Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuna from the deli- just as good?

Options
  • 11-10-2020 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

I regularly get tuna and sweetcorn sandwiches from my local deli and although there is a slightly more mayonnaisey type texture compared to fresh tuna, i still enjoy it. Am i getting the benefits of tuna in this form or is it always best to eat it freshly prepared- thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭vafankillar

as a general rule the tuna mayo sandwhich really isn't the best. the mayo is used as a filler and you end up not actually get that much tuna, meaning more calories and not much protein (at least per weight). tho it's far from the worst option, so you're having this offer a chicken fillet roll or it helps you adhere to a generally healthy diet, i'd say don't feel guilty about it or anything.

but if you're looking for an improved alternative, john west have a few flavoured tins and pouches with a nice variety of flavours. making your own sandwhich with these would give you an all round more nutritious (and filling imo) option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dmcardleie

The tuna may not be the issue:

White bread (or dyed brown coloured bread)
    Margarine
    then mayo - probably made from rapeseed oil - high in omega 6.
    Tuna - if it's in water, that's OK, if it's in sunflower, again more omega 6 oil, produced in a factory.

Maybe try making your own sandwich and bring it to work?

If you don't have time in the morning, prepare it the evening before...

Advertisement