Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do the burgers from Tesco, Aldi taste like s**t?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Motivator wrote: »
    What a lazy and ignorant comment to make. You do realise the incredibly high standards that all retailers had to adopt after what happened back in 2013? All suppliers are audited several times a year and would you believe, the processors even put the ingredients on the label!

Chicken nuggets and the beloved chicken "fillet" (lol) are mechanically recovered odds and sods, bulked out with other additives, mixed into a bright pink slurry if you want to call it that and then formed into shapes for cooking and consumption.

Bon appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

iamstop wrote: »

I tried them both they were tasteless tripe.....the dog wouldn't even eat them and it's a Springer spaniel and they are hungry dogs. It just smelled them and walked 20-30 feet away it then turned around and looked at me with disappointed eyes

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 20,659 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Minced beef from a butcher simply formed into a burger and fried or grilled would be very bland. So the great results being obtained must be down in part to the nature of the additives people are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭Suckler

Hands down....shoehorning an agenda in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Aldis frozen burgers are not the worst but the chilled burgers aren't nice. Some sort of pepper they add to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Next you’ll be telling me the fart smell you get when you open cooked ham packets is a sign of good “quality” meat, not something that was, at one point, all a paste and formed to look like an actual slice of ham. .

You should educate yourself on this before making a stupid comment.

The odor coming from vacuum packed meats is a type of harmless bacteria that you normally would never smell if it was mixed with oxygen.

As the vacuum process which gives it a longer shelf life takes the oxygen out, the odor of that bacteria is more pronounced for a few seconds after opening a packet.

Doesn't matter if it's cheap picnic ham or free range breast of chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Its same meat geos into a mackers burger

I don't think so Tim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

RossGeller wrote: »
    I can't be the only one who thinks this.

It's much nicer to just buy the mince and make your own.

Or make your own mince. And the burgers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

iamstop wrote:
    Hands down the best sausages you can get in Ireland:

Respectfully there is no such thing as a vegetarian sausage despite what they claim on the box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

You know the meat from Tesco's is sh1te when even the cat and dog refuse to touch it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

You haven't lived until you've had a soylent green burger. But the taste varies from person to person.

I'll get my coat

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Do you remember the ones they had in the 1990s that looked like some kind of heat proof coasters or maybe an abrasive pad to be fitted to a drill?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

ablelocks wrote: »
    the rib steak burgers in aldi are decent.

+1

Very nice indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,206 ✭✭✭ongarite

The Aldi Rib Steak Smoked Oak & 3 Chilli burgers are really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Darc19 wrote: »
    You should educate yourself on this before making a stupid comment.

The odor coming from vacuum packed meats is a type of harmless bacteria that you normally would never smell if it was mixed with oxygen.

As the vacuum process which gives it a longer shelf life takes the oxygen out, the odor of that bacteria is more pronounced for a few seconds after opening a packet.

Doesn't matter if it's cheap picnic ham or free range breast of chicken.

Nothing stupid about what I said there, chief. I’m well aware of what the smell is and how it’s produced and, as you’ve clearly pointed out yourself, it’s not an indicator of “quality”.

The “meat slurry” lobby is out in force, it would seem. Praising all the quality, choice, cuts in all their emulsified glory.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

The secret to tasty burgers is loads of fat, salt, and msg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

The Homestyle Quarter Pounders from Lidl are quite tasty and the Angus ones in the black box in Aldi are nice too.
    Too many burger snobs around. Nobody was snobby about frozen burgers years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

fussyonion wrote: »
    Too many burger snobs around. Nobody was snobby about frozen burgers years ago.

Because we ate any old shyte.
    Grey frozen burgers
    Frozen pizza with rubber toppings
    Rubbery Calvita cheese

Now we eat shyte if theres enough flavourings, fat or sugar to mask the shiittyness

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭pioneerpro

fussyonion wrote: »
    Nobody was snobby about frozen burgers years ago.

Yeah, and I remember what constituted a 'curry' or 'pizza' in the 90s as well.

Never again in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Ninap

Lot of posters saying ‘make your own’ with no reference to the type of minced beef to use. Cheap mince is crap. Whereas freshly minced rib steak is great. And how you cook it has a huge influence too. A charcoal grill will impart a lot of flavour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Aldi bean burgers are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,168 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I worked in Tesco before, most of the meat products are made from rats or a combination of old shoes and tarmac

Ninap wrote: »
    Lot of posters saying ‘make your own’ with no reference to the type of minced beef to use. Cheap mince is crap. Whereas freshly minced rib steak is great. And how you cook it has a huge influence too. A charcoal grill will impart a lot of flavour.

They should also remember to have no less than 20% fat in the mince. This is from the BBC.

You want your burger to remain juicy so avoid going too lean. Choose a standard minced meat (usually around 20 % fat) or if you are set on leaner cuisine then 10 % fat is ok, don’t go for less. Beef is the typical meat used in burgers but you could use lamb or pork, or a mixture of beef and pork.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

With a great non-alcoholic beer and some excellent gluten-free buns, I am sure those would hands down constitute the most pleasure-free meal one can cook ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I worked in Tesco before, most of the meat products are made from rats or a combination of old shoes and tarmac

I really call bs on that.. There is no way Tesco would get away with that..

DellyBelly wrote: »

They only use organic rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

DellyBelly wrote: »

Which part? The rat? Old shoes? Or the tarmac?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭passatman86

Ive often got the dunnes brand large pepper burgers and thought they are nice.. 4pk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

YFlyer wrote: »
    Aldi bean burgers are great.

Dog will not eat them either

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement