda in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Aldis frozen burgers are not the worst but the chilled burgers aren't nice. Some sort of pepper they add to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Next you’ll be telling me the fart smell you get when you open cooked ham packets is a sign of good “quality” meat, not something that was, at one point, all a paste and formed to look like an actual slice of ham. .

You should educate yourself on this before making a stupid comment.

The odor coming from vacuum packed meats is a type of harmless bacteria that you normally would never smell if it was mixed with oxygen.

As the vacuum process which gives it a longer shelf life takes the oxygen out, the odor of that bacteria is more pronounced for a few seconds after opening a packet.

Doesn't matter if it's cheap picnic ham or free range breast of chicken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Its same meat geos into a mackers burger

I don't think so Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Or make your own mince. And the burgers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

iamstop wrote:
    Hands down the best sausages you can get in Ireland:

Respectfully there is no such thing as a vegetarian sausage despite what they claim on the box

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

You know the meat from Tesco's is sh1te when even the cat and dog refuse to touch it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You haven't lived until you've had a soylent green burger. But the taste varies from person to person.

I'll get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Do you remember the ones they had in the 1990s that looked like some kind of heat proof coasters or maybe an abrasive pad to be fitted to a drill?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

ablelocks wrote: »
    the rib steak burgers in aldi are decent.

+1

Very nice indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

The Aldi Rib Steak Smoked Oak & 3 Chilli burgers are really good.

Darc19 wrote: »
    You should educate yourself on this before making a stupid comment.

The odor coming from vacuum packed meats is a type of harmless bacteria that you normally would never smell if it was mixed with oxygen.

As the vacuum process which gives it a longer shelf life takes the oxygen out, the odor of that bacteria is more pronounced for a few seconds after opening a packet.

Doesn't matter if it's cheap picnic ham or free range breast of chicken.

Nothing stupid about what I said there, chief. I’m well aware of what the smell is and how it’s produced and, as you’ve clearly pointed out yourself, it’s not an indicator of “quality”.

The “meat slurry” lobby is out in force, it would seem. Praising all the quality, choice, cuts in all their emulsified glory.

The secret to tasty burgers is loads of fat, salt, and msg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The Homestyle Quarter Pounders from Lidl are quite tasty and the Angus ones in the black box in Aldi are nice too.
    Too many burger snobs around. Nobody was snobby about frozen burgers years ago.

fussyonion wrote: »
    Too many burger snobs around. Nobody was snobby about frozen burgers years ago.

Because we ate any old shyte.
    Grey frozen burgers
    Frozen pizza with rubber toppings
    Rubbery Calvita cheese

Now we eat shyte if theres enough flavourings, fat or sugar to mask the shiittyness

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

fussyonion wrote: »
    Nobody was snobby about frozen burgers years ago.

Yeah, and I remember what constituted a 'curry' or 'pizza' in the 90s as well.

Never again in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Ninap

Lot of posters saying ‘make your own’ with no reference to the type of minced beef to use. Cheap mince is crap. Whereas freshly minced rib steak is great. And how you cook it has a huge influence too. A charcoal grill will impart a lot of flavour.

• Advertisement
Advertisement