Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsure if its a scam website/Call/Text?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

corkie wrote: »
    Have you tried contacting them directly and asking?

https://www.nbshoesireland.com/contact_us.html

They have a big advert on the website: -

'Made in Ireland'

Was hoping to order now & not wait but maybe comtacting them is the best bet.

I know it says Made in Ireland - but wasnt sure if that is all items etc.

Would u still reccomend contacting them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Looking to order something from New Balance website - value is around 180 euros.

How do I figure out where the item is being delivered from etc. to understand if I am likely to get hit for additional costs.

It is the nbshoesireland website but not sure if that means much.

Thanks

Looks like a fake site to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,540 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Ogham wrote: »
    Looks like a fake site to me.

It is, this is the real one.

https://www.newbalance.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Alpha&Omega

Just wanted to give folks a heads up about an online shoe shop that's a scam.

http://www.grosserscher.de/ is the site. I found grosserscher.de in a google search because I was looking for sites with my size in a particular pair of trainers. But as soon as I clicked on it and saw all sizes were available, but at 1/3 of the price of elsewhere my suspicions were raised. A look around their site and it seemed all of their stock was a price that seems too good to be true.

It was confirmed for sure when I emailed the manufacturers of the trainers, and they explained that they no longer make that style of trainer (hence why my size was out of stock everywhere), that they also never heard of grosserscher.de who isn't one of their clients and never sent them any stock, and that some of the shoe sizes available on the scam site are not even manufactured by the original company.

Avoid!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Tbh while you may be correct, nothing you have said above necessarily means they are a scam website.

Looking at it, its just like like millions of other sites a normal rational person wouldn't order from in a fit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Alpha&Omega

Tbh while you may be correct, nothing you have said above necessarily means they are a scam website.

Care to add something to the shopping cart, and put your credit card details into their account and prove me wrong?

Just take one proper look at the site. It's dodgy as you like. The 'Contact Us' form doesn't work either.

As for the 'normal rational person' remark. Not everyone is as smart or wonderful as you apparently, hence the heads up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Alpha&#937 wrote: »
    Care to add something to the shopping cart, and put your credit card details into their account and prove me wrong?

Why would I, no matter what it's status is, I wouldn't consider ordering from some non entity site like that anyway. Pretty sure most wouldn't.

There are millions of websites the same as it

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

OP, honestly there's no benefit to this thread.

There are countless millions of scam sites, we don't need a thread for each one. We're better off with one thread that educates people on how to spot them.

If the prices on this website were your red flag then I'm sorry to say you missed numerous other red flags before this, including but not limited to

- The simply awful design of the website
    - Honestly, the website is awful and has a terrible mix of English and german
    - But seriously, the website is just awful, its from the 1990's
    - None of the social media link works
    - There's no proper company info available including company number, registered address, phone or email

Honestly, I find it strange that you had to waste time emailing the manufacturer to realise this was a scam website

• Registered Users Posts: 6,712 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Looking at it, its just like like millions of other sites a normal rational person wouldn't order from in a fit.

True enough - sites like this one: http://www.praxis-dr-mark.de/ - an exact copy, apart from the stock.

There are red flags all over the site (links to social media pages go nowhere; .de domain even though the site is entirely written in Dutch; laws of California apply; owned by the Onze Winkel Group Ltd, so not Dutch, not German, not American ... ) so added to what the OP has pointed out everything points to it being a scam/phising site.

At this time, when people in Ireland are looking for alternatives to their favourite GB sites, there's nothing wrong with pointing out fake shopfronts masquerading as .de stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

The biggest giveaway is that the language of a supposedly German site is Dutch!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The biggest giveaway is that the language of a supposedly German site is Dutch!

In my defense, I don't know german and went purely on .de :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's Dutch and also the site is in http when any respectable ecommerce site is in https

• Registered Users Posts: 34 AgnesCalhoun1

Hey, came across this site that is selling Brooks shoes at low prices 40-70 per pair. Any ideas if this is legit? cascadiaireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 17,278 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Hey, came across this site that is selling Brooks shoes at low prices 40-70 per pair. Any ideas if this is legit? cascadiaireland.com

Scam

• Registered Users Posts: 7,191 ✭✭✭corkie

Android users warned of Flubot messaging malware
    Users encouraged to download tracking app for missed parcels that is actually malware

This password-stealing Android malware is spreading quickly: Here's what to watch out for
    FluBot is designed to steal personal information including bank details - and infected users are being exploited to spread the malware to their contacts.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Itchyness

Selling an item on donedeal and the guy wants to arrange courier pick up but to also pay via "DHL" using dhl.com.forpays.info / cashxxxxxxxx I presume its the basic "we over paid you" scam. Website was only set up 2 days ago. Just putting it out there for others.

That is redirecting to DHL

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

i got a text the other day about a delivery from DHL (which i was expecting one) and clicked on the link - i only copped afterwards that it was coming from MCT/Suitopia which is not a delivery i was expecting.

I presume this was the flubot? I ran a scan on my phone and it says no threat found

Got another today which i didn't click on, again from DHL saying "pending package" - again, i presume this is flubot?

Is it likely with the no threats found on the scan that i'm actually ok??

You're fine as long as you didn't download anything

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

fritzelly wrote: »

No, i didn't download anything - the link on the first one brought be to a DHL page and "does not exist" message

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Anyone have experience with impericon.com or metalshop.eu? My finger is itching to crab a few Led Zeppelin shirts but I just don't know whether to trust these sites or not. Then there's emp.ie but don't trust it either.

They all look fine - at least not screaming "I'm some chinese scam"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭carveone

fritzelly wrote: »

It's a bit brute force - it's a link to pull an APK which, as it's not from Playstore, you have to manually install, changing your phone settings in order to do so.

Sophos had an example which shows a nice looking "DHL" website (which is not DHL) giving you step by step instructions on how to override your phone and install the malware!

You'd think people wouldn't do this, but apparently they do.

(Myself, I blame cookies for this "yes to everything" default approach which is so damaging. You've clicked yes-whatever-now-go-away 300 times today, why not one more?)

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

carveone wrote: »
    (Myself, I blame cookies for this "yes to everything" default approach which is so damaging. You've clicked yes-whatever-now-go-away 300 times today, why not one more?)
    That's certainly a most apposite observation carveone

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Does anyone know if this site is genuine or not?

Has anyone here purchased anything from them, I see loads of ads in adverts but no purchases.

https://www.clicabox.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,312 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's selling unbranded junk which you will then receive the complain the quality is absolute rubbish. I would say it's genuine in that you will receive something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Never heard of them. Decent reviews on https://ie.trustpilot.com/review/clicabox.com - the registration checks out on CRO.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭wassie

And their sole contact details for anything is an email address - says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Yes that's what I was thinking when I done a whois.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Was actually looking at them a few months ago myself. The fact that it's such a basic Shopify site was a big red flag for me too. Also the fact that there are several examples of strangely-phrased sentences and curious English. I find it very difficult to take them seriously.

Advertisement